PDA

View Full Version : Call for Sanding Station Ideas

Steve Mathews
04-11-2017, 1:02 PM
One of the videos by Woodturners Wonders shows a storage system for the sanding pads they offer. It seems like a good idea but doesn't include storage of the discs themselves or for other sanding equipment like drill motors, etc. Anyone care to show some pics or description of their sanding station solutions? So far my solution is 2 cardboard boxes, one for 2" discs and the other for 3" discs.

Bob Bouis
04-11-2017, 1:13 PM
This comes up from time to time. Here's a thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?246451

My solution:

I use these. The compartments are plenty big enough for 3" discs.

https://www.amazon.com/Stack-CB-12-Clear-12-Bin-Organizer/dp/B000M2WVT4

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/02b0181c-4850-460c-bc47-692764ee9789_1.414efaeefa0efcce02d801203ed769fd.jp eg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

Olaf Vogel
04-11-2017, 8:48 PM
One of the videos by Woodturners Wonders shows a storage system for the sanding pads they offer. It seems like a good idea but doesn't include storage of the discs themselves or for other sanding equipment like drill motors, etc. Anyone care to show some pics or description of their sanding station solutions? So far my solution is 2 cardboard boxes, one for 2" discs and the other for 3" discs.

Not sure how you are set up, but here's one idea I'll throw out for consideration: can you sand outside?

I do a lot of power sanding, and the dust is unbelievable. So I built a sanding station thats portable. And old lathe spindle that holds the piece and a slow speed motor to turn it. (5 rpms - its an industrial rotisserie motor) Thats mounted on a 4 x4 foot rolling plywood platform, with an extension cord and outlets. All the discs and stuff goes underneath. My sanders live in a drawer at the bottom. Looks like crap, but works well.

In nice weather (warm and windy), I roll it into the driveway and sand away for long sessions. Instant dust removal!
And I get to enjoy the great outdoors. :)

(BTW - park the car UP wind......)

Gordon Prill
04-16-2017, 11:55 PM
Harbor freight organizer.

Joe Shanaphy
04-17-2017, 4:15 PM
+1 On the Harbor Freight (or equivalent) organizers!

Robert Marshall
04-20-2017, 8:40 AM
I just moved my sheet sandpaper to this cardboard box with 8 compartments, in which the paper fits snugly (each opening is 9" wide, just like the paper). Also comes with labels which attach to the front of the openings, which is handy. Costs $10, well worth it.

Ordered from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H2LIMKA/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Still looking for something for my other types of sandpaper (belts, discs, etc.).

Shawn Pachlhofer
04-20-2017, 11:08 AM
+2 on the HF style organizers for small disks. I have one box for 2" and one for 3"

for 5" disks, I don't remember where I bought it, but I have a "caddy" that is very similar to this one that Rockler sells plans for: http://www.rockler.com/sandpaper-storage-caddy-plan

George Bokros
04-20-2017, 2:11 PM
Not sure how you are set up, but here's one idea I'll throw out for consideration: can you sand outside?

I do a lot of power sanding, and the dust is unbelievable. So I built a sanding station thats portable. And old lathe spindle that holds the piece and a slow speed motor to turn it. (5 rpms - its an industrial rotisserie motor) Thats mounted on a 4 x4 foot rolling plywood platform, with an extension cord and outlets. All the discs and stuff goes underneath. My sanders live in a drawer at the bottom. Looks like crap, but works well.

In nice weather (warm and windy), I roll it into the driveway and sand away for long sessions. Instant dust removal!
And I get to enjoy the great outdoors. :)

(BTW - park the car UP wind......)

And tell the neighbors to close their windows.

kevin nee
04-21-2017, 8:53 PM
I have threaded canisters made by GRUNDTAL. They are sold at IKEA and they are cheaper at the store than online. They fit 3 inch discs I also have a set for 2 inch discs. They have magnetic bottoms and I just cut a piece of steel to attach them to. For sheet sandpaper I use homemade compartmentized drawers. Two lathes with a cheapo Harbor Freight angle drill at each one. I use a bit extender on the drills. Looks like you have jumped into turning with both feet.
Good luck, Kevin
358668 358669

Robert Willing
04-22-2017, 9:09 AM
I followed your advice and bought this one. I really like it and it hangs well from my rack.

Olaf Vogel
05-20-2017, 9:50 PM
While this doesnt have any fancy sanding pad storage (thats all in a big tupperware container.
One nice spring days, its great to be able to do this outside. Sun, fresh air, breeze.

There's an old rotisserie motor in the bottom so it turns about about 1 rpm.
Thats attached to a spare spindle for the lathe so it fits my chucks
Home made "babbitt" bearings = maple, but with an oil hole on top

An extension cord to the garage, with a few plugs for the power sander.
And lots of wind for dust removal.

Ok, kind of ghetto, but it works!
:)