PDA

View Full Version : SSC H-5 Pressure foot

Graham Facer
03-31-2017, 8:10 PM
Hi all,

This is just a quick build thread for a mod I've just done on my Safety speed cut H5.

We cut plastic and some plastics (lexan and abs) are very jumpy especially at the start and end of cut. The big saws get around this with a pressure foot you lower down. That was not a practical modification for the H-5 but for years I have wanted to attempt something. I initially tried to use a design like the blade guard but with more area and tension but that did not work unless I bolted it to the outside of the square mounting plate - but by putting it there I would chop it in half if I ripped with it in place.

So I changed to a compression spring design on some 3.5 (or they might be 4") 1/4" -20 bolts. The springs go between the foot and the saw mounting plate on the bolts.

I cnc'd a pocket for the bolt heads into some .25" lexan and then bent up the ends so that it would ride up and over a sheet up to 1" thick.

I did not take any photo's of the attempts that did not work out but here are some pics of what had. It does wobble on the bolts a bit but the riving blade keeps it from moving into the blade in any significant way. If I the rod washers were welding on - that would assist that but it seems to work as is.