PDA

View Full Version : Veritas fluted dowel plate?

Pat Meeuwissen
04-01-2017, 10:20 AM
Guys I got this from a friend in a lot of tools and can't find anything on the Veritas website about it does anyone have one and could share the literature that comes with it?? Thanks Pat

Jim Koepke
04-01-2017, 11:56 AM
It looks like something to treat dowels before gluing to allow the glue to squeeze out. It is likely a discontinued product.

jtk

Mel Fulks
04-01-2017, 1:07 PM
I'm gonna wait for the movie!! Really not much to it ,just drive em through to slim enough to go in without splitting the wood. All the old guys I worked with made their own and I made one. We just drilled holes and used a big countersink to champher the holes a bit. Scrap metal plates we used were sometimes an inch thick. I don't see any advantage to the flutes over smooth.

lowell holmes
04-01-2017, 1:17 PM
Looks like another April 1 innovation to me. :)

Pat Meeuwissen
04-02-2017, 6:50 AM
Looks like another April 1 innovation to me. :)

I totally realize this is as basic as it gets but wanted to see how Veritas suggested mounting and using it. I'm thinking a piece of 6/4 oak with holes drilled where the dowels go thru and secured thru the two corner recessed holes.

Lee Schierer
04-02-2017, 8:10 AM
Why not just place it over a dog hole in a work bench and pound the wood piece through it?

Andrey Kharitonkin
04-02-2017, 4:23 PM
I ordered Woodpeckers Dowel Press Die Set, it has fluted ones too! :) Ordered because of this and because there are slightly over sized ones for two step finish... and because I do not know if need it but idea was pleasing.

Pat Meeuwissen
04-03-2017, 5:54 AM
My bench at the moment doesn't have any. I have been spanning it between my end vise jaws.

Pat Meeuwissen
04-03-2017, 5:57 AM
While I love the Woodpecker tools I have this is just a tool I got as a throw in. I usually just buy dowels but wanted to be able to use it the way that Veritas had designed it. The WP version is WAY too over the top for my little shop. Thanks for showing it to me. Pat