PDA

View Full Version : Older Laguan Resaw Master opinion?

Geoff Crimmins
04-12-2017, 11:36 AM
I've been looking for a larger bandsaw and came across a 1998 Laguna Resaw Master for sale. It's made by ACM, has a 4.8hp Italian motor and Laguna guides. It's of the vintage that's painted light gray and says "Laguna Tools 18" on the upper door. I have a couple of questions about this saw.

1. What's the general opinion of this saw, and how does it compare to current Laguna/ACM saws?

2. Apparently the Resaw Master will take up to a 2" blade. Is this just a matter of the blade actually fitting on the saw, or does it have a stiffer/stronger frame than the standard 18" bandsaw? Does it have any other feature the standard 18" saw doesn't have?

3. The asking price is $2000. This seems like it might be a little high, but I'm not really sure. Any thoughts on what these typically sell for used? Thanks!

--Geoff

Dave Sabo
04-12-2017, 9:08 PM
It's a competent saw. Are you sure it's a "resaw master" ? Those did not get a LT 18 sticker as far as I know. Just had RESAW MASTER in scary font on the upper door.

I have the LT18 and I'm going from memory here now but the differences were that The "resaw master" had a 16" resaw ht. compared with 12" on the 18. It might even have 20" wheels ??? Def. had bigger motor and I think a larger throat too. Better verify in person.

The principle differences on ACM saws from that period to now are :
Italian motors - they get HOT. Later gen. saws got Baldor units and a bit more oomph. May have gone away from Baldor now though.
Euro Guides - current ones have Laguna's gee wiz ceramic system.
Dust collection - new gen saws have an additional port under the table . Easy to mod the old saws though.
Micro switches on the doors and brake shut off the saw when opened or pressed. Older gen. doesn't have those.

2 grand might be high for a twenty year old saw that was @ $2750 then.

- but -

what will the market bear?
what can you get for $2000 now ??? Not an Italian saw with 16" resaw capability
Is it in minty condition and come with some xtra blades ?