PDA

View Full Version : Ridgid oscillating spindle sander

Gary McNair
04-01-2017, 12:33 PM
Hello all
Returning member here. I've inherited a Ridgid Oscillating spindle sander, model EB4424. When powered up the spindle turns however there is a rattle ling sound and there's no up and down action. I'm thinking the transmission is shot ? Didn't get much help from Ridgid when I called them on the problem.

Is the transmission/motor available? Best source?

Thanks,
Gary
Granbury, TX

John K Jordan
04-01-2017, 1:55 PM
I'd first try a disassembly and exam. Might just be something lose or repairable.

JKJ

George Bokros
04-01-2017, 1:56 PM
I had the same problem with a used one I bought. If I remember correctly the motor and transmission was almost as expensive and a new sander, $190 from eReplacement parts. I pressured the guy I bought it from and he took it back and refunded my money, for $100 more than parts I got a new one with a lifetime warranty.

Nick Decker
04-01-2017, 2:05 PM
A new one at Home Depot is $199. Just bought one a couple of weeks ago.

John Lankers
04-01-2017, 3:42 PM
Mine died the same way, you get what you pay for :(.

Nick Decker
04-01-2017, 3:57 PM
Anyone had experience with the Ridgid lifetime guarantee? I did jump through all their registration hoops after buying mine, as I had heard of some issues with this sander. Also heard it was a good machine, for the price.

Frank Pratt
04-01-2017, 4:15 PM
I've had one for many years & it's seen some pretty serious use. Still going strong.

John Lankers
04-01-2017, 4:24 PM
Anyone had experience with the Ridgid lifetime guarantee? I did jump through all their registration hoops after buying mine, as I had heard of some issues with this sander. Also heard it was a good machine, for the price.

Not the greatest. I had some minor issues, that were fixed under warranty, when the machine was just a few months old where I had to wait 2 months for the parts to arrive and now 8 years later my login credentials have disappeared from the website. I also have a Rdgid framing nailer which has never let me down.

Mike Chalmers
04-01-2017, 5:00 PM
I assume you are talking about the straight spindle sander, which is available from many different companies. Triton, Wen, Rockwell etc. I had one, it worked OK. Then I got the Ridgid edge/belt spindle sander. That is a good machine. I likes it, however, I upgraded to separate full size machines.
As far as Ridgid warranty goes, I had a Ridgid Shop Vac die on me recently. I almost did not call them, as I read about having to send the machine back to them at my own expense. They did not require that, they simply asked for four photos, approved the replacement, and two weeks later it arrived. It may be because I live in Canada. Worked great for me.

matt romanowski
04-02-2017, 8:29 AM

i used it on a cordless nailer. They had me bring it to a local repair shop. Gave them my name and picked it up about a week later. My experience was terrific.

Cliff Furman
04-13-2017, 9:28 AM
A friend gave me his older Ridgid oss, when it didn't go up and down.
I took it apart (lots of grease) and couldn't see anything wrong. Put back together. Still no go.
Repeat the above. This time it worked. Magic?
Then 2 years later the motor lost it's smoke. Motor was more than a new machine.
I liked the oss so much I had to buy a new one. This is the only machine other than hand held, I have ever bought new. (love the old arn) Liked it that much. Registered for the warranty of course.

It now has a bad switch. I can drop it off at a HD that has a rental dept, for repair. They want $28+/- up front in case it was abused etc. Refundable if not abused.

My Ridgid 12v impact (love it) needed a new chuck (stuck) and I called, and they sent it to me. I think I will call and see if they will send me a new switch. I know it's the switch, because it won't turn off!

Sounds weird, but I can't wait for my Ridgid batteries to die, and get free replacements!

William M Johnson
04-14-2017, 10:30 AM
Wow you guys have had much better luck on the warranty than me. I tried to get 3 items repaired under warranty,table saw and two sanders. All were denied. The table saw dated to 2001. They gave me the runaround after the motor started smoking. This was made before you had to jump through all the registration hoops. I eventually found my original receipt 10 plus years later. They finally said that the motor going up on smoke was normal wear and tear, and therefore not covered. The local authorized warranty service center told me that Ridgid had never authorized a warranty repair through their shop. I also have multiple bad batteries that they won't replace.

What's bad is I really like their features. Oh well.

Bill

glenn bradley
04-14-2017, 12:46 PM

As long as you navigate the waters correctly, the LSA can't be beat. I haven't bought a battery or paid for service in over a decade.

lowell holmes
04-14-2017, 1:38 PM
I've had one for many years & it's seen some pretty serious use. Still going strong.

Me to. Mine is still going strong.

Lori Kleinberg
04-15-2017, 12:35 AM
Warranty has been great. Used it for a couple batteries and fixed my oss in less then a week.