PDA

View Full Version : Pink Myrtle Hollow Bowl (Rough)

John Hart
10-18-2005, 9:42 PM
Howdy,
I got this bowl roughed out and doused it with a light coat of lacquer to let it dry a little more for a week or so. I figured I better take a picture of it before I destroy it.:rolleyes: It's 7.5" Dia X 4.5" H. If I pull it off, I think it will show off some spectacular colors....I hope.

Andy Hoyt
10-18-2005, 10:35 PM
Oh Man! George E Ush!

What are the chances that this wood is representative of the stuff you're selling to the masses?

John Hart
10-18-2005, 10:41 PM
heh heh...Sorry Andy...not a chance. The blanks I sell are Northeast hardwoods. This blank cost me 30 bucks. I trimmed a little for pen blanks and then there's this here bowl. Sorry!:o

Andy Hoyt
10-18-2005, 10:43 PM
Can't knock a guy for hoping.

Don't worry, I'll still be ordering some of your stuff. Soon.

Carole Valentine
10-19-2005, 12:07 AM
Now John, stop thinking like that! You know you're not going to destroy that beautiful piece of wood! Besides, if you do, I am going to come beat you up side the head with a heavy duty scraper and you don't want me to do that.:D
I hate to say this, but You probably should go ahead and finish it. It looks pretty thin for a "rough out" and if it wasn't dry, I suspect that it is going to move enough that you will have a heck of a time truing it up andfinishing the bottom if you leave it sitting for a week. Maybe it's thicker than it looks!

Michael Stafford
10-19-2005, 5:45 AM
Mighty pretty rough out there, John! Lovely piece of wood. Rough out, eh, I believe I would polish that baby up and call it finished. :D

John Hart
10-19-2005, 7:24 AM
If you're going to beat me to death Carole, use a tool rest or something massive...just for expediency!;) Yeah..it's got a bit more thickness that needs to come out and I'm concerned about the amount of moisture. I figured that I could keep the movement under control by just allowing it to dry from the inside...that's why I coated the outside.
The problem with this wood is that it is such a pleasure to turn, that I got carried away and it almost looks finished. No tear-out and sanding was actually pleasurable....even on the inside.
But...y'all are making me nervous....maybe I better take out that last bit of thickness and finish it tonight and not take any chances.

Thanks all!!

Mark Cothren
10-19-2005, 8:55 AM
Wow John! What a great piece of wood! I also really like your form on this one. Can't wait to see it finished?

By the way, you sand your rough outs????

John Hart
10-19-2005, 9:23 AM
...By the way, you sand your rough outs????

Thanks Mark....Yeah I do. I know that it's a waste of time....even when I'm doing it....sometimes I'll do a full finish, knowing full well that I'll take it off later. I like to see how the figure is moving and I'll alter the shape if I'm not happy with it. Besides....it's like opening a gift early!!:)

Keith Burns
10-19-2005, 9:45 AM
John, thats going to be another winner when you get rid of that big ugly foot !:D

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-19-2005, 10:59 AM
I already like the envisioned sharp and I KNOW that you will do the wood PROUD!

Can't wait to see the finished product.

Bruce

Chris Barton
10-19-2005, 11:09 AM
This is your idea of a roughed out bowl?!?! You make me sick! It looks great John!:)

Ernie Nyvall
10-19-2005, 5:49 PM
That is some nice wood John, but I really need a closer look.:rolleyes:
You did a good job on it too... nice form.

Ernie

John Hart
10-19-2005, 10:50 PM
Thanks everyone!! I did go ahead and start the finish tonight. I'm putting several coats of lacquer on it....probably take a few days. Right now it looks like glass and the figure is really standing out. I'll just cross my fingers. Sorry to make you sick Chris!! If it'll make you feel better, I got rub burns on my hand from sanding the inside and rubbing against the lip!!:eek: Ow!
Keith...the ugly foot is still on there....I kinda like it. I'll decide later.:D