PDA

View Full Version : Bowling

Eugene Dixon
04-02-2017, 8:50 PM
A couple of recent completes. Either that or I got tired of adding wipe on poly or I've to put stuff away before the grands show up next weekend

Sweet gum and spalted oak. both are about 9"dia., major dia.

New at this but C&C welcomed.

Steve Schlumpf
04-02-2017, 10:51 PM
Eugene - I think you did pretty good on both of these bowls! Seeing as how you are new to this - I would suggest adding more of a curve to the sides of your bowls (more like the first bowl). Best advice to give is to keep on turning - and ask questions, lots of questions! Looking forward to seeing your next bowls!

Allan Ferguson
04-02-2017, 11:01 PM
The first bowl looks very good, great finish. A profile photo would be good to see. You appear to be off to a good start.

Eugene Dixon
04-03-2017, 12:25 PM
Thanks Steve,
I've notice the trend is to sweeping bowls. Seems like my tendency is a little "squarer". I try to let the wood talk to me and take out material accordingly. I will work on more of a flared bowl design.

Steve Schlumpf
04-03-2017, 12:49 PM
Eugene, you are following in the very same footsteps as most of us in that our first bowls were what we now term Dog Dishes - steep sides and not very appealing aesthetically as far as form. Also, when starting out we tend to try follow what we see in the wood as far as grain but do so at the cost of a pleasing form. If you really want to progress rapidly, work on form. Once you can turn pleasing forms, then focus on highlighting special wood features within those same forms; curl, feather, etc. So, without getting into a bunch of history lessons, what are pleasing forms? Look through what this site has to offer in the galleries and check out the work of other turners. Find a style that appeals to you and practice, practice, practice.