PDA

View Full Version : SCAPS _ SAMLight

Neville Stewart
04-11-2017, 1:32 PM
Anyone using SCAPS Samlight to run their fiber laser? Guessing it has to be better than EZCad.

Scott Shepherd
04-11-2017, 1:53 PM
I think that's going to be a problem for many of them. The software has to be written to control the Chinese knock off driver boards and I haven't found anyone yet that is writing software that will link to Chinese boards running Chinese tubes. It might be happening now, but it wasn't happening a year or two ago. The people making the boards in China are the same people distributing EZCAD.

Neville Stewart
04-11-2017, 2:25 PM
I think that's going to be a problem for many of them. The software has to be written to control the Chinese knock off driver boards and I haven't found anyone yet that is writing software that will link to Chinese boards running Chinese tubes. It might be happening now, but it wasn't happening a year or two ago. The people making the boards in China are the same people distributing EZCAD.

No, totally agree with you. I was just curious if there were any SAMLight users. Oddly enough, the SW that runs Tykma machines is , visually at least, the same as EZcad, so I would have to assume, Tykma came first. Fibers are a strange animal arent they.

Gary Hair
04-11-2017, 3:02 PM
Anyone using SCAPS Samlight to run their fiber laser? Guessing it has to be better than EZCad.

I looked into Samlight when I got my first fiber, I didn't keep the emails but I recall it was fairly expensive, maybe $3k - $4k, and you needed to buy a new controller for another $1,500 or so. I could be off with those numbers but they are close.

Neville Stewart
04-11-2017, 3:33 PM
I looked into Samlight when I got my first fiber, I didn't keep the emails but I recall it was fairly expensive, maybe $3k - $4k, and you needed to buy a new controller for another $1,500 or so. I could be off with those numbers but they are close.

I suppose with everything, you generally get what you pay for.

John Lifer
04-11-2017, 3:55 PM
Bit off topic of the original software, but in my searching for information on Fiber Lasers, I ran across Datalogic. They have a number of different fiber and CO2 handhelds or mounted lasers. Industrial use for mainly production line engraving. Software, including the last few versions is on line and downloadable. Lighter is their name for it.
I'd love to make it work instead of EZCad, but if it is board specific, as these look to be, there's no chance.

Gary Hair
04-11-2017, 3:57 PM
I suppose with everything, you generally get what you pay for.

Sometimes that's true... I'd have to look at the software again to see if there is anything I could really use, last time I looked at it I had only been using ezcad for about a week, just long enough to know what a pos it really is, but not long enough to hate it enough to spend a few k to replace it.

Neville Stewart
04-11-2017, 4:10 PM
Sometimes that's true... I'd have to look at the software again to see if there is anything I could really use, last time I looked at it I had only been using ezcad for about a week, just long enough to know what a pos it really is, but not long enough to hate it enough to spend a few k to replace it.

You know I ve gotten a lot more comfortable with Ezcad actually. Its certainly frustrating at first but Ive been able to do some unique things with it lately. I have a friend who does awesome gun work with an ezcad board on an SPI source.

Kev Williams
04-11-2017, 6:29 PM
I don't actually find a whole lot wrong with EZcad as a way to run a fiber.

what I DO find wrong is THIS:

If zero is enabled, zero switcher will be found automatically. The software creates an
absolute coordinate after Finding out zero switcher. If the system failed to find out zero switcher,
expansion axis cannot be used until the appointed time set by parameter zero time out has
expired.
Note: The switcher used for zero signal must be normal-open type and the signal should be
connected to input port 0.
Speed of Go Zero: The move speed when expansion axis go zero.
Zero time out: The system will present “Zero time out” when failed to reach the position
where the zero switcher was assembled within the appointed time.
Accurate Zero:When it is selected, the axis must gives three zero signals in go zero process;
and it isn’t selected, the axis only need one signal.
Correct axis origin: The current expansion axis go zero and reset coordinates.
did ANYONE understand that?? :D

If someone could actually make a plain-English instruction manual for this program, we'd probably all be SHOCKED at what it can really do!

Bill George
04-11-2017, 7:28 PM
Perhaps a Learning EZCad book would sell, surely there is a person who knows both Chinese and English and could do so. I would buy a copy.

Gary Hair
04-11-2017, 8:20 PM
I don't actually find a whole lot wrong with EZcad as a way to run a fiber.

what I DO find wrong is THIS:

did ANYONE understand that?? :D

If someone could actually make a plain-English instruction manual for this program, we'd probably all be SHOCKED at what it can really do!

I think that's part of the formula for nuclear fission...