PDA

View Full Version : Oneway Bed Extension & Tailstock Swinger

Steve Mathews
04-05-2017, 12:22 PM
I'm thinking of purchasing a bed extension and to a lesser extent a tailstock swinger for my Oneway 2436. The bed extensions come in 17", 24" and 60" lengths. I'm thinking it might be easier doing bowls on the backside of the tailstock but can't decide on whether to get the 17" or 24" extension. Frankly, I don't understand what circumstances one would be more desirable than the other. I suppose space limitations come into play but that's not one of my concerns. Any help in deciding which one to get would be appreciated. The tailstock swinger seems like a good idea as the tailstock has gotten in my way a few times.

Steve Mathews
04-05-2017, 1:40 PM
After measuring 24" from the back end of the lathe and imagining working at that distance it may make sense to go with the 17" extension. The reach, at least for short me seemed a bit far to be working on the inside of a bowl.

David Metzman
04-05-2017, 1:53 PM
I think they have two different extensions for outboard. One is mounted further down so you can turn things with a larger diameter than on the inside. I have (inherited) the higher up one but have just started turning and have not used it yet. I was thinking though that if I wanted to turn something outboards with a larger diameter, I do not think I need the bed and I was thinking of just making a free standing tool rest with a pocket of concrete and a pipe although Powermatic sells a freestanding one.

Steve Mathews
04-05-2017, 2:09 PM
I think they have two different extensions for outboard. One is mounted further down so you can turn things with a larger diameter than on the inside. I have (inherited) the higher up one but have just started turning and have not used it yet. I was thinking though that if I wanted to turn something outboards with a larger diameter, I do not think I need the bed and I was thinking of just making a free standing tool rest with a pocket of concrete and a pipe although Powermatic sells a freestanding one.

I didn't mention the large and extra long outboard setup as this seems to be a bit overkill for me at this point.