PDA

View Full Version : 20w galvo q switch fiber laser y axis stop working

Anthony Nguyen
04-09-2017, 12:08 AM
I've been reading here alot but hadn't actually post. Well I just bought a 20w galvo q switch fiber laser and been playing around with it and 5 weeks. The y axis just stop working in the middle of a project. It was marking fine and then it would only mark straight horizontal lines. I opened the lens and found the y axis mirror doesn't move. Anyone with this similar problem? The machine is only 5 weeks old. The laser source is maxphotonics. The galvanometer scan head is ouya scanhead10. I think I'm just unlucky and got a faulty galvanometer, but it's past the 30 days return time and they won't accept a return. It costs more for me to ship the whole machine back and wait 30-45 days for them to repair and ship back. I have a personalized gift shop that can only go 10 days without this engraver. Should I just replace the scanhead? I found a similar spec to the ouya scanhead10 at https://www.aliexpress.com/item/fiber-scanning-galvanometer-STT8161-digital-modle-spot-10mm-with-power-box/32403636759.html?spm=2114.01010208.0.0.MyveVU

When I turn on the machine only the x axis mirror moves, the y mirror just doesn't move at all. Everything else seem fine. Anyone had this same problem but it's not the y mirror motor? I believe the control board is also inside the unit, so instead of replacing just the motor I'd just replace the whole scan head. Time is not on my side. Shipping cost DHL Express for this machine (25kg) is about $400 one way. So it would cost me $800, the galvanometer I found is about that price. I'm just afraid to buy it only to find out it doesn't fix the problem.

Bill George
04-09-2017, 8:39 AM
You paid $12,000 for a machine with only a 30 day warranty? I have no idea where your located but a quick search turned up this,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-20W-Q-SWITCH-INDUSTRIAL-FIBER-LASER-MARKING-ENGRAVING-CUTTING-SYSTEM-/301939786754 and of course the one you found https://www.aliexpress.com/item/fiber-scanning-galvanometer-STT8161-digital-modle-spot-10mm-with-power-box/32403636759.html?spm=2114.01010208.0.0.MyveVU

DHL Air is 3 Days from China for the head.

Kev Williams
04-09-2017, 12:09 PM
My Triumph fiber has had some weird engraving issues, notice the errant engraving 'outside the lines'...

...no one (that would be anyone here or the Triumph engineers) who's seen these results has ever seen such a problem or has any idea of its cause.

My own troubleshooting, which involved not much more than checking connections within the machine, revealed nothing obvious, other than a poorly soldered connector plug, which is the plug that connects to the control board, the other end of which connects to the scanhead. Simply checking, disconnecting and reconnecting the plugs stopped the problem, which at the time I could almost repeat at will. The machine ran thru several thousand parts with no issue. Then one day it did it again, the pic above is when that happened. It's a 10 or so digit part number and it did this on about half the numbers. However, while moving the machine- which I have on 2x4 wood blocks as risers- into position to engrave the part, I accidentally pulled it off the front 2x4 and it hit the table with a jolt. After that is when it did the funny engraving again. I've handled the machine more gingerly since then ;) -- but since then, it hasn't messed up again...

It's my belief that the problem is simply a loose or poor connection on that main plug...

That all said-- In the beginning Triumph insisted on sending me a new scanhead as they felt it might be the problem, this was around Thanksgiving last November. FWIW I bought the machine in July.

After receiving the scanhead- which took all of 3 days- I told Yolanda about my checking the connections and that I'd rather not install the new one unless it messed up again. She said that was fine, and for me to take all the time I wanted. That was first week in December. A few weeks later I told Yolanda I should just send it back- okay, but now all the Chinese holidays and trade shows were starting up, I could send it back sometime in February.

Sometime in February was when the second mishap occurred, so I sent Triumph pics and told them I would change it after all. That was another story as when I finally opened the box, I found the lens ring on the scanhead was bent from someone dropping it... anyway, another 2 weeks went by before actually changing it. But as I mentioned above, after the last mishap it's engraved perfectly, and has since changing the scanhead too...

So I'm not sure if it's loose wires or if the scanhead was at fault. I'm just happy it's running good!

--but I still believe it's a bad connection... So that said, if you're mechanically inclined, you should bust your machine open and see if your dead mirror is simply a loose or bad wire/connection.

As for shipping, I got mine in 3 days, and Triumph got it back in 3 days. DHL both ways-- there's no need for 30 days wait as far as that goes.

And a bad scanhead is a warranty issue, not a "return part" issue- there's no excuse for the company you bought it from to NOT send you a new scanhead under terms of your warranty, which should be at LEAST a year.

If you bought the machine from a re-seller, you need to determine the manufacturer and deal with them directly.

matthew knott
04-09-2017, 4:11 PM
Carefull just swapping out galvo heads, some run on 25v and some on 15v plus the pin outs can varry between types , I'd say you would have at least a 50/50 chance of a Head being compatible, but "do you feel lucky"?

John Lifer
04-09-2017, 6:55 PM
Well, Good luck to you, I'll say that my head has a label on it that is marked 'Warranty void if removed" Even the Chinese don't want you to open up and play with the mirrors.
I'm a tinkerer and I'll not do it! But DANG, 30 day warranty, and Bill, even the other link doesn't mention warranty that I could see! If I had about 50K, to play with, I'd become a Ebay reseller!

Anthony Nguyen
04-10-2017, 1:14 AM
Bill, I paid $4250 for the machine plus rotary and DHL Express http://www.ebay.com/itm/20W-Desktop-Potable-Mini-Fiber-Laser-Making-Engraver-Maker-Rotary-CE-FDA-220V-/152456781402
http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidsLogin&item=152456781402&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2564
It was 30 days return, not 30 days warranty. I was looking for a quick fix instead of having to ship the whole machine back for them to repair under warranty and then ship back to me. It took 10 days even with DHL express because custom held it 3 days before releasing. So I estimate they take a week or so to repair and 20 days in transit time.
Anyway, I did open up the part right before the scanhead and found the scanhead model. It was made by ouya and label scanhead10 so it's this one http://www.ouyaauto.com/en/Dimensional/201608042.html
I will email the seller on aliexpress to see if his is compatible with the one I have. I know it's 15V and 25 pin, marking speed and positioning speed is a bit faster than the one on aliexpress. The other specs are like foreign language to me.

Anthony Nguyen
04-10-2017, 1:18 AM
The machine was made by Maxphotonics. I did talk directly with them, but they want me to deal with the seller, http://www.cncoletech.com/. They did confirm they would fix the machine if the seller deal with them since it's only a couple months. It's just the galvanometer scanhead is around $700. Shipping the machine back and forth would cost me about that much plus I have to wait longer even with express DHL.

Bill George
04-10-2017, 8:43 AM
The machine was made by Maxphotonics. I did talk directly with them, but they want me to deal with the seller, http://www.cncoletech.com/. They did confirm they would fix the machine if the seller deal with them since it's only a couple months. It's just the galvanometer scanhead is around $700. Shipping the machine back and forth would cost me about that much plus I have to wait longer even with express DHL.

You have learned the the joy of purchasing a laser from a eBay vender with no US warranty. You will need to purchase the parts from the maker and DIY then hope for the best. Its not economically feasible to send the entire machine back.

Anthony Nguyen
04-10-2017, 9:43 AM
You are right Bill, lesson learned. But!
Most of the US sellers with US warranty quoted me 2-3 times that price for a 1 yr warranty and US support for literally the same Chinese made machine. Example is the 14k lit-laser you found also on ebay. I also talked to laserstar and got a 25k quote for a 20W mopa which is a better machine. Beside laserstar though I don't know any other US sellers that sell US made machine. Most other would just say, tested in US, assembled in US. I thought I just pay 14k upfront for the marketing and US support and if something go wrong they can send me parts or even another machine from their US inventory. For 14k I would just get 3 sets and have backups also interchange parts myself when something goes wrong. I don't have 14k upfront though that was why I bought a 4.5k machine to start with. Do you know any legit US seller with a better machine that actually made in US with US parts? Please point me to the right direction. I might just get another set as backup. I just need an upgrade to mopa instead of q switch and be able to use with mini rotary for my rings. Thanks in advance.

Neville Stewart
04-10-2017, 9:57 AM
Kev Williams. I got that same flaw on a titanium coated knife and couldn't fix it, but when I ran it on a test piece of coated aluminum, it stayed inside the lines. I couldn't figure it out either. Thought it might be too hot so I played around with lots of power settings and focus. I did get a nice blue & a black but kept getting that drop shadow effect on the knife body. Couldn't replicate it on other material.

Scott Shepherd
04-10-2017, 10:06 AM
The problem with the cheap scan heads is that they permanently affix the mirrors to each scan axis motor shaft. You can buy a replacement motor with the mirror attached, but you'll have to roll the dice on getting it aligned. You'll either get lucky or you'll be out of luck. Better scan heads have mirrors that you can replace.

At this point, I think the quickest solution is getting a new scan head moving your direction. It stinks but it's about your only option if you need to be back up and running. They are easy to replace. Just make sure you get it level when you bolt the new one back on. You can fine tune it once it's on by putting a large piece in, setting the power low and marking a square the entire working area. If it's right, it'll mark the entire square. If it's on an angle, it'll be light on one side. Rotate the head a little and try again. You want the lightest setting you can get to make a mark. Once it's right, it'll mark evenly all the way around.

You'll have to adjust your red dot pointer and calibrate the XY axis (tools in the parameters section), but it's all very simple. Should take about 20-30 minutes total.

Neville Stewart
04-10-2017, 10:33 AM
The problem with the cheap scan heads is that they permanently affix the mirrors to each scan axis motor shaft. You can buy a replacement motor with the mirror attached, but you'll have to roll the dice on getting it aligned. You'll either get lucky or you'll be out of luck. Better scan heads have mirrors that you can replace.

At this point, I think the quickest solution is getting a new scan head moving your direction. It stinks but it's about your only option if you need to be back up and running. They are easy to replace. Just make sure you get it level when you bolt the new one back on. You can fine tune it once it's on by putting a large piece in, setting the power low and marking a square the entire working area. If it's right, it'll mark the entire square. If it's on an angle, it'll be light on one side. Rotate the head a little and try again. You want the lightest setting you can get to make a mark. Once it's right, it'll mark evenly all the way around.

You'll have to adjust your red dot pointer and calibrate the XY axis (tools in the parameters section), but it's all very simple. Should take about 20-30 minutes total.
Hey Keith - we need a "Like" button.

Kev Williams
04-10-2017, 11:38 AM
Bill, I paid $4250 for the machine plus rotary and DHL Express http://www.ebay.com/itm/20W-Desktop-Potable-Mini-Fiber-Laser-Making-Engraver-Maker-Rotary-CE-FDA-220V-/152456781402
http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidsLogin&item=152456781402&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2564
It was 30 days return, not 30 days warranty.
So you SHOULD HAVE a warranty--- Then the seller should do exactly as Triumph did for me, just send you a replacement scanhead and instructions on sending the old one back-- They'd rather do that work on yours themselves.

Changing the scan head is a few allen bolts and a plug. Followed by some alignment as Shepherd says.

DON'T LET THE SELLER OFF THE HOOK----

Anthony Nguyen
04-10-2017, 11:45 AM
Thanks alot Scott.
I already ordered another scanhead. I'm also looking for another machine as backup. Anyone know any reliable company in the US for a portable mopa fiber laser with angle adjustable rotary for rings jewelry? Main materials I engrave are 304L, 316L Steel, Titanium, Tungsten Rings, Brass, Copper, Sterling Silver personalized gifts and jewelry.

Gary Hair
04-10-2017, 12:22 PM
Anyone know any reliable company in the US

No, not for what you are trying to find. The only reputable, reliable company I know of in the US is Jimani but they aren't selling rotary fixture with their machines - last time I talked to them anyway.

However, pretty much anyone who sells fiber lasers will be more reliable than an ebay seller. You already have proof that ebay warranties are useless and the shysters selling there know that. They have your money and you have *something* in return, that's all that ebay really requires from sellers. Go direct to any of the named manufacturers you find here and you'll be much better off than you are now.

Kev Williams
04-10-2017, 2:21 PM
Ok, just curious, how long does Ebay give you to dispute a bad sale?

Gary Hair
04-10-2017, 2:48 PM
Ok, just curious, how long does Ebay give you to dispute a bad sale?

I believe it's 30 days but here's the catch - you can't dispute a sale just because the terms of the warranty suck. As long as the seller has followed their policies regarding warranty repairs, exchanges, returns, etc., ebay considers them to be doing their job and you won't get any help from them.

matthew knott
04-10-2017, 4:39 PM
Bottom line, youre in the USA they are in China , if they decided not to give you any help there is not a thing you can do! Many of these are sold by resellers on tiny margins, it's a race to the bottom on prices and this is the downside. You might send it back and never see it again as now you don't even have the backing of eBay. Ask again if they will send a replacement galvo Head, if they don't start trying to fix it yourself. Buying expensive kit like this unsighted is always a roll of the dice!

Bill George
04-10-2017, 6:25 PM
There are a lot of reputable Chinese venders, I purchased from one, Kev and Gary from another. Its called doing research before buying. The best you can do now is like your doing order the replacement and hope for the best. You might tell your eBay buyer what you are doing and where your posting. I would also not let them off the hook, complain to eBay and did you pay with PayPal? Same again.

Cut and pasted from the eBay vender listing.... I just sent them an email asking about the warranty, so we will see. I was looking at this machine before I purchased from Ray Fine.

We provide the technology support before and after of the sale. Generally, we reply the question within 24 hours. You can also contact with us by MSN or Skype anytime for the online service.
We have one year warranty for our machine.
We can provide all of the replacement parts and supply all of the consumables.
If you can't sure if your material is suitable for our machine or you want to see the marking result,please send us the sample,we would like to test free for you.

New message from: cnsigntech (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11051.m44.l1181/7?euid=682902c00cb34b09875c0f82844d0b6f&bu=43200026065&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fusr%2Fcnsign tech&sojTags=bu=bu)(3,569http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/icon/iconRedStar_25x25.gif
) (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11051.m44.l1183/7?euid=682902c00cb34b09875c0f82844d0b6f&bu=43200026065&loc=http%3A%2F%2Ffeedback.ebay.com%2Fws%2FeBayISAP I.dll%3FViewFeedback%26userid%3Dcnsigntech%26ssPag eName%3DSTRK%3AME%3AUFS&sojTags=bu=bu)

Glad to hear from you again.
Yes, of course. We have one year warranty. Our engineer will help you to test if there is any problem with the machine.
And then give you the solution ,send the needed spare part or return for repair.
Don't worry about it,
Any other question, please let me know.

with best regards
Shirley

Anthony Nguyen
04-10-2017, 7:00 PM
Bill,
How do you like your Ray Fine machine? Have you dealt with their support before? I'm looking at their 20w galvo fiber laser with camera position. That seems to be a new cool feature (if it work).
I finally gotten a reply from them asking for a video replicating the problem. Which I did https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMx-mHEtCT0
I will update to see what step they take next for the warranty.

Bill George
04-10-2017, 8:49 PM
Bill,
How do you like your Ray Fine machine? Have you dealt with their support before? I'm looking at their 20w galvo fiber laser with camera position. That seems to be a new cool feature (if it work).
I finally gotten a reply from them asking for a video replicating the problem. Which I did https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMx-mHEtCT0
I will update to see what step they take next for the warranty.

The only issues I had were solved via email. I had one nosily fan motor I checked and found I could oil and it was fine. Just went ahead a replaced both with exact same only ball bearing ones. Never bothered with warranty. Others on here own Ray Fine, Rabbit, and others I can not recall, have been happy.

Anthony Nguyen
04-11-2017, 10:10 AM
Thanks Bill,
I'm talking to Ray Fine for a 2nd (backup) system.

Jacob John
07-30-2017, 12:24 AM
I've been reading here alot but hadn't actually post. Well I just bought a 20w galvo q switch fiber laser and been playing around with it and 5 weeks. The y axis just stop working in the middle of a project. It was marking fine and then it would only mark straight horizontal lines. I opened the lens and found the y axis mirror doesn't move. Anyone with this similar problem? The machine is only 5 weeks old. The laser source is maxphotonics. The galvanometer scan head is ouya scanhead10. I think I'm just unlucky and got a faulty galvanometer, but it's past the 30 days return time and they won't accept a return. It costs more for me to ship the whole machine back and wait 30-45 days for them to repair and ship back. I have a personalized gift shop that can only go 10 days without this engraver. Should I just replace the scanhead? I found a similar spec to the ouya scanhead10 at https://www.aliexpress.com/item/fiber-scanning-galvanometer-STT8161-digital-modle-spot-10mm-with-power-box/32403636759.html?spm=2114.01010208.0.0.MyveVU

When I turn on the machine only the x axis mirror moves, the y mirror just doesn't move at all. Everything else seem fine. Anyone had this same problem but it's not the y mirror motor? I believe the control board is also inside the unit, so instead of replacing just the motor I'd just replace the whole scan head. Time is not on my side. Shipping cost DHL Express for this machine (25kg) is about $400 one way. So it would cost me $800, the galvanometer I found is about that price. I'm just afraid to buy it only to find out it doesn't fix the problem.

This is one of my concerns buying a Chinese machine. I can take apart a computer and build it back from scratch, but for reasons unknown, I'm not the best at lasers. I would have no issues purchasing a Chinese laser with US support, but there are so many of those, it's really hard to know who to trust. I looked at LIT Laser, but can't find anything about them.