PDA

View Full Version : Have scraps, time to build something

steven c newman
04-08-2017, 7:03 PM
Have a nice stack of "leftovers" from the table project....

Laid out a D-8 crosscut saw...
Only to figure out the 1x6 was a bit too narrow, had to add a bit. marked a "lean back" angle..
Short board is a "stand-in for the bottom. 1 x 1 will be for the totes to sit on, after I round those square corners off. May attach it with a Mortise & Tenon joint.

Kind of leery building a tool holder of wood like Oak and it's relatives.....they tend not to play nice with iron products....

Up near the "top" a larger piece will get kerfs to match the saws teeth. use it to set the spacing, so teeth don't grate against each other going in or out.
Jointer plane to joint a couple edges for a glue up ( Stanley #28, this time around) then a forest of clamps appeared..
Should be enough in there, to make both sides of the til. It will get a plywood back, since I may have enough left for that.
But, right now, I have a bench full. Will just have to wait on the glue to cure. Will give me time to find a spot to set it in.....BTW: About 17 saws want a spot in the til....two MAY be too big....we'll see.

steven c newman
04-09-2017, 8:41 PM
Update: A trip to the store today, to pick a few pine boards. Used about all mine longer boards up in the glue up.

Got the blank out of the clamps, and sawed the two halves apart. Then came all the cutting and fitting to get two sides to at least get close to matching each other..
Straight edge will be the "back" . The angled edge ( front) needed all the saw marks removed. Tried a couple planes..
Stanley #5-1/2 was a bit too big. Went with a cambered #5 instead. Got this edge nice and mark-free. Then that straight edge..
Go out a different jack plane, without any camber. Next, all four faces needed smoothed, and the glue joint planed level..
Something like this? The plane?
A #3 sized plane. Sold at Sears, made by Millers Falls. Has a gold Logo, even..
Stood the two sides up to see how they will set..
Will have to go back and check what angle it leans back at. I checked to make sure a "normal" saw will still fit..
Works for me. Lumber picked up today for the base, and the top, and maybe some other parts.
Suppertime, I think I'll call it a day....stay tuned...

steven c newman
04-09-2017, 8:42 PM
Also checked to see how the handles would fit..
Looks good from my house...

steven c newman
04-10-2017, 9:14 AM
Today is a Monday....I try not to go into the shop on Mondays......we'll see what happens after Honey-do jobs today...

steven c newman
04-10-2017, 2:21 PM
Not really wood working in the shop...but, I moved a few things around this morning. The B&D WorkMate was emptied of the Sears Sanding center, and moved away from the end of the lathe's bench. Sanding center will have a new spot over on the "power tool bench" by the grinder. WorkMate was moved to the empty spot under the screwdriver holder. Swept the junk from under where the workmate sat....plan now is to "hang" the new saw til on the end of the lathe's bench. Only spot large enough in the shop for it....need to dig those two "extra" saws out of the old tool chest, so they can also got into the til...

IF I happen to wander back to the shop ( on a Monday?) I'll take along the camera....
Have an old Kennedy Tool Box, I can sit under the til.....just to keep from tripping over it....

steven c newman
04-10-2017, 3:51 PM
Ok, pictures, or it didn't happen..
Floor has been swept..
Tool box moved to help set up the saw til..
WorkMate that used to sit here is in it's new home..
And the sanding machine that used to sit on the workmate is in it's new home, for now..
On a bench I call the Power Tool Bench. 1x6 is there to keep things from walking off the shelf..
Test fit only, to see where all the parts will go. The ONLY woodworking today ( Monday, you know) was to attach that 2 x 4 cleat. Had a piece of wood at the end of the lathe bench that needed trimmed back, first. Good thing I used that Aldi's Cheapo Handsaw, as there was a screw hidden in there. Good thing I didn't use a "good" saw.

lathe is about "toast" anyway, more of a place to stash junk. Will keep the bench it sits on, but will be looking at a Harbor Freight lathe as a replacement. All the shop does, lathe wise, is turn spindles, don't really need a fancy lathe.

Once the til is done, I can move the old tool box to a better spot. Need to get some SDST screws, to attach the rest of the cleats to the metal legs.
I think that will do for one day.

steven c newman
04-10-2017, 7:23 PM
May do a bit of cross cutting tonight, then worry about joinery maybe tomorrow.....bad storms coming in.....might be a good place to be is in the shop.

I may or may not leave the backsaws out of this.....we'll see. Not sure IF a door is really needful......

Designed as I go along, nothing on paper.

steven c newman
04-10-2017, 8:52 PM
Crosscutting is about done...
Needed two 1x4s @ 18-3/4" long. Mitre Box is a Stanley #2246
Crosscut a 1x2 to make a series of kerf cuts..
After getting the first few a bit wide, re-adjusted a bit, and made the narrow ones. Then just grabbed a handsaw and "opened" the slot a bit to match the saws's kerfs. At least they won't rattle in there.
Had a smaller 1 x1, which I will round the top two corners over, and it was also cut to 18-3/4" long..
This is for the handles to sit on. I also cut the 1 x 8 base to 18-3/4" long..
Got my Cardio Workout sawing this 1 x 8. Ever wonder why there is a small hole at the ends of mitre box saws?
Usually about the size of a large finishing nail?
While the saw's handle won't let you go too far forward, this nail will keep you from pulling the saw too far back.
I also checked to see IF I had enough 1/4" plywood left...yep.
That will do for today. Might try my hand at joinery tomorrow....we'll see.

Noah Magnuson
04-11-2017, 8:43 AM
I appreciate the effort put into showing the everyday projects in your shop. I feel selfish just blowing through mine without a thought of sharing, but my time in the shop vs. the young family is quite limited so I rarely take pics and whatnot. Keep at it.

steven c newman
04-11-2017, 8:05 PM
The privilege of being retired, is IF you want to work in the shop all day, or take the day off.......doesn't matter.

Cleaned up that area of the shop today..whew. Then a walk-about produced a #3 plane to restore. Now sitting here, the mind is trying to figure out the joinery for the til. Once the bench is cleared off enough for that, I might get busy...tomorrow.

Debating on how to add the plywood back.....just nail it on...or set up the Stanley 45 and make a few rebates......May need to cut the 1x4 top down to match the top of the sides....straight cut, beveled cut, or a straight cut and plane the bevel....

More I clean the shop...the more saws turn up, wanting a place in the til....

Thanks for looking in....

steven c newman
04-12-2017, 12:53 PM
The four outside corners will get through dovetails. Since that is what the rest of the shop storage has. Trying to figure out which way they will go, though.

The board with the kerf slots will get glued to a cross member, Then the crossmember will get attached to the sides with a wide, single dovetail into a socket. I also have to rebate it for the back panels to sit into. A "bracket" near the bottom will go between the bench's legs and the back of the til, that way, I can get the desired lean to the til. Will make it out of two pieces, and into an "L" shape. top piece will be to keep the sides from "blowing out" so I gues the "pins" will go on the sides, pointing up. Need to cut the top piece to size, and maybe bevel the leading edge to match the sides. IF I have too much overhang there, stuff would tend to gather there....

Bottom of the sides may get tails, instead of pins, I don't want the weight, if any, to push the bottom out of the til. Might take all afternoon on getting things set up, and laid out.....anyone want to stop by and help out?

As soon as Lunch settles, I might head for the shop.

steven c newman
04-12-2017, 3:58 PM
Got just enough done to show I was actually in the shop...even had to keep sweeping the floor after each step...
Rebate along the back edge of each side, using that Wards (Stanley) #78...
Set up for a glue up....didn't have any small clamps handy....or, did I?
Might get some use out of the old WorkMate, yet.
Pins on the top ends of the sides..
Cut the tails to match...almost...
And checked for square..
Taking a break right now....no A/C in the shop, I am soaked. Cool down, dry off, rest up a bit, maybe later...try some more...

steven c newman
04-12-2017, 8:39 PM
Headed back to the shop in a bit.....the til's bottom needs to be dovetailed in place, next. need to figure out which gets pins, and which gets tails......flip a coin? Still going to be through dovetails, as it matches the rest of the shop's joinery. Might check on the glue up, while I am down there...be back when the Mountain Dew runs out...

steven c newman
04-13-2017, 12:13 AM
Lay out...
Saw then Chop 1/2 way..
Flip over..
And chop the rest...Rogue's Gallery..
Mark out for tails..
Sharp pencil, draw around the pins, saw to the waste side of the lines, and chop some more..
Mountain Dew about gone, might as well stop here..
Maybe next time in the shop, a back installed, and the saw rack installed....oh, and something for these handles to sit on..
Next time, stay tuned to this Batty Channel....

steven c newman
04-13-2017, 2:09 PM
1x1 I was going to use for the handles to rest on, was too low...Cut a new 1x to length, but needed to round over this edge..
Grabbed a couple toys..
And went to work..
Test fit,again..
Will do, far now. Decided to glue up the carcass..
So I can better fit things to the back, and the insides. Waiting on Elmer to finish setting up...

teeth of the saws will be going towards the inside of the til....

steven c newman
04-14-2017, 12:27 PM
Well, til s almost done...
And I am not happy with it. Not enough lean back, among other things
The saws I used to set the height of the top, were the shortest of the regular 26" sized handsaws.....Piece across the top was cut back to allow the longer saws more room....

Don't like the location of the til...too low, and needs this to lean it back..
may just move the til up onto the old lathe bench, sit it right on the end. Then I can get a proper lean back. Right now, there is a keeper bar across the til, to keep some of the saws from falling back out.

I did get the dovetails all planed smooth..
Took a bit of fancy stuff to clamp it to the bench..
used the leg vise to help out.

Going back to the shop after awhile, and see IF I can correct a few things......means I have to move all them saws...again...Grrrrrr, film at 2300 hrs...maybe.

steven c newman
04-14-2017, 3:30 PM
Well, fixed a number of things today....
Moved the til up onto the old lathe bench. Added a strip of wood under the front edge, and fastened it all down.

Redid the handle rest, now have two bars across the til's "floor" to hold the horns better
Added a 2 x 2 to the front edge of the til
Made a block to hold a 7/8" dowel rod out the side of the til.....notched the top edge of the dowel to better hold two short saws.
And a small peg for the Keyhole saw. Floor is now cleaned up..
Need to get that old tool box up off the floor...
This is what you will see when you walk down the steps to the Dungeon Shop....no finish on it ...yet
Might do for now..I guess. Still need to go and pick up a saw at the sharpener's place...
Haven't took the time to inventory the other saws....what you see, is what I have...

David Eisenhauer
04-14-2017, 4:53 PM
Lots of saws Stephen. Lots of duplicates? or lots of different tooth counts in both rip and cross cut?

steven c newman
04-14-2017, 4:59 PM
Three different D-23s, three different D-8s, couple of No. 7s, and a few singletons of other types. When the mitre saws aren't needed, they can sit in the til until their miter box is needed. Mostly Disstons,with two Atkins, and a Great Neck Corsair.

A very Motley Crew....

steven c newman
04-16-2017, 12:21 PM
There are a few rip saws @ 5-1/2 to 6PPi, there are a few crosscuts from 7 to 10 ppi. There are the mitre box saws, for the two mitre boxes I use. The three saws hanging on the side are just panel saws, and a keyhole saw. Have since added another hook, to hold that "Dovetail" saw I have been using. Backsaws are still hanging overhead, as well as the coping and hacksaws. May look into a til for them.....