PDA

View Full Version : Camera recommendation

Rick Moyer
04-07-2017, 1:10 PM
Wife needs a new camera for real estate use. Therefore a somewhat wide angle capability is required, but some decent zoom would be nice too. It also needs to be more compact than a big DSLR. (She's been using my old Rebel DSLR, but it doesn't have an SD card so it's not as compatible with their office's computer). Their office has a Nikon Coolpix P530 (borrowable but shared; she'd like her own) http://www.bestbuy.com/site/canon-powershot-sx530-16-0-megapixel-hs-digital-camera-black/2761156.p?skuId=2761156 , so I am looking for something similar but preferably <$300. Doesn't have to be the newest model. There are so many cameras to compare/buy that my head spins just looking. I guess I am asking if you know of a camera that has a reasonable zoom range, wide angle capable too, takes SD card for maybe closer to $250. Here's another consideration:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/canon-powershot-sx530-16-0-megapixel-hs-digital-camera-black/2761156.p?skuId=2761156

I am thinking there may be a lesser camera that will do as well. I can chose between these two, but would like to be pointed to other options you may be aware of that will suffice. Would like to stay with Nikon or Canon. Thanks.

Lee Schierer
04-07-2017, 1:34 PM
The Canon EOS Rebel T2i DSLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm (https://www.amazon.com/Canon-T2i-Camera-18-55mm-3-5-5-6/dp/B0035FZJHQ) is about the same size as the cameras you linked to and has far more versatility in the long run. This is an older model camera but it is highly reliable and easy to use. It uses an SD card and has a rechargeable battery. I have this camera and have taken thousands of photos with it. The prices for eh lens and camera is ~$170

Jerome Stanek
04-07-2017, 1:43 PM
Take her to a camera shop and let her try a few. It is hard to buy a camera for someone else as each one feels different.

John Lohmann
04-07-2017, 7:59 PM
What's a camera shop? The biggest one in ATL closed earlier this year

Rick Moyer
04-07-2017, 9:04 PM
Yeah, there's not any near here either. It's gonna have to box store or mail order. She kinda relies on me to do this stuff for her so that's why I'm asking for opinions/suggestion on camera options.

Jim Becker
04-07-2017, 9:04 PM
B&H Photo is where I solve GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) issues with photography. That said, P&S cameras are not going to be the best bet for wide angle real estate (interior) photography, both for getting an actual wide angle due to the extremely cropped sensor as well as poor performance in low light. I strongly suggest you stick with a DSLR and invest in a wide-zoom. (That 18-55mm that Lee mentions is really the equivalent of a 24-70mm on a full frame or film camera, and 24mm isn't all that wide) Unfortunately, you're not going to get there with your budget. If your wife can handle manual focus (everything else automatic if needed), you could pick up a Rokinon/Samyang 14mm lens for your existing DSLR and at least get the wide angle part covered.

Bradley Gray
04-07-2017, 9:36 PM
We bought a Panasonic Lumix DMC-F270 a couple years ago. In your price range, not quite as big as a DSLR with awesome features and results.

Jerome Stanek
04-08-2017, 7:33 AM

I guess we are lucky to have 2 big ones and some smaller shops around here.

Rick Moyer
04-08-2017, 8:36 AM
Jim, yes I get that the DSLR gives her better options. She's been using my OLD Rebel with the lens Lee indicated. I'll have to see if she's wanting a wider angle, or if her main contention is that my old camera has the bigger memory card. Lee's option may be the way to go. I like the idea of interchangeable lens, but she may not. I don't think she ever really needs a long zoom though, so the Rebel Lee referenced might be a good option. Plus I have other lens that she could use then without having to buy.

Greg Cuetara
04-08-2017, 9:27 AM
one thing to consider is that MP is not the be all end all. I have a 6.3mp DSLR and my wife has a 16mp p&s and my camera takes better pictures all day every day. I had a realtor come into my house with their p&s and the pictures posted online were not good at all and i was really disappointed. if you are worried about memory card compatibility buy a card reader and hook it up to the usb port and problem solved. pictures transfer much faster through a memory card reader than directly through the camera. good luck, Greg

Jim Becker
04-08-2017, 11:37 AM
A lot of real estate photography is "inside" these days and wide angle is necessary to capture the view from constrained space. A large aperture (f/1.8 or f/2.8) is desirable to be able to deal with the less than ideal lighting. Since photography serves an even increased responsibility in real estate marketing these days since so much of the marketing starts online, getting the best photos possible is pretty much essential. You can combine a relatively inexpensive, albeit newer DSLR body that will support larger storage cards with a decent "real estate worthy" lens for a reasonable sum, especially if you buy used from a reputable source, like B&H Photo, Adorama, KEH, etc. In your case, I'd stick with Canon crop sensor for lens interchangeability with what you have now.

Art Mann
04-08-2017, 2:19 PM
If she is trying to sell a property that is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, it deserves a much better set of pictures than you can get with a $300 point and shoot. I suggest she look at a mirrorless interchangeable lens camera like the Sony a6000 series equipped with a wide angle lens. Too wide is bad because it produces the awful distorted images you see on so many MLS postings. It is better to shoot 2 or more frames from 1 location and then combine them into one wider picture with a free utility like Microsoft's "ICE" program. I would also suggest she take a seminar or short course on real estate photography. The lady who is selling our farm house out in the country did a great job and she attributed it to her brief training from a professional.

Brian Elfert
04-08-2017, 3:46 PM
A good agent that sells mid range to high end houses will spend the money for a professional photographer. It doesn't cost all that much. I sold a house with a list price of $345,000 a few years ago and the agent paid for a stager and a photographer.

I looked at hundreds of listings when buying my current house and the photos were all over the map. It is clear some agents were either horrible photographers or just didn't care. I saw a number of listings were the only photograph was a bad picture taken sitting in the car out on the street. In some you could see parts of the car in the frame. I realize that agents don't typically a lot of money selling a foreclosure, but you'll sell it a lot faster if you take the 20 to 30 minutes to take proper photos.

Steve Peterson
04-08-2017, 6:48 PM
Costco usually has good prices on a bundle with interchangeable lenses, starting in the $600 range on up to around $1500. Many of the bundles have a regular and a zoom lens for about the same price as others are asking for just the body and a single lens.

I am quite pleased with my Sony a5500 purchased a few years ago. Most of the offerings now are Canon or Nikon.

Steve

Rick Moyer
04-09-2017, 8:05 AM
A lot of real estate photography is "inside" these days and wide angle is necessary to capture the view from constrained space. A large aperture (f/1.8 or f/2.8) is desirable to be able to deal with the less than ideal lighting. Since photography serves an even increased responsibility in real estate marketing these days since so much of the marketing starts online, getting the best photos possible is pretty much essential. You can combine a relatively inexpensive, albeit newer DSLR body that will support larger storage cards with a decent "real estate worthy" lens for a reasonable sum, especially if you buy used from a reputable source, like B&H Photo, Adorama, KEH, etc. In your case, I'd stick with Canon crop sensor for lens interchangeability with what you have now.
This is the direction I'm leaning.

David Falkner
04-09-2017, 8:51 AM
We bought the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 a few years ago and it's been a great camera. Slightly smaller than a DSLR but with a great Leica lens.

Here's an inside shot I did with it -
http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii494/difalkner/017%20-%20Walnut%20Lazy%20Susan_zpsfcnvwmzy.jpg

And you can check out some video on my YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking (https://www.youtube.com/user/difalkner/feed)

Jim Becker
04-09-2017, 9:53 AM
Costco usually has good prices on a bundle with interchangeable lenses, starting in the $600 range on up to around $1500. Many of the bundles have a regular and a zoom lens for about the same price as others are asking for just the body and a single lens.

The Nikon and Canon kits from Costco and other retailers have more or less the equivalent lenses the OP is using now with his older Rebel. 18mm on a crop sensor is more or less the equivalent of a 24mm view on a full frame or film camera. That's not wide enough for a lot of interior real estate photography. These kit lenses also are not the best in low light situations and you can't really use on-camera flash for this application.

While I agree with Art about distortion, stitching multiple photos isn't the only way to deal with optical distortion from wider lenses and stitching adds it's own unique distortions...LightRoom and Photoshop have some automated lens adjustments that help tremendously with the effect. I use an 16mm-35mm wide zoom on a full frame body (Nikon D750) and have been pretty successful in adjusting for optical distortion in Lightroom on the interior shots I've made.

IMHO, cheap to type by as it may be, for a competitive realtor, it comes down to either hiring a pro or investing in the best tool for the job to do it themselves. And for the higher end properties, the pro photographer who specializes in real estate is the way to go. I have a few online friends who have that as part of or all of their photographic practices.

Rick Moyer
04-09-2017, 12:40 PM
Great points Jim, and once or twice she HAS hired a professional photographer for the RARE higher priced listing, but most homes in our area fall into the <$200k range, many well less than that. This really just comes down to having a serviceable camera that works for her and the office interface.

Art Mann
04-09-2017, 6:20 PM
A 16mm focal length lens on a full frame camera isn't all that wide angle.

Jim Becker
04-09-2017, 8:52 PM
True, Art, but when you head wider than 16mm or so, you start to get into much more noticeable optical distortion and more of a fisheye effect. For RE, it's a reasonable focal length and typically the widest on a non-prime available.

Rick Moyer
05-02-2017, 2:59 PM
Update: I should have updated this thread earlier but anyway, I did find a very good condition 2Ti like Lee mentioned above. She's very happy with it and I am now deciding what prime lens would be the best for interior pictures. All your prior suggestions were appreciated. Thanks again.

andy bessette
05-02-2017, 11:07 PM
...a somewhat wide angle capability is required, but some decent zoom would be nice...
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/canon-powershot-sx530-16-0-megapixel-hs-digital-camera-black/2761156.p?skuId=2761156 ...

This would be an exceedingly poor choice as it has a very tiny sensor and needless/ridiculous zoom range. Choose a camera with much better photo capability, larger sensor, better low light ability and ultra wide angle capability. Ideally a full frame sensor DSLR with very wide angle, low zoom range professional lens. Buy used or refurbished, if necessary, to keep the cost down.

Chris Parks
05-03-2017, 12:33 AM
Buy a card reader and use the Rebel, way cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_11?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=card+reader+usb+3.0&sprefix=card+reader%2Caps%2C388&crid=QSGABVBYWBKR

Rick Moyer
05-03-2017, 6:24 PM
Buy a card reader and use the Rebel, way cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_11?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=card+reader+usb+3.0&sprefix=card+reader%2Caps%2C388&crid=QSGABVBYWBKR
That could have been an option but part of the problem was the office secretary not liking to have to deal with the memory card in the first place!

This would be an exceedingly poor choice as it has a very tiny sensor and needless/ridiculous zoom range. Choose a camera with much better photo capability, larger sensor, better low light ability and ultra wide angle capability. Ideally a full frame sensor DSLR with very wide angle, low zoom range professional lens. Buy used or refurbished, if necessary, to keep the cost down.
Ideally, yes, but well above my stipulated price range. Your suggestion would be wonderful but $5000new/$1800used is a wee bit over budget.:eek:

Chris Parks
05-03-2017, 9:56 PM
I have a Rebel and use a USB cable, the card never gets touched.