PDA

View Full Version : Oscillating edge sanders

James Hicks
04-04-2017, 11:08 PM
I'm considering buying an edge sander. Looks like Delta and Jet are comparable in price and the few reviews I've read. I've also heard about Baileigh edge sanders. Does anyone have any experience with this sander? Also considering the grizzly, just cost a lot more than some of the others. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Van Huskey
04-04-2017, 11:37 PM
Between the Delta and Jet my choice would be the Jet simply due to the parts availability issues that Delta has had. Search the reviews on the two Grizzly OES that I think you are considering, they are somewhat eye opening. The Baleigh 6100 is a similar machine to the Delta and Jet with 1/5th as long of a warranty. The 8120 is a very interesting sander (similar to European OES) but requires a decent amount of 3 phase power, if you have a 15hp or larger RPC it is an interesting choice for the price. The American made Vega would be my first choice if it is in your budget.

IMO Jet if you are going for the lowest budget, Vega if you step up. I assume there is no point discussing options above the Vega in price. The Jet is a solid little sander while it is far from perfect for the price it is certainly not a bad deal.

eugene thomas
04-04-2017, 11:50 PM
I have the jet . Well the base is in my shop rest of sander is in repair shop waiting on part since december. But when running is great ssnder.

Cary Falk
04-04-2017, 11:58 PM
I have the Jet. My only complaint is the grind on the table. It doesn't hurt anything. I just expected more from Jet at the time. I know better now.

Van Huskey
04-05-2017, 12:17 AM
I have the Jet. My only complaint is the grind on the table. It doesn't hurt anything. I just expected more from Jet at the time. I know better now.

While I absolutely don't disagree, if you consider over $200 has to be built into the price for "free liftgate" shipping to anywhere in the lower 48 and also consider that leaves $800 for the sander which is only 30% more than a top of the line random 6" orbit sander it starts looking like a bargain even if table looks like an epileptic baboon did the work.

Cary Falk
04-05-2017, 12:42 AM
While I absolutely don't disagree, if you consider over $200 has to be built into the price for "free liftgate" shipping to anywhere in the lower 48 and also consider that leaves $800 for the sander which is only 30% more than a top of the line random 6" orbit sander it starts looking like a bargain even if table looks like an epileptic baboon did the work.

Everything that I have ever bought from grizzly has had a table that was ground 5000 times better than what's on the Jet. I'm not saying it wasn't a bargain. Everybody just assumes that you will get better fit and finish from Jet.

Tim Bueler
04-05-2017, 10:33 AM
I just got the Jet OES-80 on their annual sale. $918 delivered right to my door in the middle of no where. It was what I would expect for the price (as Van said). The table grind isn't pristine nor perfectly flat (A few thousandths twist in the table) but I didn't expect it to be. I read many posts/reviews about it before I bought so no surprises. It works for what I need which is edge sanding cabinet doors/drawer fronts. For that it is more than accurate enough and a pleasure to use.

glenn bradley
04-05-2017, 10:38 AM
I also have the Jet but, it was not my first choice; it was on sale and I went for it. The belt moves too fast for my taste although you can learn to work around that. Dust collection is decent. Table elevation and tilt are very crude but, again, workable with some effort. Fit and finish are sub-Grizzly but, the thing is pretty inexpensive as far as those tools go. It is not destined for the road anytime soon but, in hindsight I would have been glad to pony up double the price for a better machine. If you want to get in cheap, it is a good bet if a bit unrefined. As it is I will probably drive it to the tomb and then reassess.

Rick Fisher
04-05-2017, 3:21 PM
I used to have a Steel City .. it was an irritating sander. the table wouldn't stay 90 degrees to the belt. Edge Sanders are awesome tools, once you have one, you will use it way more than you think ..

James Hicks
04-05-2017, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'm still on the fence. I have several Grizzzly machines and have been very pleased with them. It's just a little hard to spend almost twice the amount for the Grizzly vs. the Jet or Delta. I would just be for personal use so spending 1800.00 is hard to justify. Hope they will put the Jet in sale sometime soon.

David Kumm
04-05-2017, 11:26 PM
Whatever you get, make sure both the table and platen are straight and don't deflect under pressure. I weak or twisted platen is a deal breaker. Dave

Warren Lake
04-06-2017, 12:17 AM
thread says Oscillating edge sanders are we talking about them or edge sanders? got a progress machine table not square to the belt but not too much off, will modify it to be adjustable at some point. Machine I bought had been relpaced by a new itialian oscillating machine. I never should have tried that one. Mine works well enough but that other machine was much nicer and belt life would be longer. You can angle your table or move your piece up and down I know but the belt moving up and down while you work is very nice addition to an edge sander

Kelby Van Patten
04-06-2017, 2:06 AM
I have the Laguna 6|89, which looks identical to the Jet. I've only used it a bit, but it's been great so far.

Alex Snyder
04-06-2017, 6:54 AM
Just got the call that my Jet came in yesterday at my local dealership. I took advantage of the last flash sale and like to buy brands my dealer carries. But in the edge sander area (especially oscillating) there aren't a whole lot of choices for the hobbyist.

If you're looking for another Jet sale, I would guess something around Father's Day will come up. At least that's when Powermatic does one of their annual sales.

Mike Hollingsworth
04-06-2017, 12:19 PM
The Baleigh looks like the same machine as Grizzly. I'd stick with the Green. I've had both oscillating and without. Not much difference in this type machine. I am lucky to have gotten a General International Oscillator before their demise. I think they were a step up with their Asian machines.
The buzz here is that tables aren't 90 sometimes. I'd want to deal directly with manufacturer on this one. Again Green. my $.02

Larry Edgerton
04-06-2017, 1:05 PM
The Baleigh looks like the same machine as Grizzly. I'd stick with the Green. I've had both oscillating and without. Not much difference in this type machine. I am lucky to have gotten a General International Oscillator before their demise. I think they were a step up with their Asian machines.
The buzz here is that tables aren't 90 sometimes. I'd want to deal directly with manufacturer on this one. Again Green. my $.02

My brother has several Baleigh machines in his fab shop[Metal] and the machines were well worth the price and support has been good. I am actually considering one of their OSC,s if I do not fine an old iron machine soon. And Grizzly is not the manufacturer, they are an importer just like Baleigh.

Darcy Warner
04-06-2017, 1:07 PM
Find an Oakley H6. Or even a newton.

Personally there is none better then the EC 112.

David Kumm
04-06-2017, 1:24 PM

H6-48. Dave

Dave Cav
04-06-2017, 3:03 PM
Even an old Acme (or other) non-oscillating machine will work fine. Just angle the table. Much cheaper, lighter, easy to operate.

Larry Copas
04-07-2017, 11:12 PM
You couldn't give me two Delta's, three Jet's and a dozen Grizzly's for this one.

And of course, used it was less than half of the imports. It will be sanding when I'm long gone.

Kevin Jenness
04-08-2017, 7:14 AM
Like Warren, I bought an old Progress (non-oscillating) edge sander from a shop that replaced it with a new Powermatic OES. That machine is really nice, but well beyond my budget. I put a variable frequency drive on mine which made it much more controllable and extends belt life. Most edge sanders run fast enough to require a very light touch. If you can find a bargain on a used 3 phase unit and add a vfd it can be a good alternative.

Scott T Smith
04-08-2017, 11:33 AM
I've had a G0564 Grizzly sander for about 8 years, and before that had a G0512.

The 0564 is an excellent machine - no complaints whatsoever. The 0512 was a little light duty for my use.

Scott Brandstetter
04-08-2017, 8:43 PM
another suggestion is you could build your own with little money and a little time. I love mine and can't imagine what else I could need beyond it.

Mike Heidrick
04-08-2017, 10:19 PM
Love my Vega OES. For new under $2000 its tough to beat. Made 42 miles from where I am sitting right now. The ground I-beam construction is awesome.

Jon Flynn
11-13-2018, 4:22 PM
I too am shopping for a good edge sander. Here is my take on them. I have some other Delta machines which I actually like but parts support is terrible so their out. I like the Jet OES-80CS, the Leguna Platinum series or another one that I found looks close to the Jet is a North State. All are Oscillating and the belt sizes are the same. The Jet HP is 1.5, the North State is 2.0 HP and the Leguna is 3.0 HP.

Mike King
11-13-2018, 4:38 PM
I was looking for an OES and considered the Laguna but the Laguna rep told me they were out of stock until January.

ChrisA Edwards
11-13-2018, 5:52 PM
I have the Jet OES-80, runs off 110v, I've sanded Hard Maple, Purpleheart, Walnut, I've never logged the motor down yet.

Very happy with the machine.

glenn bradley
11-13-2018, 6:12 PM
Just in case it helps anyone. I was worried about the power on my Jet OES-80 as well but, it has been fine. I have never bogged it down.