PDA

View Full Version : Freud Quadracut Router Bit - another happy user

Frederick Skelly
04-02-2017, 3:22 PM
More in the continuing saga of my mom's butcher block workstation...

The laminated maple top came out at a smidge under 3 1/2" thick. It's a beauty. Mom wanted a 1/2" roundover all the way around, on both sides, much like the John Boos company does. But I DIDN'T want alot of burning or end grain tearout.

So I searched the archives and found several threads recommending Freud Quadracuts. One thread contained a few detailed comments from our friend Bill Huber stating that, contrary to what it looks like, the 4 cutters work at any depth - they're not just good for deep cuts. That convinced me to buy one.

Folks, what I've read about them here and elsewhere is true. Admittedly, I worked conservatively - this IS maple after all. So I made multiple passes, increasing the depth of cut by about 1/8" each time. I finished at 1/2" deep. But I got NO tearout or burning on ANY of the passes. None. All I need to do is smooth a few ripples (that were my own fault) and the roundovers are done. No muss. No fuss.

I bought the bit for about $29, which seems to be about the going price. For me, this bit proved to be well worth the money.

Bill - many thanks Sir!

Fred

Lee Schierer
04-02-2017, 4:29 PM
I've used the one I have on maple, red oak and cherry so far with no burning whatsoever and far less tear out than a two wing bit. I will select the quad cut over conventional on any future purchases.

Larry Frank
04-02-2017, 7:09 PM
You can add me to the happy users. I get almost no tear out.

Jim Becker
04-02-2017, 7:22 PM
I have a few four-"wing" router cutters and agree that the end results are very nice. Theoretically, they should last a little longer, too, because of the work being shared over additional cutting surfaces.