PDA

View Full Version : Flash Photography Question

Mike Goetzke
04-12-2017, 9:24 AM
I've had a Canon T6i for close to a year now. I like photography but no where near an expert. I'm having issues mostly with flash pictures. I sometimes use the built-in flash and other times use my older 420EX Speedlite. This past weekend we were indoors at an event so I used the external flash. I used the automatic mode and shot away. After reviewing the pictures I was very disappointed. The images are not crisp or filled with light like I would expect. I could have done better with my phone!

I looked into this a bit and found even with the external flash the ISO #'s are very high, like 1300+. Last night I messed around and tried the "P" creative mode (program mode). I left ISO at 200 and pictures were WAY better. I would have thought auto mode would have adjusted ISO better so as to not generate such grainy images. Even after reviewing the manual quickly I don't see any suggestions on which modes are suggested for flash photography.

Although I would like to blame the camera I think this must be user error. Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Alex Snyder
04-12-2017, 12:21 PM
I don't know why SLR cameras even have an Auto mode. P is the real "Auto" mode for a SLR because it won't jump the settings so drastically. Then move to Av (Aperture Priority) if full manual mode is daunting. Auto modes are for when you hand your camera to someone else to take your photo :p

ISO changes the sensitivity to light, so the higher the ISO the more the flash will affect things. It can be a lot of fun to play with quick flash fires and high ISO in bright daylight. It sounds like you already know that ISO and the flash work together. So, I'll offer this as something to try next: switch the camera to Av in order to give you the ability to set the flash to manual. With the flash in manual mode you can lower the amount of flash firing you're doing. I rarely set a flash to fire with more power than 1/8th. My go-to setting is 1/16th. And I use the lowest setting (1/32nd) a lot. I use a flash for subtle fill lighting and to make colors pop more. Full power on a flash drowns out the natural scene.

Here's a basic rule of thumb to keep things simple: With the T6i, set your ISO to 400 and put the flash on 1/16th, then raise the ISO and flash power to fit the lighting situation you're dealing with.

Lee Schierer
04-12-2017, 1:18 PM
I have a Canon T2i and sometimes when I use the Speedlite 430EXII external flash, the contacts in the shoe don't always make good contact and the flash doesn't respond to the camera settings, but does flash. If I loosen the lock and wiggle the flash a bit in the shoe then it will work. The photos are poor quality when the flash isn't working with the camera in either Auto or P modes.

Mike Henderson
04-12-2017, 1:22 PM
Most modern cameras change the intensity of the flash depending on the scene. By using a high ISO they don't have to use as much (flash) power to get the picture but the high ISO causes a lot of noise in the picture. By forcing the ISO to a lower value you'll cause the flash to use more battery power but the noise in the picture will be less. You'll experience shorter battery "life" (meaning you'll won't get as many pictures on a charge) by forcing the flash to use more power.

Mike

[ISO used to be called ASA.]

andy bessette
04-12-2017, 2:05 PM
Control your own ISO. And utilize the camera's internal flash adjustments. Practice with that before going to an event with high expectations.

Art Mann
04-12-2017, 5:50 PM
You would be better off still if you would put your camera in Manual mode and chose your own ISO setting for the situation. Then set the f-stop and shutter speed wherever you like, up to 1/200 second (or whatever the fastest flash sync setting is on your camera). The flash itself will regulate the amount of light it puts on the subject. You will only have problems doing it this way if the flash isn't powerful enough to illuminate the scene for that particular shutter speed and aperture. Of course, if you want more ambient light, shoot a slow shutter speed, say 1/30 second. If you want the flash to do most of the illuminating then set the shutter speed faster. I have never understood why manufacturers choose such unfavorable combinations when shooting "automatic".