PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
04-10-2017, 10:35 AM
10 Apr 2017

Good Morning Everyone,
Sorry I'm late but I've been sick since last week and I still feel like 40 miles of bad road. :)

I have projects I need to get done but no energy to get out there and work. I'm hoping for good health by the end of this week so I can make progress in the shop for paying customers. I've decided that I will no longer take projects for hire....but only do things for family. I just don't have time nor energy to work days and nights across every week of every month.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Chad Persing
04-10-2017, 2:15 PM
I'll jump in here as a first time poster 😊 so first off..Hi all! I finally finished up a loft bed for my son. Nothing spectacular and made using simple Douglas fir 2x material. Standing back and looking at it from a distance a normal person would..i think it looks great 👍 of course being the one who had these boards laid out in front of me for hours on end..i sure wish I had better materials to work with and of course a nice shop to do all the work..lol
So that being said..i am assuming I am not allowed to post pictures till a certain post count?

Chris Hachet
04-10-2017, 2:52 PM
Welcome to the creek, Chad-!

Several cabinet doors built for a project. Also, quartz counter tops installed in the kitchen. Additional progress on a new work bench I am building. Cleaned and tuned up several stationary power tools.

Nothing exciting, really.

Bryan Lisowski
04-10-2017, 4:07 PM
I spent the weekend how I could completely reorganize my shop so I could actually get in there and move. The surprising part is I actually got started by moving an old storage shed and put a lock and homemade door latches. I'm trying to chip away a bit at a time.

Dennis Peacock
04-10-2017, 7:51 PM
I'll jump in here as a first time poster �� so first off..Hi all! I finally finished up a loft bed for my son. Nothing spectacular and made using simple Douglas fir 2x material. Standing back and looking at it from a distance a normal person would..i think it looks great �� of course being the one who had these boards laid out in front of me for hours on end..i sure wish I had better materials to work with and of course a nice shop to do all the work..lol
So that being said..i am assuming I am not allowed to post pictures till a certain post count?

Greetings Chad!!!
Welcome to SMC.!!! I'm not aware of a limit before you can post a pic. Just make sure they have a file size that is under 100 Kbytes in size and attached them to your post. The little "painting" icon on the tool bar here will allow you to Insert a pic. Give it a try and let me know how it goes.

Wayne Lomman
04-11-2017, 5:48 AM
I'm with you Dennis. I installed my last job for a customer on Sunday. I am even limiting family jobs as I haven't done any furniture for ourselves for about 25 years. I have been doing necessary stuff and that's all. I am looking forward to refitting the library, building a new dining table, and renovating the kitchen, bathroom, and laundry. That's me for the foreseeable. Cheers

Jim Becker
04-12-2017, 11:15 AM
I'm actually trying to remember what I did on the weekend...oh, yea...ripped out and replaced the wood-munching-bug-infested doorway to our pantry from the kitchen, finished finishing the replacement upper cabinet that goes next to it, got the net back over the patio fish pond so the "friendly" local heron doesn't assume he/she can lunch on our fish, did a bit of work on a honeybee swarm trap and did some other odds and ends.

Brian Henderson
04-12-2017, 11:59 AM
Not a huge amount of woodworking. Installed a new vent hood over the range and did some shop organizing, but most importantly, I put together a spreadsheet of all of the things I actually need to do, both around the house and in the shop, so I can start getting some of it done. It's hard when you don't have a prioritized list, you just get overwhelmed with all the things you ought to be doing, so much so that you never actually get anything done.

Jay Larson
04-12-2017, 1:51 PM
I hear you Jim, the weekend was three days ago.

I went through a stack of maple and got it planed up for some MORE cabinets. It was funny, I thought I would have plenty of room in the collector bag when I started. But once I got past the 'skip' planing and was hitting the full width of the boards, that thing filled up fast...

Then I rough cut some 3/4" MDF for some speakers that I am putting together. And made the pattern for the sides out of some 1/4" ply.

(Had the full PPE gear on, too. Ear plugs, dust collector going, dust mask, and safety glasses. Do not like that stuff.)

Jim Becker
04-12-2017, 7:38 PM
Yea, well, I was traveling on business Monday and Tuesday, so I didn't get to even visit SMC until today. Which reminds me...Tuesday afternoon, I finally stopped in the Woodcraft "world headquarters" in Parkersburg WV. I've been to the town more than a dozen times in the past 7-8 years, give or take, and this was the first time I managed to walk the store. I did buy a quart of the GF "milkpaint" acrylic finish to try out, but otherwise, it was just a nice few minutes of browsing.