PDA

View Full Version : Problem with fonts in Corel Draw

mike klein
04-09-2017, 10:54 PM
I have put up with this issue for years and would like to get it resolved if possible. Whenever I load a document that includes any text using the
Monotype Corsiva font and try to edit it the Substitute Embedded Font box pops up. the only way to edit the text is to change it to some other font
style, I usually use Arial, and then after editing the text change it back to Monotype Corsiva. That is the only font on our system that I have the
problem with.

Tried re-installing the font and that doesn't seem to help.

Vlad Michailovich
04-10-2017, 3:12 AM
X3 once had font problems untill upgraded to SP2

Mike Null
04-10-2017, 7:09 AM
Mike
Are you using Font navigator? If so you need to make it an active font in order to open files using that font.

Your other option is to embed the font when you save the file.

AL Ursich
04-10-2017, 1:44 PM
Just a strange suggestion on that font I use often... try putting a space bar blank before and after the text if it is just one word and at the beginning and end of a sentence.

2% chance it will help... but you never know until trying it...

AL

Kev Williams
04-10-2017, 2:14 PM
Just an aside here-- My BIL who works with me has been a Corel subscriber since version 9. He's spoken to them on the phone several times, has given them a lot of his money. Back when X4 was about to be replaced with X5, he called them, anxious about when it was coming out. They advised him to wait for X6. They didn't elaborate much, other than to say they were having issues with it...

Mike Null
04-10-2017, 2:31 PM
But I have 8, 11, X3, X5, X7 and I use X5 as my favorite.

Gary Hair
04-10-2017, 2:50 PM
I have X5, X6 and X8 - X5 gets used daily along with X8. The only issue I have with X5 is the infamous invisible menu - that's Corel's fault but only because they didn't follow the Windows rules regarding menu colors.

Scott Shepherd
04-10-2017, 3:05 PM
For font problems like that, often times the problem stems from the same font but it's come from 2 different sources, using 2 slightly different file names. The font might be called the same thing, but behind the scenes, the actual font file name is different than the actual font file name that it's looking for. The description might be the same "Monotype Corsiva", but the file names are different. Pay attention to any specific errors and see if you can determine the actual filename it's looking for. If you can, you can rename the filename you have to the one it's looking for, and you'll be set. I've seen that happen a couple times, but having said that, it might not be the issue here, but something to look into and eliminate as the possible cause.

Mike Null
04-10-2017, 3:37 PM
Gary

What is an invisible menu?

Gary Hair
04-10-2017, 4:13 PM

The "File", "Edit", etc., menus are invisible in X5 on a Windows 10 machine, at least until you hover over them, then they appear.

Mike Null
04-10-2017, 5:55 PM
Thank you. I'll be loading X7 on my Mac with Windows 10 so I hope that works.

Lee DeRaud
04-10-2017, 6:14 PM
Thank you. I'll be loading X7 on my Mac with Windows 10 so I hope that works.When I upgraded to X7, they gave me a free copy of Home & Student, so I put that on this machine (MS Surface Book) running Win 10: works fine. And FWIW it also handles very high-res displays a whole bunch better than some other things I've tried.
(I went from X4 straight to X7...apparently I've missed a good bit of drama with the intervening versions.)

Sam Gardner
04-11-2017, 5:49 AM
Corel's font handling has been atrocious since ver1! Especially when copying text from any MS office software it often causes corel to crash. Corel has become annoying by continually changing actions without options to keep on using the old ones, eg the way it forces you to paste text as paragraph, so you now have to perform extra clicks to change it back to plain text. Another feature missing is vertical text centering when using print merge, helpful when doing name badges. In X8, it takes a while for the font drop-down to appear after clicking the arrow icon eg 4 seconds on the text docker but 15 seconds on the toolbar text menu, strange behavior. Why can't Corel get their act together and deliver decent software.

Brian Leavitt
04-12-2017, 10:19 AM
One of the things I absolutely love about Corel X8 is the new Font Manager which, for me, incorporates seamlessly into Draw. No more Bitstream. Any fonts that are on the computer can be used without having to go into the Font Manager and install them. If I download a new font into one of the folders that Font Manager monitors, it shows up immediately in Draw. Now if I open a job and it asks for a font, it's because I actually don't have it, not because it just isn't installed.