PDA

View Full Version : New bandsaw ordered

Kelly Klaas
04-10-2017, 10:01 PM
I'm pretty excited. I ordered my new bandsaw. Thanks to all the posts on here that helped me make my decision.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/17-Bandsaw-2HP-w-Cast-Iron-Trunnion/G0513X2?utm_campaign=zPage&utm_source=grizzly.com

Kelly
Southern Idaho

Ryan Mooney
04-10-2017, 11:44 PM
Congrats!

Mines been a great saw so far (~5 years in). I'm sure you'll enjoy the heck out of it.

I built a base for mine a lot like:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?119068-Mobile-Base-for-Bandsaw
with the zambus casters its rock solid. It actually provides a wider base than the saw originally had so its even more stable than it was without. I was able to lift it into place with a HF cherry picker engine hoist. That'll give you something to figure on while you're waiting :D

Matthew Springer
04-11-2017, 12:06 AM
Ryan,
Not to hijack the thread. When you built your mobile base, did you weld the crossbars to each other or just drill and bolt them through?

Chris Hachet
04-11-2017, 8:39 AM
Congrats on the saw, for a thousand dollars that is about the best one can do in a new saw.

Enjoy!

Chris

glenn bradley
04-11-2017, 9:23 AM
Been lovin' mine for years. No issues, no weirdness, it just works.

Mike Ontko
04-11-2017, 10:09 AM
Been lovin' mine for years. No issues, no weirdness, it just works.

Ditto! Though it's only been about two years for me and my G0513X2BF.

Congrats, Kelly!

Keith Hankins
04-11-2017, 1:47 PM
I have the original 12+ years old still kick'n Call laguna and tell them you are a creak'r and you will get a discount on the carbide blade. I use my 17" just for resaw.

Ryan Mooney
04-11-2017, 8:05 PM
I have the original 12+ years old still kick'n Call laguna and tell them you are a creak'r and you will get a discount on the carbide blade. I use my 17" just for resaw.

Keith, what size of carbide blade did you end up using? I had more-or-less decided that a 3/4" blade was as heavy as I wanted to try to load/tension but that was a non-carbide and I think it might have been a heavier blade..

Ryan,
Not to hijack the thread. When you built your mobile base, did you weld the crossbars to each other or just drill and bolt them through?

I just bolted them on mine, because I trust bolts more than I trust my welding skills :)

Kelly Klaas
04-12-2017, 7:16 PM
Update: Saw arrived Wednesday. A day earlier that expected. I have a forklift attachment for my front end loader so I was able to set it right inside my shop (2 car garage!). Put it all together except for table. Timberwolf 1" blade should be here Thursday. Want to get it All adjusted for the blade before I put the table on. Also have a mobile base coming. Hope to finish it up Thursday. I did start it up. Quiet and no apparent vibration. Plan to keep my 14 Taiwanese saw for 1/4" blade and use the new one with the wide blade for resaw etc. thanks for all your comments!

Keith Hankins
04-13-2017, 9:09 AM
Keith, what size of carbide blade did you end up using? I had more-or-less decided that a 3/4" blade was as heavy as I wanted to try to load/tension but that was a non-carbide and I think it might have been a heavier blade..

I've used the 1" since I bought it an never an issue. Flutter method for tensioning and never a problem. Hell of a blade smooth as a baby's bottom

https://www.flickr.com/photos/22447246@N06/shares/13t2b4

I just bolted them on mine, because I trust bolts more than I trust my welding skills :)

For reg rip I use the 3tp 3/4" timberwolfe blade.

Kelly Klaas
04-13-2017, 4:56 PM
Update: Timberwolf 1" blade arrived Thursday. Installed blade. Took about 2 hours to set it up...I took longer than normal since I wanted to make sure it was right! Made first cut splitting a 3/4" pine board. Cut was straight, true, smooth and easy. Then I tried a 3" chunk of walnut. Same thing. Saw didn't care if it was pine or walnut. Same type of cut. This thing is a beast! We are going to get along fine together!

Keith Hankins
04-13-2017, 8:32 PM
Cool beans man!

Wes Ramsey
04-13-2017, 9:45 PM
I've tried a few different blades on mine in the ~2 years I've had it. My absolute favorite was the 3/4" Timberwolf 3tpi. Haven't tried the 1", but the 3/4" worked beautifully. Still have one in reserve for the next resaw job!