PDA

View Full Version : Trying to choose finish for speakers. Mahogany and wenge veneer

Matt Lau
04-08-2017, 3:37 PM
Dear Creekers,

This is sort of embarrassing for me to post, but I've almost never worked with MDF.
Over the past 3 months, I've been veneering and assembling a set of Overnight Sensations speakers in mahogany and wenge.
After much screwups, I've had the stuff veneered to my satisfaction using Titebond 3. The ledges were handplaned to a nice smooth transition.

However, I'm not sure what finish to use?

As a guitar builder, I usually just french polish everything...it's pretty much all I know how to do.
I'd tried the Birchwood-Casey gunstock finish from LMII, but wasn't happy.
In this case, french polishing the speakers might be a bit impractical and silly.

Should I just do an oil varnish and wax?
Should I french polish?
I'd like to bring out the character of the veneers.

Thanks ahead of time!

Andy Giddings
04-08-2017, 3:57 PM
Matt, depending upon the size of the speakers and how much abuse they'll get (from kids, pets etc) then French Polish would be a great choice, especially as you are experienced.

Alternatives for grain character are any good quality oil based finish. I like both Waterlox (Original) and General Finishes Arm R Seal. Both can be wiped on, come in different sheens if that's what you need

Scott DelPorte
04-08-2017, 8:52 PM
If you're used to French polishing, I wouldn't hesitate to do it on speakers. I was in the same boat recently on a cherry bookshelf I built, and didn't want to fuss with varnishes so I just French polished it. It's not as durable as varnish, but it looks good and a speaker probably doesn't need the protection of something like a tabletop.

Bill McNiel
04-08-2017, 9:05 PM
Matt, depending upon the size of the speakers and how much abuse they'll get (from kids, pets etc) then French Polish would be a great choice, especially as you are experienced.

Alternatives for grain character are any good quality oil based finish. I like both Waterlox (Original) and General Finishes Arm R Seal. Both can be wiped on, come in different sheens if that's what you need

Andy has presented both of my suggestions.

Wayne Lomman
04-09-2017, 5:11 AM
French polishing is perfect for this. No question for me. Cheers

Matt Lau
04-10-2017, 12:23 PM
Thanks, guys!

I'll get some everclear and Kusmi seedlac.
Pics when it's all done.