PDA

View Full Version : Drum Sander

Bob Stout
03-31-2017, 11:48 AM
Does anyone have any experience using a drum sander for sanding treated wood like 2x4? Will a drum sander work, or should I look at a different type sander for this. I make outdoor furniture out of treated wood and have been using a orbital sander to sand it all and was wondering if there is a faster way to sand it thanks for any info on this.

Ed Labadie
03-31-2017, 2:32 PM
I've ran regular const. grade pine through my Woodmaster before, never again. It loads up the paper in short order, no matter what you do, hit a pitch pocket and there's a bigger mess.

Can only imagine treated lumber would be worse since it's been soaked...

Ed

Don Jarvie
03-31-2017, 3:07 PM
A planer may be a better option. It should do a good enough job so the sanding should be minimal.

George Bokros
03-31-2017, 5:49 PM
I wouldn't put treated lumber through my planer. I even us an old blade in the table saw when and if I need to cut treated lumber.

Nick Decker
03-31-2017, 5:59 PM
I've ran regular const. grade pine through my Woodmaster before, never again. It loads up the paper in short order, no matter what you do, hit a pitch pocket and there's a bigger mess.

Can only imagine treated lumber would be worse since it's been soaked...

Ed

Ditto. I ran a 2x6 through my drum sander once. Never again. Gummy mess.

Larry Frank
03-31-2017, 7:13 PM
I would not put it through a sander because the dust is toxic. Breathing it would be very bad.

Chris Schoenthal
03-31-2017, 10:18 PM
I would not put it through a sander because the dust is toxic. Breathing it would be very bad.
The drum sander is probably going to have better dust collection than the orbital that he's currently using.
I say do whatever you need to do with it, just be aware of the consequences.

Sam Puhalovich
04-01-2017, 6:46 AM
Like the others have noted: pine loads-up the paper real quick ... in a typical drum sander.
I have a Jet 22/44 Oscillating Drum Sander that does very well with pine when run in the oscillating mode.
It still will load-up if the material 'wet'.