PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 141 BS Semi-Gloat and Ideas Needed

john lawson
04-15-2017, 8:19 PM
So my local guild had an auction and I bought a Powermatic 141 Bandsaw. I have lusted after one of these for years and since it came up locally I bit. My "gloat" is only that I finally got one, I may have paid a few dollars more than I should have but I have gotten to that point in life that having certain tools is almost as much fun as woodworking. I had looked at it prior to the auction and knew it was a little rough and I could not be at the auction so I had a friend bid for it. I already have a Minimax with a 1" carbide blade so this will be my small bandsaw for intricate work and I will probably put a 1/4" or 3/16" blade on and just leave it like that. Not really worried about resaw or large work.

So I got it home and ran it. I believe it may be a jewel mechanically. It runs smooth, tires look fairly new, good linkbelt, almost new mobile base, guides are all there and everything appears original except the motor. And there is where I need a little advice or ideas. Whoever put the brand new Baldor 3/4 HP motor on it did not know how to adjust the pulley and hacked out the front. There was a filter on the front and I thought there would be a small hole cut out for ventilation, but no, he really hacked at it. The back motor cover is also missing so I knew I would have to look for one of those or fabricate one. But the job he did on the front is a little surprising.

I may or may not want to do a full restoration. I have done that on a couple of machines and this would be a worthy candidate, but I will use it for awhile before I decide. But I have to do something with the sharp unsafe sheet metal eventually.

So, for those of you who have faced this, did you weld and grind, make a medallion and put over the hole, any ideas how to hide this ugly scar?????????????

Thanks

Walter Plummer
04-16-2017, 7:21 PM
I'm not sure what to do about the front of the saw but when I was working on my Powermatic 6" jointer I found out the rear door is the same size (part) as your bandsaw. It may have been used on other machines as well.

Bill Dufour
04-16-2017, 8:25 PM
On my shaper I hacked out. a 6x6 square hole so I could change the spindle from the side instead of the back. I used split wire loom from an auto parts store to go over the cut edge. Looks sort of like tuck and roll upholstery.
Bill

Carroll Courtney
04-16-2017, 9:01 PM
I guess in order to make the setup you have work you could make a raise panel then using a mig welder tack it in place the weld it together.If you have a mig welder or know of someone who has one????That Baldor motor you have is worth a pretty penny so I say try to make your setup work for you.But if you have another motor then cut out that hole square to make filling it in easier say with a 10"x10" piece of 16ga metal.But welding thin metal you will have to weld in short lengths,maybe 1" here then skip an 1" then weld another 1".Having a PM141 is an honor to own so any time or money you invest is well worth the effort.

john lawson
04-16-2017, 9:12 PM
I was able to adjust the pulley and set it closer to the motor, thus I could loosen the mounting bolts and slide the motor back, there was no need to cut out the front. Oh well.

Good information about the jointer cover being the same, I'll look for one. Thanks

Ron Brese
04-17-2017, 7:39 AM
Nice score on the Gumby saw. I restored a PM 143 a couple years ago. It's been a great saw. Same as the 141 but with a gearbox. When I replaced the motor in my saw I discovered that a 1 1/2 hp motor was as large as I could go without cutting a hole in the base. At that, one end of the motor was quite close to the interior surface of the base. If you decide to do a restore on this saw it would lend an opportunity to make and attach a motor cover over the cutout to keep debris out of the motor.

If you frequent the OWWM forum you may see shop made machine bases fabricated from all manner of materials. This would be another idea that would also allow you to become quite creative in designing a more decorative base for this saw than was standard from Powermatic.

Below is a before and after of my saw,

Ron

Before

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-QKauBqgr6DM/VQmjJYcBN6I/AAAAAAAABq4/OuB3YC7k0wQ/s1100/DSC_0410.jpg

After,

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Xl4g9PwU5Hs/VQnaHC-brcI/AAAAAAAABr0/wtJ0f_daYcE/s1100/gumby-1.jpg