PDA

View Full Version : GPS App for Android

Dave Lehnert
04-14-2017, 11:35 PM
I'm new to a smart phone.
Need a recommendation for a Android GPS app.
Is it possible to use a smart phone GPS without using data? I use a prepaid phone so data usage is a concern.

Franklin Ferrier
04-14-2017, 11:58 PM
I've got both Navfree GPS World and MAPS.ME installed on my android tablet for travelling. I've used MAPS.ME in Australia, USA, Europe, India, Argentina, Chile and New Zealand and it all worked perfectly for finding my way around. However it didn't work so well as a turn by turn vehicle GPS replacement, I've used Navfree GPS for that.

If your phone has a true GPS for location both these apps work entirely offline, you just download the maps for the country you are in, best using wifi on your home network before you start. If the phone uses only the cell network as a location finder then they don't behave so well.

Jerome Stanek
04-15-2017, 8:22 AM
I have a prepaid Tracfone and it doesn't need data for gps I did come with maps

Brian Henderson
04-15-2017, 11:13 AM
If you're looking for a turn-by-turn GPS app, I use one called Navigator which seems to work just fine and doesn't use data, it just downloads the map and references that.

George Bokros
04-15-2017, 11:16 AM
There is a map app that comes with the Android OS, that is what I use.

Michael Weber
04-15-2017, 11:41 AM
Sygic. Downloads the maps so no data used. Free version is all I've ever used though you can pay for extra features. Be-on-Road also downloads maps and sometimes I prefer to use it. It's free

Chris Schoenthal
04-15-2017, 11:48 AM
I've used several, but HERE is one that I've used in the US and several countries abroad.
You just download the offline maps and it will allow searching and turn-by-turn while offline.

Dave Lehnert
04-15-2017, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the info.
Yes, turn-by-turn GPS app is what I am looking for.

George Bokros
04-15-2017, 2:40 PM
Thanks for the info.
Yes, turn-by-turn GPS app is what I am looking for.

The one that comes with the Android OS gives turn by turn. It uses Google Maps.

Jim Becker
04-15-2017, 5:38 PM
The phone comes with access to Google Maps for free, but there is some data use with it. However, you can pre-load areas you'll be in while on WiFi to help mitigate some of that data usage. While I'm not an Android user, I do have the TomTom app for my iPhone which provides a more traditional GPS solution with maps local on the device. I suspect it and other similar apps are available in the Google PlayStore for Android devices. Once Google Maps got as good as it is, I honestly stopped using the dedicated app to free up the space...

Rick Moyer
04-16-2017, 7:50 AM
If you're looking for a turn-by-turn GPS app, I use one called Navigator which seems to work just fine and doesn't use data, it just downloads the map and references that.
Yes, this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.navigation.navigator&hl=en