PDA

View Full Version : Spring Cleaning?

steven c newman
04-11-2017, 11:33 AM
Hmmm, while digging out a place to hang the new saw til, decided to clean that end of the shop up....had a pile of scraps sitting on the Lathe bench....Saw dust, hidden tools, junky lathe. Scraps were cut to fit a "new home"
Sometime after 6pm, this will get lit up. Might have a second load, when I clear another spot, sometime.
Hidden tools? Besides two panel saws, I found this pile of stuff..
Might find a use for some of these...
Finally cleaned the lathe bench off..
And have decided to toss the old lathe out to the curb..
Way too much wrong with it, not worth the effort to fix it up. I doubt IF Sears would let me return it:rolleyes:
More leg room was added by moving this thing out of the way..
Not really using it any more....may find a new home to send it to..:)

Swept the floor again...
Where is Igor when I need him....
I managed to get the last of the handsaws out of the old Tool Chest....good thing, rust was starting on it..
Atkins saw, instead on an "eagle" there is a Pheonix in the medallion. Might be a Ship's saw..
will finish cleaning this up later.

So, maybe NOW I can get the Saw Til Project built and hung? maybe do a bit of wood working.....:eek:

steven c newman
04-11-2017, 11:01 PM
Went for a stroll to check out the downtown Antique stores to see IF anything was new....normal store didn't have much of anything....but a store across the street was open for a change......did a bit of shopping there, and brought home a plane to rehab.

Another walk about, just to restock the Mountain Dew supplies....Started the fire pit up, and watch the flames. Had to keep an eye on it. Not much else got done today....feet are sore, now.

That sanding machine may wind up at the curb beside the lathe....can't keep the belt on it.....not the sanding belt..the DRIVE belt. A cogged belt, doubt IF Sears still sells them. not sure IF a new belt will even help. If I do toss the thing out, I am only out...$20.

In that mess of bits, screws, and drill bits, there is a piece of glass. I used to use that as a scraper on some projects. Easy enough to sharpen, just cut a new edge. May keep it around, for places the other tools can't get to.

Have the mitre box put away, need to clear the bench for some joinery....someday.....

John C Cox
04-12-2017, 7:43 AM
Pretty amazing what you find when you dig out a shop isnt it.

Throwing belts is generally motor alignment.

If you really dont like the units - put them on CL for a price that cant be refused.

steven c newman
04-12-2017, 8:15 PM
May try to fixed the sander. Going to part out the lathe. Workmate is now in use..
Clamping a glue up.

May tear down the router table, keep the little router for trim work.
The Lathe bench is already filling up with,,,stuff. May put the second mitre saw on it, for now. Saving up for a new lathe....in case I need to turn a few legs, or spindles.

Have a HUGE pile of shavings, need to haul them out of the shop, and out to the old garden bed.....let Mother nature dispose of them....Hey, Compost happens.

steven c newman
04-15-2017, 10:45 PM
Swept the floor in the work area, again..
Need to get the old tool box up off the floor.

Started parting out the old lathe. A friend of mine is getting a few parts that fit her lathe.

Belt from the lathe fit the sanding machine and even stayed on the drive wheels. "T" rails are junk, as is the motor. That little yellow "key" in the on-off switch is staying in the shop....have a few other such items like it, nice to have a "spare key"

Wondering what to do with the backsaws.....all six of them, 18" and under, mostly around 12" or so. Hacksaws and coping saws will be next. Might FINALLY get the shop looking like a shop...maybe.

bridger berdel
04-15-2017, 11:40 PM
I made a separate till for backsaws. It sure filled up fast too.

I deliberately made my saw tills small to prevent saw proliferation. It didn't work.