PDA

View Full Version : Crescent 12" Jointer

Josh Hulit
04-15-2017, 9:34 PM
Hey everyone,
Just bought a 12" Crescent Jointer but its missing the blade guard. Can I buy one for this machine or am I better off making something.
Thanks,
Josh H.

peter gagliardi
04-15-2017, 10:19 PM
When I got my American jointer, it had a well made copy of a swing away guard.
I believe Northfield will sell a new porkchop style to fit that if you don't want to make one.

Matt Day
04-16-2017, 7:31 AM
When I got my American jointer, it had a well made copy of a swing away guard.
I believe Northfield will sell a new porkchop style to fit that if you don't want to make one.

It'll be expensive though!

Try posting a WTB in the BOYD section at OWWM (owwm.org). Or check eBay. Last resort, make one.

Curt Harms
04-16-2017, 8:09 AM
There are opinions about 'porkchop' vs. 'bridge' guards. If you can't find the guard of your choice for suitable $, take a look at the bridge guard on 12" jointer/planer combos. I have a 12" Jet that uses a bridge guard. It attaches with 2 bolts on the side of the outfeed table and I'll bet you could buy one for less than $100, or make one for a lot less.

Mark Wooden
04-16-2017, 8:23 AM
Try Woodworkers Tool Works- www.woodworkerstoolworks.com - and ask to speak to Bobby , they have rertofit pork chop guards also.

Josh Hulit
04-16-2017, 10:51 AM
Thank you everyone, that gives me some good options. Always helpful responses here.

Jim Becker
04-16-2017, 10:56 AM
I'm personally a fan of a "bridge" (Euro) guard for wide jointers. Some folks don't prefer them, but for me, I feel safer than with a "pork chop" type guard...99% of my jointer use is flattening boards. I rarely edge joint because I have a slider for straight line rip after flattening/thicknessing but when I do, the bridge only has to expose the thickness of the board plus a "proverbial hair" of space along the fence.

Josh Hulit
04-16-2017, 4:53 PM
Thanks Jim, havent had any exp with a bridge guard, only pork chops. This might be the way to go as this machine will be used almost exclusively for flattening.

Jim Becker
04-16-2017, 6:25 PM
Being able to drag the board back over the bridge guard for the next pass is a really nice thing and it goes down to the table with the weight of the board. That's not something that's a great idea with a pork-chop, although certainly possible. My J/P actually came with a pork-chop originally and I really hated it...so much so that the cost of the bridge guard became almost of no consideration. LOL But this is a subjective thing for sure...

Curt Harms
04-17-2017, 6:28 AM
Thanks Jim, havent had any exp with a bridge guard, only pork chops. This might be the way to go as this machine will be used almost exclusively for flattening.

Then that would favor the bridge guard for me. IMO bridge guard is better for face jointing, pork chop for edge.

Martin Wasner
04-17-2017, 12:48 PM
I stopped at the Northfield Foundry to get a pork chop guard for my 12" SAC. They didn't seem too hopeful in how it would mount to my machine and last. They want it sitting in a lot of cast iron.
I think it was about $700, but that seems obscenely high, and my memory of the cost is likely off.

If you can justify the cost, the SUVA guard looks very nice. I've never used one though.

Then that would favor the bridge guard for me. IMO bridge guard is better for face jointing, pork chop for edge.

I kinda feel similar, neither is optimal.