PDA

View Full Version : Stairbuilding 101

Richard Wolf
10-19-2005, 5:21 PM
I realize that stairs are built differently in different parts of the country. This is how they are built in the North East.
Step 1; A template is used to route out a plow in the stringer to accept a tread and riser. This is also a hidden gloat because I just got a new stair template, these have been non exsistent for the last 20 years, because no one was producing them. A stairbuilder that I know in Pa. has just started makeing these availible for sale, so I jumped on it. Before this, it was nessersery to make your own template for plywood.
Step 2; Add treads and risers.
Step 3; Glue and bang in wedges to hold treads and risers.
Step 4; Add screws and glue blocks underneth.
Step 5; Ready for delivery.

Richard

Scott Coffelt
10-19-2005, 5:27 PM
great template you have there, what a time saver I am sure. Any idea what he'll be selling those at?

Richard Wolf
10-19-2005, 5:43 PM
Scott, It sells for $679.00 plus shipping. Not for the DIY that needs one staircase.

Richard

Peter Stahl
10-19-2005, 5:51 PM
I realize that stairs are built differently in different parts of the country. This is how they are built in the North East.
Step 1; A template is used to route out a plow in the stringer to accept a tread and riser. This is also a hidden gloat because I just got a new stair template, this have been non exsistent for the last 20 years, because no one was producing them. A stairbuilder that I know in Pa. has just started makeing these availible for sale, so I jumped on it. Before this, it was nessersery to make your own template for plywood.
Step 2; Add treads and risers.
Step 3; Glue and bang in wedges to hold treads and risers.
Step 4; Add screws and glue blocks underneth.
Step 5; Ready for delivery.

Richard

Nice template Richard but I thought it was cheeper to buy them premade? What type of wood do you normally use for them, fir? Really like your work also.

Todd Davidson
10-19-2005, 5:53 PM
That template is awesome. Am surprised that it's taken 20 years to come into existence. Bet it makes work a bit easier. What is the template constructed of?

Richard Wolf
10-19-2005, 6:06 PM
Peter, precut stringers are really only for deck work where you can fudge around with making them fit. All houses have different run and rise so each staircase is different. The stair in the photo is white oak treads, the stringers are 1 1/4 ply. Houses are getting bigger and with 10' cielings the stringers are almost 18' long, so I scarf jointed two 10' pieces of ply to make it up.

Todd, the template is machined out of alumium. It weighs 30 lbs. I think Detla was the last one to make a template and its very hard to even find a used one.

Richard

Steve Clardy
10-19-2005, 6:10 PM
I emailed the guy that you sent the info on to me Richard.
He sent pics.
I asked for a brochure. None.
Does look like a nice tool. I don't do that type of stairways.
So I guess I'll wait on getting a template till the need arises.

lloyd morris
10-19-2005, 6:31 PM
Richard,As always, your post was enjoyable, informative and was easy to understand for those of us who are modest woodworkers and DIYers. Thanks for the post and the pictures.Lloyd

Bruce Page
10-19-2005, 6:58 PM
Scott, It sells for $679.00 plus shipping. Not for the DIY that needs one staircase.

RichardLooking at it, I didn't think it would be cheap! :eek:

John Miliunas
10-19-2005, 7:06 PM
Informative post, Richard! Nice template too, though me thinks I'll pass on that, as well!:eek: Sheeeesh...If my figures are correct, I should be able to cover my staircase and most of the railing for less $$$ than the template alone!:D You're right...NOT for the DIY! That said, for a guy who makes a living at it, I'm sure it's the cat's meow and a great timesaver. And, for guys like you, time is money, especially when it helps to retain the high standard for quality, which you keep. Nice!:) :cool:

Jerry Clark
10-19-2005, 8:09 PM
Richard, Thanks for sharing--you always show something interesting and get us thinking-- be kinda easy to make a plywood templete. And as always, GREAT work! :D

Russ Massery
10-19-2005, 8:29 PM
Richard, Couple of questions, How wide of a staircase can you make with this design? do you still build a standard stringer style staircases? or is the way build all of them now?

Richard Wolf
10-19-2005, 8:38 PM
Russ, I'm not sure there is a limit to how wide you can go. I have built some wide stairs, 60", that I put a strong back under the treads, but thats another topic. In this area nobody builds rough stringers and than dresses the staircase like in other parts.
The template is also no good for open stringers, the kind of stairs where the treads over hang the stringer slightly, like in the picture below.

Richard

Ken Fitzgerald
10-19-2005, 8:53 PM
Thanks for posting Richard! As always we learn from your craftsmanship!

Corey Hallagan
10-19-2005, 10:36 PM
Pretty slick Richard! Thanks for the photos and the lesson!

corey

Jeff Sudmeier
10-20-2005, 8:24 AM
Richard, that sure does look like a massive tool! I have never seen stairs built this way, so it is very interesting :)