PDA

View Full Version : LV free shipping giving me ideas!

Tony Wilkins
04-04-2017, 4:04 PM
Well, that and a birthday coming up. Do I need any more tools? Probably not but...

Here is a few ideas:

Custom #5 1/2 to use as a Charlesworth style super smoother
DX60 to pair with my LN #102
SBUS (more versatile than a DX60?)
Small shoulder plane (have medium)

There are a couple of LN tools I've been eyeing-- a #49 T&G to do the back of my ADB bookcase etc. or a rabbeting block plane.

Rob Luter
04-04-2017, 7:26 PM
I use the free shipping events to buy smaller items that would normally be made much more expensive due to minimum shipping costs. Last time it was a cabinetmakers mallet.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/images/item/woodworking/chisels/05e1501s1.jpg

Gary Cunningham
04-04-2017, 8:59 PM
I bought the medium shoulder plane, and a 3/8 pmv11 mortise chisel. :)

4 days before they offered free shipping. :(

Malcolm Schweizer
04-04-2017, 9:17 PM
I'm with Rob- I use it for stuff that otherwise would not be worth the shipping, or large items that the shipping would otherwise kill me on. I got a router bit and some more Pica pencils and lead. I love the white lead for marking mahogany. I have a habit of losing the pencils, and then finding the, the day after ordering another. Today I found one on my nightstand. Never fails.

I had a little surprise as well- it seems I had put the winding sticks in my basket a couple of weeks ago, but said "naaaah- that's a waste of $30 for something I can make out of scrap." Well, it seems they were still in my cart. I did not notice until I had already checked out. The thought of an aluminum winding stick that doesn't move much, and that nests for storage, did intrigue me, but I think they are frivolous and admittedly a little silly. Well- now it seems I am getting a set. Life is like that sometimes. I shan't complain.

Jerry Olexa
04-04-2017, 10:00 PM
When is free shipping period? Thnk you,

Phil Mueller
04-04-2017, 11:27 PM
It's April 4-18.

Hilton Ralphs
04-05-2017, 6:33 AM
I bought the medium shoulder plane, and a 3/8 pmv11 mortise chisel. :)

4 days before they offered free shipping. :(

Noob ;)

You only make that mistake once.

The 11-pc. Screw Extractor (http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=71703&cat=51&ap=1) Set looks interesting but I already have two sets of something similar.

The Lee Valley Hex Key Handles (http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=75480&cat=51&ap=1) look like something that would be useful if hadn't already replaced my bog standard hex keys with decent colour coded Wera beauties.

What I am interested in is the 10-Screwdriver Gripper (http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=75478&cat=51&ap=1). This looks exactly the same as the Tekton that Amazon sells for nearly twice the price. I like the fact that at the bottom there are holding capabilities for the shorties.

Jerry Olexa
04-05-2017, 8:15 AM
Thanks Phil...

It's April 4-18.

Malcolm Schweizer
04-05-2017, 11:02 AM
I got a router bit and some more Pica pencils and lead. I love the white lead for marking mahogany. I have a habit of losing the pencils, and then finding them the day after ordering another. Today I found one on my nightstand. Never fails.

True story- today I found my other two Pica pencils. Oh well- one for each color. I wish they made these in different colors so I know which one is loaded with which lead. The sharpener/holster, ease of advancing lead, and interchangeable colors of lead is why I like these so much. They are a bit on the pricey side, but they last- assuming I don't lose them.

Gary Cunningham
04-05-2017, 8:32 PM
Noob ;)

You only make that mistake once.

What I am interested in is the 10-Screwdriver Gripper (http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=75478&cat=51&ap=1). This looks exactly the same as the Tekton that Amazon sells for nearly twice the price. I like the fact that at the bottom there are holding capabilities for the shorties.

The wife was after me to buy sonething for my b-day. I kept telling her I was waiting for the free shipping deal.
:cool:

Hilton Ralphs
04-06-2017, 1:57 AM
The wife was after me to buy sonething for my b-day. I kept telling her I was waiting for the free shipping deal.
:cool:

Happy birthday then!

Next time just buy a gift card, no shipping and you get to use it for those free shipping events.

Scott Archi
04-06-2017, 9:27 AM
I have been enjoying the low angle jack plane so much I purchased a bevel up smoother, bevel up jointer to complete my set of bevel up planes, and medium router plane with 1/2" blade.

Due to the weight of the jointer and smoother I can only imagine what shipping might have cost.

Oh well I've got some work to do now :)

Jerry Olexa
04-06-2017, 10:52 AM
I'll order a green polishing stick in addition to other items.....

Hilton Ralphs
04-07-2017, 6:05 AM
I have been enjoying the low angle jack plane so much I purchased a bevel up smoother, bevel up jointer to complete my set of bevel up planes, and medium router plane with 1/2" blade.

Due to the weight of the jointer and smoother I can only imagine what shipping might have cost.

Oh well I've got some work to do now :)

Lee Valley only charges extra shipping costs when the weight is excessive. I've never been charged extra and I've bought the heaviest, the shooting plane.