PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Bowl

Michael Stafford
10-18-2005, 7:51 PM
This is a piece of Jim Ketron's cherry stash that he gave me at Dick Parr's picnic. This is wood Jim had before he deforested western Virginia....:p

Jim had previously posted a picture of a bowl made from this wood and it showed heavy mineral staining. This bowl also shows some but is much lighter in color and does not have any of the brownish red tones we associate with cherry.

This bowl is 8 1/4" diameter and 2 3/4" tall. Thanks Jimbo....:D

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-18-2005, 8:09 PM
You did JIM's WOOD PROUD!

Good Lookin'

Bruce

Jim Ketron
10-18-2005, 9:00 PM
Nice Job Big Mike! Love the finish as always!
Glad you liked the wood Bud!

John Hart
10-18-2005, 9:31 PM
Very pretty Mike. You've captured a shape that I'm very fond of. The wood has good character as well.

Travis Stinson
10-18-2005, 9:46 PM
That's one sweet looking bowl Mike! Shape, finish and color all make it very inviting.:)

Carole Valentine
10-19-2005, 12:20 AM
I like that form, Michael. Good job! Is that Wild Black Cherry or orchard cherry? Doesn't look like our normal wild cherry. Maybe Jim's run out of forests so he is now rustling trees from the local orchards?:D

Michael Stafford
10-19-2005, 5:42 AM
Is that Wild Black Cherry or orchard cherry? Doesn't look like our normal wild cherry. Maybe Jim's run out of forests so he is now rustling trees from the local orchards?:D

Gee, Carole, I don't know. It was the best kind of cherry for me- FREE!:D

Thanks for the feedback friends!

Jeff Sudmeier
10-19-2005, 7:50 AM
Mike,

That sure does look great! I love cherry and that bowl will look better and better as it ages :)

Mark Cothren
10-19-2005, 8:47 AM
Good'un there, Big Mike! Cherry is turning into oen of my favorite woods to turn. You have a nice one here, for sure! Great piece of wood from Jim "Timberrrrrrrrrrr!" Ketron.

Thanks for the picture!

Glenn Hodges
10-19-2005, 9:11 AM
When asked Mike you can call it fortunae foundus cherraa, and probably get more for it. Anyway it is lovely wood, and as with red wine it will get better with age.

Keith Burns
10-19-2005, 9:50 AM
As always this is another great looking bowl. Great form and finish. I wouldn't tell anyone the wood was free, I'd tell them you spent hours getting it from the forest. That way you can get more money for it.:D

Dick Parr
10-19-2005, 4:38 PM
Great job Mike, have to love that cherry wood. I got me a little of that stash when Jim was here also. Hope mine turns out half as good as yours is.

Very nice Mike;)

Jim Ketron
10-19-2005, 4:49 PM
Yep its good ol Wild Black Cherry from southwest Va.

Ernie Nyvall
10-19-2005, 5:34 PM
I like the bowl Mike. Looks like you got the grain dead center. Real nice.

Ernie

Joe Tonich
10-19-2005, 6:29 PM
Good job on that there bowl, Sir. :D

Deb saw it and now ya gotta make another one. ;) :p

Beautiful!!

Joe

Robert Watsek
10-21-2005, 12:02 PM
Very nice form and a beautiful finish Big Mike! ................It really shows the grain. Cherry is always pleasing and you capture it well.:cool:

Another great job as always.:)

Bob