PDA

View Full Version : Any good places to get old plane irons?

Joe Kasier
04-04-2017, 12:49 AM
Specifically, a rebate plane iron. (I want to make my own.) eBay is turning up nothing worth paying for. Especially since the starting bids are $15 with $20 shipping. That is just the iron; not the plane.

Jim Koepke
04-04-2017, 2:33 AM
You could try Hock, Lee Valley or Lie Nielsen for some quality blades but they will not be cheap.

The problem with buying used or NOS blades is folks need them for their planes. There are not as many of them around as there are blades for regular bench planes.

You might do better with a bench plane blade and grind it down to a rebate blade profile.

How wide of a blade did you want for your plane?

jtk

Joe Kasier
04-04-2017, 4:04 AM
3/4" would be ideal. I could make do with 1/2 or 5/9

Tony Zaffuto
04-04-2017, 6:01 AM
You can get whatever you need, but the question remains how much are you willing to pay? If you want to make your own, go to MSC, and pick whatever type Tool Steel you want and practically whatever size you want and have at it. Better think through your heat treat process first and tailor choice to that. If you have a lot of irons to make,search out a local HT source and have them done commercially. If you only want a single iron, you're better off calling Ron Hock, as that cost will be far less than the combined other costs of making your own.

Frederick Skelly
04-04-2017, 6:25 AM
I dont know if this helps, but remember the LN sells blanks for molding planes in a variety of sizes. Could you adapt one to your needs? The 3/4" is $21.

Kees Heiden
04-04-2017, 6:53 AM
Or buy an old, worn out, wooden rebate plane and reuse the blade.

John C Cox
04-04-2017, 11:10 AM
Check local thrift stores and "antique" malls. They are often full up with various flavors of old junk planes that you can sacrifice for the greater good.

Another option. Buy a $4.00 Buck Brothers 2" plane iron at your local BORG... Use your dremel cutting wheel to cut out whatever shape you need. Go slow with good cutting wheels and you can usually get it without drawing the temper. Grind off any areas you overheated when you clean up the width and be on your way.

lowell holmes
04-04-2017, 11:16 AM
You can buy new plane irons at the BORG and Lowes. I know that you want cheap, but cheap and accessible don't often go together. The new irons are not expensive.

Bob Glenn
04-04-2017, 11:27 AM
I have a couple I bought off the bay. PM me if interested. I think one is 3/4 and the other slightly larger. Both are skewed and tapered. Bob

Jim Koepke
04-04-2017, 11:53 AM
There are a few > stanley 45 blade < listed on eBay. One 3/4" hollow, item 182482978964, is listed at $12 with $3.39 shipping from Maryland.

That could be reground for a rebate blade.

Bob's blades might be better since they are skewed they would work better across grain.

jtk

Joe Kasier
04-04-2017, 12:55 PM
Thanks for all the tips! For some reason it never crossed my mind to grind a blade of another type down :p

Tony Wilkins
04-04-2017, 4:33 PM
I've been curious about the Ray Iles carbon steel replacement blades. Not super cheap but not nearly as much as other modern makers either.

Jim Koepke
04-04-2017, 8:51 PM
Oops!!!

You might also want to look here:

http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/raplcu.html

It seemed interesting that there were what appears to be side rabbet replacement blades on the site.

Checked them out and they are "out of stock" and discontinued.

Not long ago Stanley parts was an amazing asset for folks who needed parts to keep an old tool in service.

jtk

Bob Glenn
04-05-2017, 9:48 AM
Joe, sent me your address and I'll mail you the blades. If you can use them, just send me what you think they're worth. Bob

Joe Kasier
04-05-2017, 11:58 AM
Joe, sent me your address and I'll mail you the blades. If you can use them, just send me what you think they're worth. Bob

Thanks, but I have one now!