PDA

View Full Version : Fox HD mobile base

John Miliunas
10-19-2005, 12:35 PM
I note that Woodcraft has the Fox HD mobile base on sale for a relatively attractive price. I have need to put my Vega bowl lathe on a mobile base for some additional flexibility. This base shows a capacity of 600lbs., which the Vega is shy of by about 50lbs. or so. Anybody use one of these bases and what kind of luck have you had with it? It's not really too much of a "gamble", as it's from Woodcraft and they'd take it back if it doesn't work for me, but it's going to be a royal pain to get the base underneath the big block of iron and cement to begin with!:rolleyes: Appreciate any feedback!:) :cool:

Michael Ballent
10-19-2005, 1:00 PM
I have one under my SawStop (at about 630lbs) and it seems to holding up so far :D. One thing I have noticed though is that is with that much mass, it seems that you need to really have to give it a shove to get it moving...

I note that Woodcraft has the Fox HD mobile base on sale for a relatively attractive price. I have need to put my Vega bowl lathe on a mobile base for some additional flexibility. This base shows a capacity of 600lbs., which the Vega is shy of by about 50lbs. or so. Anybody use one of these bases and what kind of luck have you had with it? It's not really too much of a "gamble", as it's from Woodcraft and they'd take it back if it doesn't work for me, but it's going to be a royal pain to get the base underneath the big block of iron and cement to begin with!:rolleyes: Appreciate any feedback!:) :cool:

Roy Wall
10-19-2005, 1:02 PM

WHat's the model # of that base.....?? 2057??

John Miliunas
10-19-2005, 1:05 PM
I have one under my SawStop (at about 630lbs) and it seems to holding up so far :D. One thing I have noticed though is that is with that much mass, it seems that you need to really have to give it a shove to get it moving...

Yikes!:eek: At 630lbs. I'd imagine any base underneath that bad boy would require some kind of a shove!:D Do you find it relatively easy to elevate/lower the saw when you need to? I am a bit concerned about the relatively small footprint and top-heaviness of the Vega, but I would only have to move it a couple feet or so. Do the wheels swivel pretty easy on it? Thanks for any info you can forward! :) :cool:

Roy Wall
10-19-2005, 1:19 PM
Yikes!:eek: At 630lbs. I'd imagine any base underneath that bad boy would require some kind of a shove!:D Do you find it relatively easy to elevate/lower the saw when you need to? I am a bit concerned about the relatively small footprint and top-heaviness of the Vega, but I would only have to move it a couple feet or so. Do the wheels swivel pretty easy on it? Thanks for any info you can forward! :) :cool:

John,

I've got the 685# version of the SS under my SHopfox 2057 HD base...

THe box says its rated for 600 lbs but shopfox told me it was really rated for 700 lbs (a misprint on the box)... ont top of this...they said the 2057 would have NO PROBLEM supporting my saw and any work on the table - like an additional 20% safety factor built in...yada yada....

It is a LOAD to push!!!!

Also, one of the "feet" occasionally "sticks" to the concrete...and takes a little persuasion to break it free from contact.

For now , the saw is pretty much set where I want it and will only have to move for large "cuttoffs"....

As I say.....it is a LOAD to push.....:cool:

John Miliunas
10-19-2005, 1:21 PM
WHat's the model # of that base.....?? 2057??

Roy, I'm not even sure. All they show is the WC stock number for it. The HD Shop Fox at Grizzly shows it as having a 700lb. capacity. Might just have to go down there and check it out in person.:) :cool:

Roy Wall
10-19-2005, 1:24 PM
JOhn,

Check my previous post...........

John Miliunas
10-19-2005, 1:30 PM
JOhn,

Check my previous post...........

Thanks Roy. I saw that just I posted. :rolleyes: So, is it pretty easy to lower/raise the saw? I already know it will take some ooooomph to move the thing!:D :) :cool:

Michael Ballent
10-19-2005, 1:31 PM
Yep that would be the one that Roy and I are using... There were a bunch of bases that went out with the wrong weight capacity printed on the box, that is probably why they are putting them on sale :D.

As far as lifting the machine, I really do not do that... too much mass for it to move on me... there are 2 little screws that drop rubber feet to the concrete and that pretty much takes care of any thoughts of the SawStop from moving :D

John Miliunas
10-19-2005, 1:37 PM
Thanks guys! Worth serious consideration, especially at the sale price. I'll need to go check it out. Appreciate the feedback!:) :cool:

Roy Wall
10-19-2005, 1:41 PM
Yep that would be the one that Roy and I are using... There were a bunch of bases that went out with the wrong weight capacity printed on the box, that is probably why they are putting them on sale :D.

As far as lifting the machine, I really do not do that... too much mass for it to move on me... there are 2 little screws that drop rubber feet to the concrete and that pretty much takes care of any thoughts of the SawStop from moving :D

John,

Micheal touches on a good point...

It's not really like "Lifting the Saw....".....just a matter of those little "PADS" that make contact with the floor and secure the footing....

Oh, BTW.....I put 3/4" CCA plywood rectangle in the base to match the footprint...and maybe give a little more support... This was particularly helpful as I (alone) wobbled the saw off the pallet and onto the base - I had to have some way of keeping the saw from "tilting thru" the opening down to the floor.

WIth the ply....it adds about 1 1/2" - 2" of height to your machine...

John Miliunas
10-19-2005, 1:49 PM
John,

Micheal touches on a good point...

It's not really like "Lifting the Saw....".....just a matter of those little "PADS" that make contact with the floor and secure the footing....

Oh, BTW.....I put 3/4" CCA plywood rectangle in the base to match the footprint...and maybe give a little more support... This was particularly helpful as I (alone) wobbled the saw off the pallet and onto the base - I had to have some way of keeping the saw from "tilting thru" the opening down to the floor.

WIth the ply....it adds about 1 1/2" - 2" of height to your machine...

Roy, more good info. Thanks! Fortunately, the Vega does have adjustable legs, which I can adjust to compensate for the height. I've been thinking of lowering the working height just a tad to begin with. As long as I have it up in the air, that would be a good time to do that, as well.:) Thanks again!:) :cool:

John Miliunas
10-19-2005, 3:24 PM
Update: Will need to wait until next week to find out. Stopped over to WC and they're "sold out"! :( My "boys" said that they're truly a nice base and they've got more on order. Should be here Mon/Tues.:) Thanks again! :) :cool:

Jim DeLaney
10-19-2005, 3:30 PM
I've got one, with an extension, under my ShopFox cabinet saw and extended cabinet, and another one under my router table cabinet.

The saw & cabinet are probably 600# plus, and the router table cabinet maybe 250#. Both roll easily (once started) and both sit very stably on the floor.

I'm considering getting a third one for my Laguna bandsaw, and doing away with the Laguna mobility kit...

Roy Wall
10-19-2005, 3:41 PM
Update: Will need to wait until next week to find out. Stopped over to WC and they're "sold out"! :( My "boys" said that they're truly a nice base and they've got more on order. Should be here Mon/Tues.:) Thanks again! :) :cool:

Is the "Super heavy duty Mobil Base" on sale...?? it goes to 1300#!!! It is not compatible with any extension base, so that's why we all got the 2057.........but that's not an issue with the Lathe.

Steven Powell
10-19-2005, 4:33 PM
I have both the medium and heavy duty shop fox bases. I like them. They work great.

Going to get another heavy duty one for my Rikon as soon as I can get over to Woodcraft.

Keith Foster
10-19-2005, 4:37 PM
I have four of the Shop Fox bases. The one under the Contractor Saw is GREAT! Very easy to move. It was also the first one I bought.

The other 3, well the jury is still out on those. The one under the 15" planer (my heaviest piece of equipment) is a bear to move. The wheels turn freely, but the sheer mass of the tool makes it difficult to push. Like wise on the 8" jointer. I will likely either remove the stops entirely or cut some of the rubber off the bottom to allow for imperfections in the garage floor. Seems to bottom out WAY too easily. The other base is under a 17" bandsaw and it moves well, but I need to cut down two of the arms of the base so it fits better - but I knew that going in.

John Miliunas
10-19-2005, 4:55 PM
Well gee, maybe I should just stop back in there tomorrow and actually pre-pay for one, just to be sure it's mine when they come in! :D Great feedback, guys! Sounds like they are pretty stout units and that's what the doctor ordered for this particular piece of equipment! Thanks gents!:) :cool:

Tim Morton
10-19-2005, 5:48 PM
Hey John, I have one under my PM60 jointer...the base is a tank...real easy to work with...I bought mine online from WC.

Scott Parks
10-19-2005, 10:01 PM
John,

I don't mean to spoil the party, but... Have you happened to check out the Delta mobile bases? I almost bought the Fox, because of the price, but I wanted the ease of a simple step up, step down to lower/raise onto the wheels. I wasn't too keen on the idea of cranking the knobs every time I move my table saw. (which gets moved A LOT). I found a Unisaw mobile base on theBay for my cabinet saw. I recently found a used Delta bandsaw with a Delta mobile base under. I absolutely love the Delta bases. I don't intend to put in my .o2 on something else, (or skew your decision) but since you said that the SF was sold out, maybe another choice???

For me, if I only needed to move the unit around once in a while, then the SF would be fine. But for my small space co-habitated with the cars, I have to move my machines every time I work, and that is why I went with the Delta bases... Very easy to use....

Good luck! (BTW, if Woodcraft was sold out, what did you buy instead?:))

John Miliunas
10-19-2005, 10:13 PM
John,

I don't mean to spoil the party, but... Have you happened to check out the Delta mobile bases? I almost bought the Fox, because of the price, but I wanted the ease of a simple step up, step down to lower/raise onto the wheels. I wasn't too keen on the idea of cranking the knobs every time I move my table saw. (which gets moved A LOT). I found a Unisaw mobile base on theBay for my cabinet saw. I recently found a used Delta bandsaw with a Delta mobile base under. I absolutely love the Delta bases. I don't intend to put in my .o2 on something else, (or skew your decision) but since you said that the SF was sold out, maybe another choice???

For me, if I only needed to move the unit around once in a while, then the SF would be fine. But for my small space co-habitated with the cars, I have to move my machines every time I work, and that is why I went with the Delta bases... Very easy to use....

Good luck! (BTW, if Woodcraft was sold out, what did you buy instead?:))

Hey Scott, you're not "spoiling the party" at all! Appreciate the additional insight. As it happens, I do like the Delta units, but in this case, I don't like it due to that 3rd wheel. Like I said, the unit is not only heavy, but top-heavy and sits on a relatively small footprint. (Approx. 24x16"). That's a LOT of weight in a concentrated area! Plus, the moving of the lathe would be minimal. Mainly if I do large bowls and/or, if I have need to use anything in the tapered mount, so that I can get back behind it to shove whatever accessory I have back out. Besides, I'm in no great hurry. If it comes in next week, that's fine by me. And, believe it or not, I walked out of there with nothing more than I walked in there with!!!!:D :cool:

Scott Parks
10-19-2005, 10:25 PM
I walked out of there with nothing more than I walked in there with!!!!:D :cool:

Funny, I have the same problem. I too walk out of there with nothing more, (money wise) just a lot less...:D

I too was concerned about the 3 wheel tippy problem, but it is not a problem. Like I said, in your case, not moving the lathe much, my issues probably don't relate to your needs.... My machines get moved constantly, and the Delta is a breeze to move around...