PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
04-03-2017, 10:17 AM
03 Apr 2017

Good Morning Everyone,
The LOML and I are doing some upholstery work for a friend and I'm doing a bit of chair repair in the shop before the new material gets applied to the chair. I have several projects I need to get done but my time is very limited with the day job work leaving me little time to hit the shop. Now with spring being here and it's time for yard work, garden work, and taking care of the MIL and my mother. I struggle now days to find the time to do the things I need to do as well as the energy and motivation to make it all happen. I'm just struggling.

The LOML is sick and I'm doing full time house work, laundry, food prep, dishes, and more. I'm just exhausted to put it plainly. Enough of my complaining. :)

I'm still learning how to cook and I am doing my best to push myself out to the shop when I'm already tired.
That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Vince Rosypal
04-03-2017, 10:50 AM
Finally finished the steamer trunk tray for my mother in law.... Learned a few new things along the way on that project..... mostly what not to do. Tried tung oils and antique wax for the first time..... I like it. It was a fun project so trials and tribulations. I am pretty happy with how it turned out but if she says anything about painting it there WILL be a death in the family

Primed the nearfield sub with oil based sealer.... going to try a different kind of "wrap" on the sub.... hope it goes well

Spent a lot of time thinking/scheming about a workbench... I am still trying to figure out my work flow/patterns in the shop
Think I might be trying to incorporate to many things into the bench.

Also trying to figure out the best (for my space) mobile rack for sheet goods.... I have a separate thread for this

Lots of thinking and not as much doing as I would have liked

Dick Brown
04-03-2017, 11:57 AM
Dennis,
Sorry your wife is on the sick list. Mine is just getting back on her feet from a very nasty cold. After 64 years of spoiling me, really miss her when she is under the weather!
For the weekend projects, working on two table saws. Putting arbor bearings in a Craftsman contractor. Thought it was ready to sell after cleaning the top, painting the stand and saw body, lubing the working parts, waxing, etc. Bearings felt great so left them alone. Started it up and has a noise which sounds like bearings so out they come. still feel good but maybe it is the side load making them sound off. More fun was painting the old DeWalt 140 cabinet saw. Hammered black for the cast iron base, hammered grey for the sheet metal cabinet. Motor, front upper panel and upper right side panel black also. Turned new purple heart handles for the hand wheels, polished the outside of the wheels, painted the centers black. Waiting to get the arbor back so can get the top back on. It was 3/4 and had it turned to 5/8 and rethreaded. Look on OWWM if you are not familiar with a DW 140.
Dick

Jay Larson
04-03-2017, 12:49 PM
It was finally a nice, read not windy, day on Saturday. So it was a cleaning day. Since the lawn isn't in yet, I started a fire in front of the outbuilding and proceeded to get rid of four boxes of scraps. And then I started moving things around and gave the shop a good sweeping.
Got tired of struggling to get the table saw blades off of the screws in the wall, I decided to make a small cabinet to hold them. Dug out a couple of 1x8's from the stack that I had leftover from something. They were from the borg, so I did a little flattening and then threw them in the planer a couple of times to get them to 5/8". Put a shelf in the middle. I put 6-7 grooves at a 60* angle in both the top and the shelf. That way I had a little shelf for the wrenches and allen wrenches and other odds and ends. Grabbed a piece of 1/4" plywood from the, now organized, bin. Cut it to size for the back and installed. Then I grabbed another piece of pine to make a hanger, and hung it up.
Couple of things that I learned from this project. When I was putting in the hanger, I used a shooting board to make it a hair shorter to fit. It was unreal how easy it was to get a perfect fit. That, and before I hung it up, I grabbed my #3 plane set to a fine shaving and gave the case a once over. Sure did give it a nice surface. For now I did not put any finish on it.
Yesterday it was kind of a drab day so after cleaning the shop I figured I better clean the house. Then I did some 'testing' on my arcade cabinet... ;)

Jim Becker
04-03-2017, 5:06 PM
This and that weekend for me...final assembly on Saturday of a replacement wall cabinet for our kitchen to take the place of one partially eaten by some small wood-munching creature that are about to meet their maker. :) Primed the unit on Sunday morning and got the first coat of paint on it in the afternoon after spending most of the afternoon helping Professor Dr. SWMBO clean up around the patio and pond including (finally) laying down the red crushed stone "mulch" throughout that area...one of the last remaining garden areas that needed it done. (No more organic mulch that rots away for me!)

John K Jordan
04-03-2017, 5:55 PM
Last couple of days: Dug holes with backhoe and planted more fruit trees, two more pear, a couple more plum, a couple of fig, plus a few more blueberry bushes. Chainsawed some trees. Strained the old back. Assembled new beehive frames. Caught a swarm and set up a new hive. Got stung. Moved 42 guinea eggs into an incubator. Dug up some trees and stumps. Hauled 6 loads of branches/brush to a burn pile. Rode herd on 50 little kids. Caught a turkey. Chased a racoon away from the hen house. Doctored a cut on a peacock foot. Read a book. Practiced some Liszt and Chopin. Drew illustrations for a woodturning demo. Cut up a bunch of green wood. Cleaned up the shop.

Same old, same old. Every day is a weekend when you're retired.

JKJ

Patrick Lesher
04-03-2017, 6:01 PM
After multiple delays with the Laguna I bit the bullet and bought the PM1500.
Picked it up Friday, ran new power, and got it set up by Sunday.
WAY different machine than my old 14" Grizzly.

Bruce Page
04-03-2017, 7:33 PM
WAY different machine than my old 14" Grizzly.

Fun weekend!
Congrats!

Wayne Lomman
04-04-2017, 5:58 AM
Finally got some paint on laundry cabinets for friends who have been waiting very patiently. Great autumn weather so sprayed outside to the delight of about 5 billion bugs. Ended up applying a second coat Sunday and will let it harden up then polish out the legs and wings. Primer was Interseal 670HS and the top coat Wattyl Poly-U-750. Had them left over from an industrial job. Installation next weekend. Cheers

Chris Hachet
04-04-2017, 8:12 AM
WAY different machine than my old 14" Grizzly.That was my weekend accomplishment as well, but in a different sort of way. Moved a Powermatic 87 from out of state into my workshop with the generous assistance of another woodworker.

Congrats on your new saw, I really love both Powermatic's earlier stuff and their new stuff.

Fred Falgiano
04-04-2017, 8:32 AM
First American flag project. Also first time carving with the dremel.

The stripes are maple, the union is hickory.

This is a gift for a friend's retirement from the Air Force.

Jim Becker
04-04-2017, 10:00 AM
So John...what did you do in your SPARE time? :D :D :D

Chris Hachet
04-04-2017, 10:18 AM
First American flag project. Also first time carving with the dremel.

The stripes are maple, the union is hickory.

This is a gift for a friend's retirement from the Air Force.
357590Awesome gift for his service!

Adam Merritt
04-04-2017, 11:31 AM
I bought this jointer used about a year ago, and finally decided to clean it up. I still need to cleanup the paint/stain/whatever that was spilled on the cover (and dripped down), but I think it cleaned nicely otherwise. I used some Boeshield Rust Free to remove the little bits of surface rust, then ran a random orbital sander with some 320 grit sandpaper and WD40 over the entire length, before finishing up with some Johnson's paste wax. Other than a few "stains", I'd say it looks pretty good. If you have any advice for removing them, let me know, otherwise I'm happy the way it is. Before and after pictures below

John K Jordan
04-04-2017, 2:01 PM
So John...what did you do in your SPARE time? :D :D :D

Ha! I remember eating snacks while reading forum posts.

JKJ