PDA

View Full Version : Any issues with using Byrd inserts on a Grizzly G1021X2 Cuttterhead?

Adam Merritt
04-11-2017, 9:28 AM
I could use some advice on using Byrd inserts with a Grizzly G1021X2 cutter-head. There have been a few delays in receiving parts, but I finally received all the inserts and 30 of the screws last night. I have them installed on the head for test fit while I await the other 40 screws, and it looks like they will work. They index just fine and seat flush, but I haven't had a chance to run anything through it yet. This is my first spiral head cutter, so admittedly I'm no expert. Here are a few pictures of the installed inserts; if you see anything amiss, I would appreciate a heads up now before it causes me any damage.

Next, the backstory if you're interested. Two few weeks ago, I bought a Grizzly G0453 planer that came with a "Byrd" cutter-head, minus the screws and inserts. The gentleman was moving across the country to pastor a new church and didn't have space for any of his equipment. I had to pickup a U-Haul trailer (there is no way in heck we were going to get that 600 LB planer into the back of my lifted pickup), and then drove nearly 2 hours after an already long Friday workday before I arrived at his house. The planer turned on, everything seemed functional, and I saw the spiral cutter-head in the box. I had called Byrd before heading out there to determine what my actual cost would be to restore that cutter-head and they mentioned if it was manufactured within the last 6 or so years, it would have 75 cutters, or if older, it would have 100. I guess I will blame being tired, but I didn't really look at things closely. As it would turn out, I didn't purchase a Byrd head, but ended up with something unknown. The seller bought it on eBay two years previous, but had never gotten around to installing it. I don't think he intentionally misled me; I do believe he thought it was a Byrd head, so all fault lies on me. I talked to the guys at Grizzly for 45 minutes and they couldn't come to a conclusion about what model it may/may not have been (if it was even theirs). Finally, we noticed on the "Grizzly Carbide Insert Reference Chart" (found as a manual on their cutter-heads product page) that the Grizzly G1021X2 had 68 cutters. It is the one and only Grizzly head listed as 68 cutters, however, Jet and Baileigh also have models with 68 cutters. I talked to both of those manufactures, but they weren't conclusive. (Jet said they had no way to help determine if the cutter-head was theirs, but thought the Byrd inserts should work just fine. Baileigh didn't have any info at all on the cutterhead or inserts; they didn't even offer a replacement. The next day, they called back with their version of the 15x15x2.5 insert at $130/ten pack.) Finally, I was able to use the shipping label on the cutter-head box to locate the original eBay seller and contact him over Facebook. There was literally one guy with that name returned in the search. He confirmed the head was from a G1021X2 that he had purchased used. He said the cutters were damaged, and upon trying to remove them, found out most of the screws were seized, requiring him to use screw extractors to strip it down. Once ready to replace the inserts, he found the cost was much more than anticipated (those dang H9893 cutters are expensive!), so he bought a new head and sold this one to cut his losses. This left me with the decision to either purchase 7 packs of H9893 cutters at $82.95/box or try to use Byrd inserts at $28/box. If I was unable to use the Byrd inserts on this head, I figured it would be better to buy a new Byrd head with 75 cutters (plus the 5 extra) instead of spending $600 on Grizzly inserts. I ordered 70 Byrd inserts and 70 Byrd TP 25 screws for <$220. I'm hoping this doesn't turn out to be a wasted investment.

Adam Merritt
04-17-2017, 8:35 AM
Update: I have installed all of the inserts, and finally given the machine a workout. I did not have any problems with the cutter-head. I can't compare it to the straight blades previously in this G0453 (I bought it used, blades were damaged, so its first time running for me was with this new head), nor the original Grizzly inserts from the G1021X2, but I am happy with the finished product. Over the last few days, I've ran several hundred feet of 4/4 rough cherry, walnut, and maple.

It did take a lot of adjustment to the in-feed and out-feed rollers to remove the serrated marks on the finished piece. The previous owner had the cap screws all even with the planer head; I can't imagine how he used it that way. I backed the in-feed rollers out about 1 full turn further than factor default (1/8'' is default), and the out-feed roller was fully backed out until it just contacted the spring. Wood still feeds without issue and I only see in-feed marks if I didn't remove any material. I may consider buying a Delta out-feed roller, but right now this works. I did adjust the height of all the rollers before firing it up, as well as cleaning and lubing everything described in the manual. All in all, I am happy with my purchase. This should tide me over until I finally spring for the G1033X in the unknown future.

Jim Andrew
04-17-2017, 9:01 PM
Looks like if the cutters fit in the head with the hole centered should be just fine.

Bill Dufour
04-18-2017, 1:08 AM
How steep is the angle between the edge and the two parallel faces. standard inserts would be called 20 degrees or really measure 70 degrees. i just have to wonder if these are some standard inserts just repackaged and sold as wood inserts?
Bill

Adam Merritt
04-18-2017, 8:28 AM
Are you asking about the Byrd inserts, or the Grizzly OEM? I haven't measured, but I could try if you really want to know the Byrd (I don't have any Grizzly). Also, this was the only info I found with someone actually comparing the two side by side.

The inserts for the G1021X2 are 15x15x2.5 mm, with a slightly round cutting face.
Almost exactly the same as the Byrd inserts. In fact at the Grizz store we compared them with the Byrd inserts. They fit the Grizz cutterhead, and the size was so close we had to use calipers to see a slight difference in the width, not the thickness.
And this from reddit when I asked: (https://www.reddit.com/r/woodworking/comments/64xrla/will_byrd_inserts_on_a_grizzly_g1021x2_cuttterhead/dg5yavv/)

I think it will likely work decently since you're replacing all of them. If you look at global tooling, there seem to be 4 varieties of commonly available 15 x 15 x 2.5 cutters:

Square Corners, straight edge - for spiral, but not helical cutters, where the edge is parallel with the cutterhead
Radius Corners, Square edge - Same as above, but the seat of the cutterhead insert requires the corners to be rounded to sit properly
Radiused edges, non-radiused corner - These are like the shelix, and the radius seems to be 100mm
Radius edges and radius corners - The radius of the edge is 150mm. My guess is that this would be another possible contender.

There might be some variations in the cutting angle as well, but I don't think they would vary to a significant enough degree to make a difference in cutting wood.