PDA

View Full Version : Digital Vernier

Bill Adamsen
04-11-2017, 11:14 PM
Love to hear what other folks are using for a digital vernier, and perceived pros and cons. I've been using the Wixey WR100 and it has worked just fine for me. Primary use is matching planer and sander depth to the actual board thickness ... but really it is used for so much more. It's my first digital vernier and the improvement over a mechanical is astounding. As my eyesight has faded I could no longer easily interpolate the granularity on the mechanical and the digital made that unnecessary. Gripes (minor I suppose) about the Wixey include a low-battery condition that requires being attentive (starts performing erratically) and plastic parts on the housing that break (fine or micro-adjust). Still, I don't think I could go back to a manual.

Looking to buy another, and curious about what is out there on the market. Thanks!

Wayne Lomman
04-12-2017, 5:45 AM
You have my sympathy with the eyesight. I have changed to a digital vernier for that reason even though I am not a fan of digital/electronic generally. Cheers

peter gagliardi
04-12-2017, 6:33 AM
I have 2 in the shop, a Mitutoyo 6" -my favorite, and a 12" Fowler that is good, but not a mitutoyo. The 6" is easy to use, buttons are placed and sized well, and it has an auto off feature. It is an IP 67?? Rating- dust and moisture i believe.
I have had the 6" for about 15 years, and replaced the battery twice in that time. The fowler uses a different battery, and eats them like candy.
The 6" uses i think a CR2032 battery? About the size of a nickel. The 12" uses a different style that I dont know the number of, but it is about 3/8" dia. X 1/4" thick.
I had no clue when I bought either, about batteries, but now, that would factor very heavily in my choosing a new unit.

John McClanahan
04-12-2017, 7:36 AM
The CR2032 battery will last much longer than the smaller size. I found that out the hard way.

John

Andy Giddings
04-12-2017, 7:54 AM
+1 on Mitutoyo (have one of their 8 inch digitals https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I3UA89C/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Also, I've had a General International 6 inch for years that still works perfectly with long battery life

Lee Schierer
04-12-2017, 8:51 AM
I use a digital caliper to measure wood thickness when planing. Since I am working with wood and not metal I don't need the accuracy of a Mitutoyo or Starrett, I use a Harbor Freight 6" model that cost less than $20. I am on my second one as I dropped the first one and apparently the glass scale broke as it gives erratic readings when you open it more than about 1/2".

Michael Koons
04-12-2017, 9:49 AM
I have the iGaging 6" from Amazon and I actually don't like it for couple of reasons. 1. I don't like that it scales to 1/128". For woodworking, this is too fine for me and not very helpful when I get a reading of 87/128". I'd prefer 1/64" or even 1/32". 2. Mine is cheaply made where the battery doesn't seat well and causes problems if I bump or jostle the caliper.

I should have spent more $$ on a Mitutoyo or other quality one.

Ed Labadie
04-12-2017, 10:30 AM
I use an 8" Mitutoyo, if your going to spend the money on one, spend a little more and get the solar powered version.

Takes all the fun out of dead batteries.

Ed

Adam Herman
04-12-2017, 11:08 AM
cheap calipers also have a about 4x the "off" current draw than a Mitutoyo or similar. That is why the batteries last much longer in the high quality instruments. I imagine the wixy has similar high quality electronics.

Warren Lake
04-12-2017, 11:48 AM
Dont agree with the CR2032 in theory its a different kind of battery that should last longer, any devices i have eat those batteries I hate them even if the device is the cause. My Mititoyuo caliper is at least 35 years old snot beaten out of it looks like it was found in the desert under an Allard and it still works perfectly. i should send it to them so they can do an ad with it, its bullit proof and gets turned on a gazzilion times over the years in my tool belt and still batteries last years for all the times its been on for 20 hours before I notice I can still get about 3 years on a battery.

Ray Selinger
04-12-2017, 12:13 PM
A common battery size is easy to remember, 357.I leave a package of them beside the calipers. If I'm a little more serious I use dial calipers ,I use the old verniers for scribing.

Victor Robinson
04-12-2017, 12:14 PM
Take a look at the Mitutoyo clone from Igaging. "Absolute Origin" or something like that it's called. It is also IP54. Fills the gap between the dirt cheap models for under $20 and the $100+ Mitutoyo.

Here's a link to the product on Amazon...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KDUD67G

David M Peters
04-12-2017, 1:00 PM
I've had this model for over a year, it's very well-made. My only complaint is that is does not automatically turn off.

Take a look at the Mitutoyo clone from Igaging. "Absolute Origin" or something like that it's called. It is also IP54. Fills the gap between the dirt cheap models for under $20 and the $100+ Mitutoyo.

Here's a link to the product on Amazon...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KDUD67G

Mike Henderson
04-12-2017, 1:43 PM
I use an 8" Mitutoyo, if your going to spend the money on one, spend a little more and get the solar powered version.

Takes all the fun out of dead batteries.

Ed

Amen. That's one of my objections to battery powered calipers. My second objection - for a fractional caliper - is that it gives readings that are too fine (such as 128ths). And if I force it to a less fine reading, such as 16ths, I can't see if it's a bit less or a bit more than the reading given. With my mechanical, I can see that the reading is 11/16th (for example) plus (or minus) a small amount. I lose that extra information with a digital.

That's not a big objection, however, since I don't work to better than 16ths most of the time.

Mike

Victor Robinson
04-12-2017, 1:48 PM
I've had this model for over a year, it's very well-made. My only complaint is that is does not automatically turn off.

Yes, I agree that's one gripe about the model. I don't know whether that's related to NOT draining the batteries while off. Almost every auto-off measuring device I've had, whether Wixey or no-name calipers, seems to drain the batteries while off. Every time I go to use them while they've been in the drawer for a while the batteries are dead. That's not been the case with these calipers but maybe that's subjective experience.

Warren Lake
04-12-2017, 4:10 PM
that will be a thing with digital but the one i use is in half thous. i scribed a line on the face for the first three digits .125 is an 1/8 Even left on batteries last me about three years cant complain about that and it doesnt just fail it gets dull for a while. Renata 357's are good and work in the digital spray guns as well. Fair bit cheaper than any 2032's ive ever bought. The caliper doenst turn off by itself but when its gets tripped on 30 -50 times between the three year or so battery change dont have an issue with that. Ive bought some calipers that give you 1/16 and thous and metric first had issues and not happy with the second either, bought them for the multiple scales. I wouldnt have interest in the knock off of the mititoyou, first off if its a copy, s second if this one has worked hard for over 35 years thats enough for me on quality of the product.

Here is 35 years of abuse, you can see the line scribed to make it easy to read sectioning off the .0005

Greg Mann
04-12-2017, 8:33 PM
I know this is going to come across as me being obnoxious but 'digital verniers' is an oxymoron. They are digital or vernier calipers. Digital does away with the need for the vernier scale, which actually is also used on other measuring tools like micrometers and height gauges, or used to be. A vernier scale consists of a normal scale along with a scale that has 11 lines in the same distance that the normal scale has 10. This allows a discreet measurement within a singular gap in the normal scale. Wikipedia probably (absolutely) explains it better than me. With a digital scale the electronics takes care of that for us. I think the battery replacement is a small price to pay for the added capabilities. Example: you want to know the difference in thicknes between two boards? Zero out on one then 'measure' the other one. The difference will be in window; no math. They do imperial to metric conversions too, with a push of a button.

Perhaps it is because I have spent my life as a machinist but I just don't get why anyone would want to use a fractional measurement with a caliper? The math is so much more prone to error. Why would you want to subtract 3/128 from 7/64?

Ole Anderson
04-12-2017, 9:29 PM
Confused. :confused:When you say vernier, are you really speaking about a digital caliper? To me a vernier is strictly a mechanical or optical method of dividing a measurement more accurately than just estimating fractions between divisions on a scale. The vernier is the yellow portion in the illustration.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7e/VernierscaleHow_a_vernier_scale_works.gif/220px-VernierscaleHow_a_vernier_scale_works.gif

Bill Adamsen
04-12-2017, 9:37 PM
Confused. :confused:When you say vernier, are you really speaking about a digital caliper?

Ole: The answer is yes. The digital equivalent to a vernier. The lines on the vernier are what I can no longer see without a magnifying headset (which I frequently use) so the digital is a better user experience 9for me).

Troy Ahner
04-12-2017, 10:44 PM
I prefer dial calipers, I have 3. One Etalon with my machinist tools for 30 years, one cheaper one in my desk at work for the last 15 years, and just bought another cheaper one to leave in the garage near the table saw. Also have one digital (4" Mitutoyo), only benefit to the digital is setting zero to a different location, otherwise I prefer the feel of the watching the needle vs numbers jumping up and down .0005. I also dislike turning the digital on and off repeatedly as I decide to take additional measurements.

Steve Demuth
04-12-2017, 11:15 PM
... I just don't get why anyone would want to use a fractional measurement with a caliper? The math is so much more prone to error. Why would you want to subtract 3/128 from 7/64?

It's interesting - as a scientist I should agree with you. I certainly appreciate metric units in that field. But I actually find the binary fractions used in woodworking easier to work with for most woodworking measurements than decimal fractions. A resolution of 1/32" is quickly and easily read off scales, and is about as accurate as you need for most woodworking. .1" on the other hand is not, and .01" resolution is impossible to read without a caliper - which you can't use for most common measuring tasks. And, binary fractions are easy to double and halve. Addition and subtraction - i can see your point on those, but I don't personally find them hard. Division is really the only arithmetic that I find slower with binary fractions.

Mike Henderson
04-12-2017, 11:32 PM
Does anyone know of a solar powered digital caliper that displays in fractions? I know Mitutoyo makes a solar powered one but I don't think it displays in fractions.

Mike

Dan Friedrichs
04-13-2017, 12:52 AM
Yes, I agree that's one gripe about the model. I don't know whether that's related to NOT draining the batteries while off. Almost every auto-off measuring device I've had, whether Wixey or no-name calipers, seems to drain the batteries while off. Every time I go to use them while they've been in the drawer for a while the batteries are dead. That's not been the case with these calipers but maybe that's subjective experience.

It likely needs to keep some electronics alive to maintain calibration, which is why it draws some small current when off. Additionally, liquid crystal displays use almost no power, so turning it "off" doesn't do much to conserve the battery. That's likely why they don't include an auto-off feature - it wouldn't help.

Nick Decker
04-13-2017, 8:39 AM
Does anyone know of a solar powered digital caliper that displays in fractions? I know Mitutoyo makes a solar powered one but I don't think it displays in fractions.

Mike

This one isn't solar or battery powered, no electronics involved.

https://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-D3208-Fractional-Caliper/dp/B00012XCR0/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1492082074&sr=1-1&keywords=Shop+fox+fractional+caliper

I went through a couple of others that were electronic, and just got tired of hunting down new batteries. With wood, I tend to think in fractions and this one has worked well for me for a couple of years. Seems sturdy and accurate, and you can zero it out or lock it. Below is a bit closer view of the dial.

Ole Anderson
04-13-2017, 10:49 AM
I have both the dial and the digital, both inexpensive models. The dial is my go to, much quicker to use. I have dropped it a few times and had to reset to zero, no problem. No on and off, no units, no batteries.

Bill Jobe
04-13-2017, 12:46 PM
Mitutoyo makes good stuff. I've had a pair of their dial calipers for over 35 years. Also metric, forcing me to begin thinking in metric. Hasn't helped much. I think we think in the values we grow up with.
But they are dead accurate and a $5 lighted magnifying glass would be cheaper than buying a new digital set of calipers.

Mike Henderson
04-13-2017, 1:18 PM
This one isn't solar or battery powered, no electronics involved.

https://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-D3208-Fractional-Caliper/dp/B00012XCR0/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1492082074&sr=1-1&keywords=Shop+fox+fractional+caliper

I went through a couple of others that were electronic, and just got tired of hunting down new batteries. With wood, I tend to think in fractions and this one has worked well for me for a couple of years. Seems sturdy and accurate, and you can zero it out or lock it. Below is a bit closer view of the dial.
I have the Starrett equivalent of that (fractional). What I wanted to try is a solar digital that displays in fractions. Can't find any one who makes one.

Mike

Bill Jobe
04-13-2017, 2:21 PM
http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-tools/reviews/more/marking-measuring-tools?did=144339-20170413&utm_campaign=wood_weeklyupdate_041317&utm_medium=email&utm_source=wdm-newsletter

Art Mann
04-13-2017, 6:30 PM
I have a Brown and Sharpe 6 inch that I use rarely. The original cost was at least $100 but I can't remember. Ten years ago, I bought an 8 inch caliper from Harbor Freight and it is by far my favorite. I think I gave about $15 for it on sale. If you aren't serious about machine work, I don't see any reason at all to spend more money. There are lots of choices and some very good ones are quite inexpensive.

Bill Jobe
04-14-2017, 3:46 AM
I have a Brown and Sharpe 6 inch that I use rarely. The original cost was at least $100 but I can't remember. Ten years ago, I bought an 8 inch caliper from Harbor Freight and it is by far my favorite. I think I gave about $15 for it on sale. If you aren't serious about machine work, I don't see any reason at all to spend more money. There are lots of choices and some very good ones are quite inexpensive.

Good point.
You paid $15 at HF?!! You got ripped off. They throw them in your bag as you leave at my local HF. Plus a crescent wrench and a flashlight.:rolleyes:

Ronald Blue
04-14-2017, 2:34 PM
Unless I missed something not any of the calipers mentioned are vernier. As Ole posted the animation for a vernier scale that is how calipers used to be then dial calipers came along. Dial calipers are quicker to read and some people never really master a vernier scale so they are a good option. Digitals are okay but my experience is you get what you pay for with them. Cheap ones are unreliable and do tend to eat batteries. I have a dial caliper that always works and never needs batteries. It repeats without error unless it's operator induced. There are many options so find the one that works for you.

Bill Jobe
04-14-2017, 3:21 PM
Unless I missed something not any of the calipers mentioned are vernier. As Ole posted the animation for a vernier scale that is how calipers used to be then dial calipers came along. Dial calipers are quicker to read and some people never really master a vernier scale so they are a good option. Digitals are okay but my experience is you get what you pay for with them. Cheap ones are unreliable and do tend to eat batteries. I have a dial caliper that always works and never needs batteries. It repeats without error unless it's operator induced. There are many options so find the one that works for you.

I remember when that was all there was..no dial, and back then they were just as easy to use if your job required it. Just took a little more time to get used to. Not very handy in low light or poor vision. Six inches was all I ever needed, but I remember being in the layout room once many years ago when one of the layout inspectors pulled out a vernier that was so big I thought he was holding a battle ax.
But I think your point , though correct, is in the same vein as all tissues being kleenex and all adjustable wrenches being Crescent. The dial calipers basically fill the same need and looked pretty much the same aside from the dial. It was just easier to refer to them as vernier rather than coin a new name. Most everyone I knew that used them eventually came to referring to them as dial calipers.
It was the slide rule manufacterers that took a big hit when calculators came along.

Ole Anderson
04-14-2017, 4:59 PM
Bill, did you mean to title this thread "Digital Caliper" or maybe "Digital Vs Vernier"? I cringe (just a tiny bit) every time I see the title. Not that I haven't misused a few words here and their myself...:p

Ronald Blue
04-14-2017, 9:41 PM
I remember when that was all there was..no dial, and back then they were just as easy to use if your job required it. Just took a little more time to get used to. Not very handy in low light or poor vision. Six inches was all I ever needed, but I remember being in the layout room once many years ago when one of the layout inspectors pulled out a vernier that was so big I thought he was holding a battle ax.
But I think your point , though correct, is in the same vein as all tissues being kleenex and all adjustable wrenches being Crescent. The dial calipers basically fill the same need and looked pretty much the same aside from the dial. It was just easier to refer to them as vernier rather than coin a new name. Most everyone I knew that used them eventually came to referring to them as dial calipers.
It was the slide rule manufacterers that took a big hit when calculators came along.

Point taken Bill. I remember we had a pair of huge verniers that may have opened to 24 inches but I can't be sure. As you say they looked about like an axe.
Many people don't even know what a vernier scale is however. Anyone using a micrometer with the ability to measure to .0001 and not digital has used a vernier as well. We always referred to the dial calipers as just that. Dial calipers.