PDA

View Full Version : Makita 2040 Planer

Jack Graff
04-09-2017, 1:40 PM
Aloha Guys, newbie here. I recently picked up a Makita 2040 planer which was a basket kit. The parts were all there, just had been taken apart when it stopped running. I have basically rebuilt the planer and she's ready to start cutting. I sent the rollers out to Western Roller, they are good people, and did a good job and shipped them back nice, and at a reasonable price. I would recommend them if you need that sort of thing. I replaced the brushes in the motor, and then did a direct hook up test run on the motor, It runs fine, put everything back together, (switch was in the box too.), Now on fire up, it blows the fuse, after a couple seconds of trying to run. ( Now , I told you I did test run it from the cord and it ran fine), so I have the wires hooked up either as a 220, or the switch is wired incorrectly. I CAN, bypass the whole mess and just meter it out and run it as my own design as 110, But thought maybe someone has the wiring diagram, and or could shoot me a picture of theirs as to how it is hooked up. There are two blue wires and then two orange wires, and they run up and down from the switch to the motor, so obviously I must have them hooked up incorrectly, even though I thought I was paying attention, ( given the fact that the switch was in the box too, and not hooked up. Should be a nice tool, and I sharpened the blades, and just want to get the wiring right, and then I have some Mango that I am ready to test it on.
Thanks for any help anyone might have, as to how there's is hooked up, and a diagram, for the 110V hook up, as I guess this planer will run on 220 or 110 depending on how you wire it. ?
Thanks Aloha

Dimitrios Fradelakis
04-09-2017, 2:22 PM
Here is the manual for your planer.

http://pdfstream.manualsonline.com/8/8a66014b-5e38-4011-9033-c917404ae8e9.pdf

Dimitrios Fradelakis
04-09-2017, 2:25 PM
And a link to someone else rebuilding said planer:

http://wooditis.blogspot.com/2013/05/fun-with-old-tools-lets-rebuild-makita.html?m=1

Jack Graff
04-11-2017, 3:09 PM
Thanks guys, haven't been able to look at it, as I am heading out the door, but appreciate it, as I pretty much rebuilt the whole thing, and it looks damn pretty, but will be nicer when I see wood chips flying out the top.