PDA

View Full Version : Opinions: Antler Stopper HELP :) UPDATED: Pics

Jeff Sudmeier
10-19-2005, 8:14 AM
Everyone,

I submit to you an antler bottle stopper I turned last night. It is growing on me, but I still don't love it.

LOML says my hunting buddy will love it:

I got the idea from the other Deer Antler Bottle Stopper (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=24900&highlight=antler) thread. In that stopper the turner used a smaller diameter stopper. I think antler stoppers would work much better with the smaller diameter stopper. The reason is, I wasn't able to put much form into this one, because the diameter is so large.

What do you all think? Is it a keeper or should I put it on the wall of shame?

John Miliunas
10-19-2005, 8:25 AM
Jeff, IMHO, turned stoppers, in general, are kind of a specialty item thing for people in the first place. One with deer antler is particularly special to the hunter friends in your life and it's more the whole concept of using that material than the shape. It may not be as big or have ornate profiles on it, but that would detract from what it really is. I think it looks just fine and would be treasured by most any hunting fan and even non-hunters, alike. It's unique and that's the ticket. Nice piece and, were I to keep it myself, it certainly would NOT go on any "shameful" place!:) :cool:

Mark Cothren
10-19-2005, 8:43 AM
I agree with John. I think it looks great and I would love to have something like this (even tho I have no bottles to stop :D ).

Good work, Jeff!

Keith Burns
10-19-2005, 9:56 AM
What John said. Can't add anything to that.

Jeff Sudmeier
10-19-2005, 10:41 AM
Okay guys you have convinced me, it is a keeper!!

Here is a pic to prove it is a keeper, now I just have to decide if I can give it up for a Christmas Gift.

John Miliunas
10-19-2005, 10:43 AM
Okay guys you have convinced me, it is a keeper!!

Here is a pic to prove it is a keeper, now I just have to decide if I can give it up for a Christmas Gift.

Hmmmm...So, should I bring the Coke???:D :cool:

Jeff Sudmeier
10-19-2005, 10:54 AM
Hmmmm...So, should I bring the Coke???:D :cool:

Captain and Pepsi :) Not so much of a Coke fan...

Karl Laustrup
10-19-2005, 11:42 AM
Not so much of a Coke fan...

I knew there was a reason I liked you, even if you are a young whipper snapper. ;) :D

Oh yeah, I like the stopper also. :)

Karl

John Hart
10-19-2005, 11:47 AM
I suggest you toss it Jeff. And I'll catch it and run off with it.:D I think you've captured what it's all about. Nicely rustic, shows off the antler and a good turning.

Btw....I like pepsi better too!

Jeff Sudmeier
10-19-2005, 12:35 PM
I knew there was a reason I liked you, even if you are a young whipper snapper. ;) :D

Karl

If I had a dollar for every time I got called a Young Whipper Snapper I would be rich!! :)

Thanks Karl! (I think).

Ernie Nyvall
10-19-2005, 5:31 PM
Personally, I like the plain antler, but I can do without the coke or pepsi.

Ernie

Jeff Sudmeier
10-20-2005, 8:26 AM
Personally, I like the plain antler, but I can do without the coke or pepsi.

Ernie

Ernie, I Have been known to drink Captain on the rocks from time to time :) ;)

Thanks for the possitive comments!

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
10-21-2005, 10:25 AM
I've been turning stoppers for a while, and the antler ones are fun to experiment with. I think the design on yours is fine, and wouldn't hesitate to offer it as a gift! As to your question on designs ... using the smaller diameter stopper from Woodcraft or Arizona Sillouette make it easier to bring to a tapered base, but the one you're using would be fine, too. I would suggest trying to leave the base the same size, and about a quarter inch up, taper it in, and then come back out to a ball or other design. It's hard to describe, but if you look at mine on the other thread, it tapers in above the base and then goes into the design for the "handle". This would work good for you, too, even eith the larger base. I think your work looks great! Don't let a design question stop you. Keep doing it until you see something that you like. There are a lot of great turners here and as you go back through the threads, you'll find something you like. I don't now if I've helped you at all, but if you have any more questions, feel free to send me a private message and I'll see if I can help.

Ron

Jeff Sudmeier
10-21-2005, 10:48 AM
Ron, thank you very much for the tips! I will have to try that on the next one. As it was, I had enough of a time keeping this one on the stopper chuck :)

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
10-22-2005, 8:19 AM
Ron, thank you very much for the tips! I will have to try that on the next one. As it was, I had enough of a time keeping this one on the stopper chuck :)

Jeff,

I know what you mean, I have quite a few want to come off, too. I always use the tailstock, with a live center, now to turn all stoppers. I only remove it to finish the very last detail on the ends. This makes sure they stay put, and on the antler, especially, this has worked great! It doesn't allow the pressure of the cutting to cause the chuck threads to be stripped, no matter how much pressure you have to apply.

Ron