PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking magazines ?

Niels J. Larsen
10-19-2005, 5:29 PM
I'm currently subscribing to Popular Woodworking and Fine Woodworking magazines.

Both give me a lot of useful information - mostly on joinery and techniques - not so much on actual inspiration as the Shaker style and the likes (which you guys in the States seem to like a lot :)) are not my style (after all - I am european :D ).

Are there any other woodworking magazines out there of a quality comparable to the two mentioned above, and if possible which focus more on the european style (I think you call it contemporary ?).

BTW - I already subscribe to the ONLY danish magazine...

Thanks,
/Niels

Andrew Ault
10-19-2005, 5:34 PM
Niels,

Check out Woodwork magazine. They cover a variety of styles, including contemporary designs.

Their website: http://www.woodwork-mag.com/

- Andy

Rob Russell
10-19-2005, 5:36 PM
Niels,

I can't tell you what mags to go looking for, but I can tell you that I've let my subscription to Wood runout and I've been getting it for more than a decade. I subscribed to American Woodworker for a few years quite some years ago and there is nothing I've seen about AW that would make me want to subscribe again.

I do have a subscription to Fine Woodworking and will keep that one up.

Rob

Niels J. Larsen
10-20-2005, 9:40 AM
Andrew: Thanks for the heads-up - I think I just might subscribe to that one :)

Rob: Can you elaborate on why you'd let your subscription to Wood runout ?

Thanks!

/Niels

Andy Hoyt
10-20-2005, 9:49 AM
I'm letting my prescription to WOOD run out too. Why? I'm tired of being talked down to; and they rarely inspire.

Rod Upfold
10-20-2005, 9:55 AM
I had Wood Magazine subscription years ago and then they started putting articles in that I wasn't interested in....I never resubscribed to the magazine. For years I would buy magazines from the stores that had interesting articles...now I haven't purchased a woodworking magazine for about 6 months. They haven't had anything in them that I want to pay something like $8.00 plus tax for...I usually find my info now on the internet and at wood forums.

Hank Knight
10-20-2005, 10:19 AM
Niels,

I'll second Andrew's suggestion that you look at "Woodwork" magazine. They devote a fair amount of space to studio furniture and artistic woodworking. Many people find it too "artsy" for their tastes, but I like it. I find the artsy aspect a refreshing change from the traditional woodworking magazines, not that I don't enjoy them too - I do. "Woodwork" frequently has meaty articles on technique, tools and shop fixtures. I've let my "American Woodworker" subscription expire and I'm going to replace it with "Woodwork."

Hank

Chris Barton
10-20-2005, 10:51 AM
There are a number of good magazines out there but, the bigest problem is that they have all fallen prey to a pure market mentality. That is why you see lots of projects that are either Shaker or Mission/Arts and Craft style in their pages. This is because they are mostly strait lines, simple joints, and look like they came out of a Pottery Barn catalog. I can remember when I first started taking FWW in the 70's and it was clearly devoted to master level woodworking. While they have recently improved their content, they have come WAY DOWN in their quality of content as compared to their distant past. Popular Woodworking is a good mag but, again, mainly aimed at the novice or hobbiest woodworker.

Dennis McDonaugh
10-20-2005, 11:36 AM
I'm currently subscribing to Popular Woodworking and Fine Woodworking magazines.

Both give me a lot of useful information - mostly on joinery and techniques - not so much on actual inspiration as the Shaker style and the likes (which you guys in the States seem to like a lot :)) are not my style (after all - I am european :D ).

Are there any other woodworking magazines out there of a quality comparable to the two mentioned above, and if possible which focus more on the european style (I think you call it contemporary ?).

BTW - I already subscribe to the ONLY danish magazine...

Thanks,
/Niels

Niels, do you mean plywood furniture?:D There's a British (I think) magazine called Traditional Woodworking that seems to cater to the European market. Lots of ads for equipment I've never heard of with prices in Euros. They have a mix of reproduction and contemporary projects. Not a lot of mission or shaker, probably because those are sorta American Styles.

Niels J. Larsen
10-20-2005, 12:07 PM
Niels, do you mean plywood furniture?:D There's a British (I think) magazine called Traditional Woodworking that seems to cater to the European market. Lots of ads for equipment I've never heard of with prices in Euros. They have a mix of reproduction and contemporary projects. Not a lot of mission or shaker, probably because those are sorta American Styles.

Hehe - nah that wasn't what I had in mind when writing "European Style" :D

Thanks for the heads-up!

/Niels

Rob Russell
10-20-2005, 12:23 PM
In terms of Wood, I've gotten tired of the types of furniture they seem to do, what I feel is a "shop in a garage" mentality and as was mentioned, the more basic level of what seems to be done. I've just found myself skimming through the magazine and filing it with all the other issues. Don't need to do that.

Scott Loven
10-20-2005, 12:43 PM
I had Wood Magazine subscription years ago and then they started putting articles in that I wasn't interested in....I never resubscribed to the magazine. For years I would buy magazines from the stores that had interesting articles...now I haven't purchased a woodworking magazine for about 6 months. They haven't had anything in them that I want to pay something like $8.00 plus tax for...I usually find my info now on the internet and at wood forums.
Ya, but it is hard to balance the PC in your lap when you are in the bathroom!

Mike Vermeil
10-20-2005, 5:06 PM
Niels -

I agree with the others. I think you'll find Woodwork much more to your liking as far as "style" goes. It's from a much smaller publishing house than FWW, and covers the studio market very well, especially that in Northern California. I used to subscribe to it along with FWW, but ran out of time to read them both each month.

Charlie Plesums
10-20-2005, 9:53 PM
I got a multi-year subscription to Wood magazine that is not likely to be renewed. They have interesting simple projects, but they are presented as a cookbook guide... "cut a piece 14 inches long from board A", but we won't tell you what that piece is until 4 pages later...or if there was a reason it should be from board A (other than that is the best layout for the board the author found, your results may vary).

Fine Woodworking teaches technique in their articles, even though I am not likely to build the project they are describing.

Andy Hoyt
10-20-2005, 10:08 PM
I got a multi-year subscription to Wood magazine that is not likely to be renewed. They have interesting simple projects, but they are presented as a cookbook guide... "cut a piece 14 inches long from board A", but we won't tell you what that piece is until 4 pages later...or if there was a reason it should be from board A (other than that is the best layout for the board the author found, your results may vary).

Fine Woodworking teaches technique in their articles, even though I am not likely to build the project they are describing.

You got it Charlie. Right on!

Ian Barley
10-21-2005, 3:38 AM
Niels

"Furniture & Cabinetmaking" might be of interest. Published in UK it tends to lean more to the craftsman pro end of the market. They do feature a wider variety of styles.

http://www.thegmcgroup.com/item--Furniture-and-Cabinet-Making--1010FC.html

Niels J. Larsen
10-21-2005, 4:25 AM
Niels

"Furniture & Cabinetmaking" might be of interest. Published in UK it tends to lean more to the craftsman pro end of the market. They do feature a wider variety of styles.

http://www.thegmcgroup.com/item--Furniture-and-Cabinet-Making--1010FC.html

You hit it on the head Ian - I ordered a subscription yesterday :D

Thanks though! ;)

/Niels