PDA

View Full Version : Lumenos - Insurance?

Dennis Peacock
10-18-2005, 6:19 PM
Ok...who all is getting shafted by their company switching to this so called "stuff" called Lumenos for medical insurance? Is anybody out there experiencing the same corporate "shift" in savings for medical insurance costs for the associates/employee's?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Cecil Arnold
10-18-2005, 7:55 PM
Dennis, I don't know anything about Lumenos, but I think almost everyone is getting shafted by their employer on their med. insurance.

Matt Meiser
10-18-2005, 8:32 PM
I think almost everyone is getting shafted by their employer on their med. insurance.

Actually, my company (a large environmental consulting company) just sent out information on our benefits plan for next year. It would appear that we are losing nothing and paying nothing more. Last year the contributions for my family only went up a total of less than $5/month and we lost nothing. I'm shocked.

I looked up Lumenos--doesn't sound good, especially since you have a lot of kids.

Steven Wilson
10-19-2005, 10:05 AM
Sure, I'm paying $400/month more for less medical coverage than I did 4 years ago, and my employer is paying more too. The coverage is still ok but quite expensive. But of course we must continue to cut taxes, raise deficits, comit crimes while in office, and provide welfare to the rich so that when they trickle down on us life will be much better.

Joe Pelonio
10-19-2005, 10:41 AM
Being self employed I'm lucky that my wife has decent health insurance through her employer, the school district. Even so the last two times a new contract has been negotiated the employee contribution has gone up and the benefits have gone down. Still, we're a lot better off than when we had to pay $800/month for lousy personal health insurance for the family. In fact I had emergency surgery in July for appendix removal and the bills that came in for my out-of-pocket totalled less than $300. We're about to have a vote on limiting lawsuits against doctors in an attempt to reduce health care costs in WA.

Scott Donley
10-19-2005, 2:29 PM
Being self employed I'm lucky that my wife has decent health insurance through her employer, the school district. Even so the last two times a new contract has been negotiated the employee contribution has gone up and the benefits have gone down. Still, we're a lot better off than when we had to pay $800/month for lousy personal health insurance for the family. In fact I had emergency surgery in July for appendix removal and the bills that came in for my out-of-pocket totalled less than $300. We're about to have a vote on limiting lawsuits against doctors in an attempt to reduce health care costs in WA.As A Teamster, I had great insurance, as a retirerd Teamster I pay 359 a mo. for very basic insurence. There is a reason Doctors and the insurance folks are backing Prop 330 here Washington, and it is not to lower YOUR cost. As the saying goes" follow the money "

Joe Pelonio
10-19-2005, 2:39 PM
Scott,

I agree. Wasn't going to get into it, but if that passes I'd expect nothing to improve for us, the benefits will be in profit. I expect that anti-attorney sentiment will account for most of the "yes" votes though.

Scott Donley
10-19-2005, 2:43 PM
Scott,

I agree. Wasn't going to get into it, but if that passes I'd expect nothing to improve for us, the benefits will be in profit. I expect that anti-attorney sentiment will account for most of the "yes" votes though.Agreed, still friends :)

Ed Breen
10-25-2005, 5:54 PM
Hey Guys,
I run a small company (150 employees) and we have a hard time getting good coverage for all of us. We do a lot of business with the state and were able to get the same coverage afforded to teachers and other state employees. For us it means coattailing to a large population. But I have to agree, if someone can't put a damper on spiraling medical and insurance costs we'll soon be getting poultices from the local shaman.

Who knows, it might be preferable!!??!!

Ed:cool:

Martin Kircher
10-25-2005, 5:59 PM
What timing tomorrow we are having presentations on this very plan. I'd like to hear from people who have it's coverage.

Martin

Martin Kircher
10-26-2005, 2:33 PM
Ok...who all is getting shafted by their company switching to this so called "stuff" called Lumenos for medical insurance? Is anybody out there experiencing the same corporate "shift" in savings for medical insurance costs for the associates/employee's?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Dennis,
I just got out of my presentation. As near as I can figure it out it sound good. You get a "savings account" for your health care copays and RX. Once that is spend then you have to pay out of pocket called a "Bridge". Traditional plans call this the deductible. Once your Bridge is satisfied then you have the 80/20 or traditional plan.

I don't go to the doctor much at all so this plan sounds good as long as the monthly premium isn't any higher.

I'd like to hear from others regarding this plan.

Thanks,
Martin

Jim Becker
10-27-2005, 10:13 AM
An Health Care Reimbursement Account is not unusual, although it's most often an optional benefit component. The nice thing about it, if it is set up properly, is that the money is taken out pre-tax. My employer allows up to $3000 to be set aside per year for reimbursement of co-pays, OTC items, etc. (And another $5000k for elder/child care plus 25% they kick in for that one) How the Lumenos thing is actually set up at your company may matter, too...they appear to have a bunch of ways it can be structured based on their web site. (I had never even heard of them prior to this thread!) So what you really have to look at is the actual medical coverage under the plan and it's affect on both your budget and on your healthcare behavior...

Dennis Peacock
10-27-2005, 6:46 PM
How about....

1. No perscription
2. I have to kick in at least $2400 per year
3. No Dental
4. No eye car
5. My part of the premium is going UP by another $100 per month (at least that's the cheapest I've found so far)

Remember the No Hassel Card? The answer is always NO? That's the way this plan is.....I have to pay out of pocket, almost $4000 before they start paying anything. Dental is another $120 per month and eye car is another $25 per month.

So....are you getting "wonderful" benefits like I am for next year? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Jim Becker
10-27-2005, 7:08 PM
That really bites, Dennis. Big time, especially when you add the increased costs of fuel, etc., to the mix. Sounds like they took the most minimal plan they could get from those folks. :(

Dennis Peacock
10-27-2005, 11:57 PM
You are correct Jim....and guess what.....? I have to pay out of my pocket, $4,200 BEFORE they'll even consider paying on any medical bill. "Consider"??!!!!!!!! Sheesh!!!!!!:mad: :mad: