PDA

View Full Version : Making Centered Grooves - Formula

Chris McLeester
04-11-2017, 9:26 PM
I've been struggling to make centered grooves in cabinet door rails. I spent some time doing some algebra today and thought I would share my formula. Now I have to actually learn how to feed the stock through. I'm even using a featherboard but get a groove that is unequal width at spots (table saw is well-tuned).

The formula assumes that you will make one groove, turn the piece so the other side faces the fence, and run it through again. This centers the groove.

x = Where to set the fence!
T = thickness of material
G = desired size of groove
K = kerf of your saw

x = (T + G - 2K) / 2

Now, it may be tough to hit this exactly -- so here's a formula for exact center. You can move the fence out from there:

x = 1/2 * (T - K)

So, if you are trying to cut a 1/4" groove in 3/4 material your final fence position will be 3/8".
x = (3/4 + 1/4 - 2 * 1/8 ) / 2
x = 3/8

But you might be better off starting at 5/16" (halfway) and working your way out until you have a tight fit.
x = 1/2 * (3/4 - 1/8)

The formulas should work for different thicknesses, grooves, and kerfs. Obviously, G cannot be smaller than K - hard to make a groove smaller than your saw blade. Also, for grooves wider than 2 kerfs, it will establish the outside lines of the groove.