PDA

View Full Version : Changes to the Shop

ken hatch
04-11-2017, 2:08 PM
Small changes to the shop can make big differences in functionality. One of the greatest has been lowering the secondary bench and moving it off the wall into a central location in front of the main work bench. Several other changes have helped as well, the major one was moving the Moxon vise off what is now my planing and assembly bench to the back side of the main bench. All the changes effectively give much more room to work and things are set up for minimum monkey motion.

Here is a photo of the current set up:

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh222/VTXAZ/currentShop170411_zpsagn8c2ru.jpg

That is a new pine box on the assembly bench, this has been the first use of pine in ages. I had forgotten how pleasant it is to work.

The sharpening bench is off the left end of the main bench, convenient to both benches, and my tool cabinet, chest, and tills are behind the main bench. While there has been little change to the sharpening bench it and freehand sharpening are the keys to an efficient work flow.

ken

Andrew Hughes
04-11-2017, 3:42 PM
Two benches that make sense to me.Id rather have two benches then two of the same handplanes.
I like your setup.

Stew Denton
04-11-2017, 8:47 PM
Ken,

Looks very good! Also, very nice workmanship on the benches.

Stew

ken hatch
04-11-2017, 8:52 PM
Ken,

Looks very good! Also, very nice workmanship on the benches.

Stew

thanks Stew

ken hatch
04-11-2017, 8:56 PM
Two benches that make sense to me.Id rather have two benches then two of the same handplanes.
I like your setup.

Ahdrew,

I was a little surprised how useful the second bench is off the wall.

Ken

Brian Holcombe
04-11-2017, 9:35 PM
Looks great Ken!

David Eisenhauer
04-11-2017, 10:26 PM
Nice setup Ken. I like the saw benches stored under the ends of the workbench and I need a light like that one. I have one, but it is smaller and with less "throw" or overhang capability than yours. If I can ask, what brand is the lamp you have on that main bench?

Jim Koepke
04-12-2017, 3:03 AM
I need a light like that one. I have one, but it is smaller and with less "throw" or overhang capability than yours. If I can ask, what brand is the lamp you have on that main bench?

Not Ken, but it looks like a lamp made for drafting tables. Not sure if there is still any manual drafting supply stores around.

jtk

David Eisenhauer
04-12-2017, 9:55 AM
Thanks Jim. I need a bigger/better-reaching one for sawing close to the line when using the Moxon to hold parts up to a better height. I will see what is around vis a vis drafting equipment now days.

Malcolm Schweizer
04-12-2017, 1:22 PM
Looks good. I believe a bench should be accessible from all sides. I like having one to clutter with tools and parts and one for the workpiece itself. I have a tool cart with wood too behind me to lay tools within reach so I can work on the bench top without clutter.

Jerry Olexa
04-12-2017, 1:39 PM
Very nice...Good logic....I love 4 way access to the bench as you did,,,,

ken hatch
04-12-2017, 4:31 PM
Looks great Ken!

Thanks Brian, not the carpeted and ordered shop like yours but.....It's me:D and as you can tell it is a working shop.

ken

ken hatch
04-12-2017, 4:34 PM
Nice setup Ken. I like the saw benches stored under the ends of the workbench and I need a light like that one. I have one, but it is smaller and with less "throw" or overhang capability than yours. If I can ask, what brand is the lamp you have on that main bench?

David,

The light I've had for a long time. It is a Luxo Color/Correct. Original use was for looking at color photographs under color correct light.

ken

ken hatch
04-12-2017, 4:35 PM
Very nice...Good logic....I love 4 way access to the bench as you did,,,,

Thanks Jerry, the two benches work together very well.

ken

ken hatch
04-12-2017, 4:47 PM
Looks good. I believe a bench should be accessible from all sides. I like having one to clutter with tools and parts and one for the workpiece itself. I have a tool cart with wood too behind me to lay tools within reach so I can work on the bench top without clutter.

Malcolm,

What is this "bench top without clutter" of which you speak?:p

Some day it might happen but my guess I will not be alive. Would be nice to work without having to make a space to work. Back in the old days there were two types of mechanics, those who's tool box had a place for each tool and the tool was always in place and those who would leave the tool where last used. Each worked about as well as the other as long as no one misplaced or moved a tool. You can see I've always been in the last group.

ken

Graham Haydon
04-12-2017, 5:16 PM
Ken, great space, nice setup.

David Eisenhauer
04-12-2017, 6:28 PM
Thanks for the lamp info Ken. I will look.

ken hatch
04-13-2017, 2:00 AM
Ken, great space, nice setup.

Thank you Graham, It works for me. I've too many tools but for the most part I try to keep it simple.

ken