PDA

View Full Version : Why can't I buy a Makita cordless lawn mower in the US?

Dan Friedrichs
04-12-2017, 7:31 PM
I'm looking to buy a cordless electric lawn mower. I just don't have enough lawn to justify the hassle of keeping a gas can around (and oil, etc).

I'm looking at the Stihl one (https://www.stihlusa.com/products/lawn-mowers/homeowner-lawn-mowers/rma510/), which looks very impressive and not stupidly expensive (~$500 w/ battery and charger). But I don't need any of the other Stihl cordless power equipment, so the battery would only be used for the mower.

On the other hand, I'm quickly acquiring lots of Makita LXT-system tools and Li-Ion batteries, including their string trimmer, and I see they make several lawn mowers (http://www.makitauk.com/products/outdoor-power-equipment/lawn-mowers/cordless-lawn-mowers.html). But they don't show up on the US website, and I can't find any for sale in the US.

Anyone know anything about these? Why would they not sell them in the US?

I've tried using Van Huskey's trick of shopping at Amazon.de (they have it, here: https://www.amazon.de/Makita-DLM431Z-Akku-Rasenm%C3%A4her/dp/B01F2F5GT2/ref=sr_1_1?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1492040635&sr=8-1&keywords=DLM431), but it says "This item does not ship to the US" on every listing...

Chris Padilla
04-12-2017, 7:59 PM
Can it be purchased in Canada? Perhaps someone in the Great White North can help a fellow 'southern' Creeker?

Gordon Eyre
04-12-2017, 11:57 PM
Not sure I understand why you would want to buy a mower that is not sold in the USA? Stihl equipment is top notch and you wouldn't have warranty problems.

Dan Friedrichs
04-13-2017, 12:10 AM
That's a good question, Gordon :)

I already have the batteries and chargers, which I'd otherwise have to buy for the Stihl. Otherwise, I'd go for the Stihl.

I have actually found some sellers on Amazon Germany who will ship to the US! A bit expensive, but might be worth a shot.

I wonder why they choose not to sell in the US market, though.

Grant Wilkinson
04-13-2017, 7:28 AM
There are 2 on amazon.ca. One is $2300 and the other is $1500!! For that money, they should come with someone to push it around.

Rod Sheridan
04-13-2017, 9:03 AM
That's a good question, Gordon :)

I wonder why they choose not to sell in the US market, though.

Dan, does it meet US safety regulations? Perhaps it doesn't have an approval for the USA.................Regards, Rod.

John C Cox
04-13-2017, 10:44 AM
Or it could be that its a rebranded product thats already sold here under someone else's brand name. Pretty common.

Stephen Tashiro
04-13-2017, 12:21 PM
I'm looking to buy a cordless electric lawn mower. I just don't have enough lawn to justify the hassle of keeping a gas can around (and oil, etc).

I don't know about the particular mowers you linked. However, here are some generalities about battery operated mowers.
The less powerful ones might do for a lawn if you don't let the grass and weeds get too tall. If you do occasionally let the grass grow tall, I advise getting a more powerful battery operated type - one that has the power of a car battery rather than the power of a cordless tool battery. (I use a Black and Decker mower with a 36 V battery).

Based on my experience with the Black and Decker, powerful battery operated mowers have one major drawback - they are powerful enough to wreck themselves! If you hit an obstruction with a gas powered mower, you are likely only to damage the blade. However, the shaft of the battery powered mower may be the shaft of its electric motor, which is not very sturdy. If you hit an obstruction you may bend the shaft of the electric motor and the whole motor will have to be replaced.

The less powerful battery operator mowers just stall when you hit an obstruction and don't damage themselves. ( I also have a "Green Power" brand mower that uses two small 40 V batteries. It's light and very convenient to load in the van if I need to mow a friend's yard.)

Bert Kemp
04-16-2017, 2:39 PM
lok like you can buy it here

http://www.neobits.com/makita_xml02z_18v_x2_36v_lxt_lithium_ion_17_in_p10 419678.html?atc=gbs&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&scid=scplp10419678&sc_intid=10419678&gclid=CjwKEAjwrMzHBRDW3saA88aT80MSJACbvo1TkI1-SetSzAkjGs6iuhorPRU3LQ1yLyARci1nfEujkBoCPIjw_wcB