PDA

View Full Version : Position of RF unit inside Laser Pro Spirit GX

Mike Lysov
04-11-2017, 9:04 PM
Hi guys,

I am trying to put back both the RF unit and the tube that have been recently repaired by Synrad and I cannot figure out where exactly two brackets should be screwed in on the RF unit.

It is pity I did not think about it before and did not take a picture. I was more worried about cable connections and I did not think these two brackets would be any problem to put it back. I remember that the RF unit was installed with its fans looking down towards the floor and with all connections located on its left side(if you stay in front of the machine). Based on the holes positions for the brackets at the bottom of the machine they go on sides of the unit but I cannot see any holes for screws on the unit sides. There are 6 screws on each side of the unit and four of them match the holes on the bracket but these screws are all in place which would not happen if I removed them to get the brackets off. There is a chance though that Syndrad put some screws back but it is very unlikely

If anybody has the same model can you please take a picture of the bottom cabinet of your machine where your RF unit is installed.

Mike Lysov
04-11-2017, 9:37 PM
I have figured it out but only because I have a picture of the unit. I took it after removing the unit from the machine for sending it to Synrad. It shows four holes on one side and it looks like Synrad has put new screws into those holes which has tricked me.

Mike Lysov
04-13-2017, 1:12 AM
OMG, It did not end for me with the brackets. The repaired and tested tube is not powering at all with all it LEDS staying OFF. The RF unit has only two LEDs ON(INT with RED and TEMP with GREEN) According to Synrad manual DC power to the tube is supplied via interconnect cable(DB9 on both ends) so a lot of things can be wrong starting from the cable and ending with the RF unit not supplying power through its LASER port(DB9 connector). That cable supposed to supply DC power to the tube for cooling fans(I do not have them on the tube) as well as drive signals for RDY SHT and LASE LEDs on the tube.

Really do not know what to do now. I have not expected anything like this after paying that much to Synrad for repair. According to their invoice the problem I had before was more related to the RF unit. They replaced some electronic components in it(PCB controller III RF1000). Then it says both the tube and the RF driver are tested to Synrad specs. It does not say though which cables they have used for testing, mine or theirs. They have sent mine back to me as they do not look as a replacement and there is no charges for any cable shown on the invoice.
I have sent Synrad an email asking for explanation but have to wait till a new day starts in USA. Also booked a tech guy from a local LaserPro distributor but he can only come in 10 days. I do not expect much for that guy because I almost forced him to make a booking but at least I asked him to come and check that all cables are in place and what voltage is coming to the RF and going to the tube from it. I could try to do it myself but I am not really good with testing electrical stuff,

Mike Lysov
04-13-2017, 2:08 AM
I could check voltage coming to the RF unit. If my cheap multi-meter is not lying 30.1V comes to it and that how it should be. No LEDs on the RF unit are blinking which according to Synrad manual indicates any type of voltage fault. No fault is described in the Manual with just INT=RED and TEMP=Green This combination only comes with LASE LED being blue but in my case LASE is just OFF. The only situation described in the manual when all LEDS of the tube are OFF is when that DB9 interconnect cable is disconnected or damaged(open). I could not find any problems with wires in that cable. At least they seem to be connected to each pin and there is no visible damage along the cable.

Doe anybody have any idea what it can be?
The manual I am referring to can be found at http://www.synrad.com/Manuals/t-Series1.7.pdf
my tube is t100, RF is RF 1000. The tube is OEM version, not keyswitch.

Mike Lysov
04-30-2017, 10:03 PM
Some details of my problem with images were mentioned in the following thread as well.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?69573-Synrad-s-laser-tube-problem

The problem has been fixed with just a simple tool as pliers. For some reason tightening RF cable connectors by a hand does not do a trick with establishing reliable connection between the tube and the RF unit. The guy who was trying to help me to find what's wrong came and used pliers to tighten the cable. That's the only thing he did different from what I was doing.

And it has fixed everything. So if a multi meter does not help use a "hammer" :-)
And I literally forced the guy to come and help. He was saying "I wouldn't be able to help if it's electronics fault. Please send it back to Synrad" but I insisted on him coming and I was right :-)

It is not clear whether Synrad has recharged my tube during repair as the invoice says it was reprocessed and re-aligned only. It does not say anything about recharging. However I must say the tube is better now than when it was brand new. I can even cut 12mm thick MDF with very good edge quality at 0.8% of speed and probably can do it even with 0.9-1% speed That was always the speed required to do 9mm thick MDF on my 100W laser and I know from my other laser that 9mm can be usually cut out 50% faster than 12mm.

When I measure the output it says it shoot at 145W of power.