PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have Sawstop PCS 1.75 with 30" fence?

Roger Marty
04-02-2017, 12:38 PM
Does anyone have the 30" premium fence on a SawStop PCS? Overwhelming majority of Google searches recommends the 36" T-square fence though one person on this forum claims it is just fine. Looking for a couple more data points.

I have a small shop and want to go as compact as possible. Yes, understand that I can chop the 36" rails down to 30". But at $2300 (with a free mobile base), I'm really just tempted to order the SawStop PCS 1.75 w/ 30" fence and be done with it. If I ever move into a larger shop, I can spend $400 and upgrade the fence. Unless I'm just being foolish by not spending $200 for the 36" T-Square (and cutting down if necessary).

Ben Rivel
04-02-2017, 1:04 PM
If 6" really is going to make the difference between fitting and not, I guess you have no choice. But after playing with the premium fence a couple times in a store Im glad I went with the T-Glide! Also consider since the 36" is a Biesemeyer style fence it is compatible with more accessories out there.

Roger Marty
04-02-2017, 7:12 PM
My basement shop area is about 12x15 feet.

Adam Merritt
04-02-2017, 7:41 PM
I can't comment much on the fence, as I never attached mine, but I just bought a PCS 3HP with the 30'' fence (PCS31230-PFA30) on 3/1 (waited nearly 2 months for the dang promo to start as it has the last several years). I ordered the base fence as I had an Incra TS/LS joinery package, so anything paid on the fence was a waste to me. The quality seems nice, but the t-glide in the stores seemed nicer. I did, however, want to share my thoughts on the base. I was planning on the PCS mobile base until I went into my local Rockler and actually tried out both the PCS and ICS bases. The Industrial base is so much easier to move around in tight spots. That may or may not matter as much to you, but I'm limited on space as well, so being able to roll it directly in any direction without having to turn/steer with the two fixed wheels ended up being worth the extra money to me. I used the promo for the over-arm dust collector (however, if you buy the 1.75HP, then you would need to upgrade the blade guard to use it, so that adds to the price as well). Anyways, I've only had my saw a few weeks, but I am thrilled with the quality. I was able to adjust the blade to approximately .0005 parallel to the miter slot. The tilt axis was still spot on when rotated from 90 to 45 degrees. No matter what, you'll be getting a great tool that should last you ages.

Frank Pratt
04-02-2017, 8:50 PM
The premium fence had way more flex than the t-glide. For me, it is not a viable fence on a saw of that quality. If you're going to cheap out on the fence, you might just as well get the job site saw & save a bunch.

scott spencer
04-03-2017, 6:59 AM
The upgrade isn't just about capacity, it's about build quality, rigidity, precision, longevity, and value IMO. The "Premium" fence isn't really on par with the T-Glide fence or other fences on saws retailing for $2300. Every aspect I can think of on the Premium fence is "lesser" than the T-Glide, except for the handle. The T-square head is no where near as rugged, the rail tube is smaller and lighter duty, and I suspect all of the materials of construction are less robust.

If you're going to buy a saw in that price range, it just seems logical to a get a good fence for it....otherwise you're really just paying a lot for the safety brake, and not maximizing the capability of the saw. Not only does the Premium fence have more flex, but it's design will likely lead to increased flexing with age. The T-Glide is welded steel and should be just as rigid 25 years from now as it is today, not necessarily so with the bolted Premium fence.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/vs-lumberjocks.com/niy6w5l.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/DoTrrqMvUKU/hqdefault.jpg