PDA

View Full Version : How to complete this hollowing system?

Steve Mathews
04-02-2017, 9:40 PM
I posted this before but again here is a pic of a piece of equipment that came with my lathe. It has a sticker on it with the name Al Basham. As others stated before this was once commercially offered. I have not been able to find much information on it other than it being mentioned in a few articles, forum posts, etc. Based on other hollowing systems shown in videos it appears that what is missing is the rod that has the cutter on one end and the handle/stabilizer on the other. I imagine that a standard tool rest is used to steady the business end of the rod. Does anyone have a picture of a complete Al Basham setup? Any ideas on how to complete the system? And probably most important, is it worth the effort?

Dwight Rutherford
04-02-2017, 11:07 PM
Google "Lyle Jamieson woodturner" there are pictures of his system on the website. This appears to to be a copy of his system.

Roger Chandler
04-03-2017, 6:49 AM
Lyle's hollowing system looks very similar. I am sure he would sell a "D" handle that would work in that capture aparatus. You will need to use your tool rest, and need cutter bits which he sells. Send him this pic by email, and he can likely recommend a solution for you.

Steve Mathews
04-03-2017, 9:58 AM
Thanks Dwight and Roger! Parts from Lyle's system might work. I'll send him a pic of my Al Basham part and see if something can be worked out.

Steve Schlumpf
04-03-2017, 10:31 AM
Steve - chances are you are better off buying a complete system than trying to piece meal one. The stand you have is designed for a specific sized boring bar (5/8", 3/4", 1") and you may or may not be able to adjust for any differences from other manufacturers. The stand also looks like it is fairly rusted. You can get rid of the rust but any pitting will prevent the bar from moving smoothly.

Steve Mathews
04-03-2017, 10:59 AM
Good point Steve. There seems to be a lot of choices available for a hollowing system. Any alternative suggestions?

Dwight Rutherford
04-03-2017, 11:28 AM
If you have a welding unit or have access to one, it is fairly easy to make the D handle. You can buy the boring bars separately. If you choose to go DIY, I can give you the measurements from mine.

Steve Nix
04-03-2017, 6:46 PM
Take a look at Trend Bosch's system. Simple and easy to use. IMO

Brice Rogers
04-03-2017, 7:41 PM
Hi Steve,

Looking at your picture, I see a spacer on each side and what appears to be a Ny-loc nut. That would suggest that if you loosened the nut that you could change to spacer. So, it should be possible to buy a replacement D handle (as another person suggested) and adjust the spacing to fit it. If you are handy with metal/welding or have a friend who can do that, it should be easy to make your own D handle. After all, it is just an outrigger intended to keep the cutting tool from rotating.

As far as rust, it looks pretty superficial. Try taking some fine sandpaper or steel wool to it. It should shine up nicely. I find adding oil while doing it keeps the dust down (but turns your hands black). I don't know about your interest level in this project or your skill level though. If you are a person who likes to turn but hates to do non-wood turning things, then perhaps buy a shiny new hollowing system.

Steve Mathews
04-03-2017, 9:22 PM
Thanks again everyone. I had no idea there were so many hollowing systems out there when it first caught my attention. After noodlin' which direction to take I decided to take advantage of what I already have, not to necessarily save money but for the challenge of making what else is needed. I'll probably make the D handle in 2 parts and put it together in a similar way the Al Basham backrest is put together, 2 L-shaped sections - notched and bolted together.

Dwight - I would really appreciate the dimensions you offered.

The Trent Bosch hollowing system is really interesting with its degrees of movement determined by the number of bar links. That would be another good one to make. I had an idea of my own this afternoon over a hot fudge sundae that I might also pursue unless I discover someone else with the same idea.

Dwight Rutherford
04-03-2017, 11:12 PM
Steve, PM sent

Don Bunce
04-04-2017, 5:44 AM
You might want to check out the boring bars made by Steve Sinner (Advanced Lathe Tools)