PDA

View Full Version : Beware of magnets!

Larry Edgerton
03-31-2017, 10:57 AM
Funny story....... Well,, now its funny.

Someone gave me this magnet that was used in a printing operation to pull metal out of the paper. Its about 3' long, 2 1/2" wide and consists of a 1/8" stainless sheet with a bunch of some kind of magnets bonded to it that are parallelograms spaced about 1/4" apart the whole length. EXTREMELY STRONG!!!! its so strong my buddy and I picked up my DJ20 jointer with it easily. Easy for the magnet, not us. There is a warning on it to stay ten feet away if you have a pacemaker. Ironically you had to be one foot away to be able to read it?

I had it screwed to the wall to hold shaper bushings and decided that I was going to make a magnetic fixture out of it, so I took it down and cut it in half. I was putting handles on it, coming from the drill press heading back to the bench when WHAM!

As I walked by the other half sitting on the saw magnet side up the one on the saw jumped up and bit me. No, really, that is what happened! You always hear of trees jumping out and biting cars so I know this stuff can happen.

SO...... Here I am in my shop working alone with my finger caught between two magnets that are capable of lifting a jointer. This hurts a little bit. You know that instant when you hit your finger with a hammer? Well, just keep that going. I don't suggest that you keep hitting yourself with a hammer to get an idea what it felt like, just take my word for it. To give you a clue, I have broken both legs at the same time, and this hurt worse. Or, maybe I an just getting to be a wimp in my old age?

So in screaming pain I am trying to get this off my finger. Can't pull it out, probably a good thing in retrospect and I only have one hand to work with, the other one having a couple of foot and a half magnets clamped on it. Plus my vision was little blurry, probably had something to do with the magnets making my eyes water. I didn't know magnets could do that? Who knew?

I'm hoping I can figure out a way to get it off because I am not sure I can drive the ten miles to town with the magnets making my eyes water. I can't pull two magnets apart with one hand, something I had never thought about before. Its true, you can't do it! I was almost ready to head for town when I spied the rail on my slide saw. I slipped the open end that was fighting its hardest to mate with its sibling over the rail, grabbed the saw wrench that hangs there and jambed it in between, prying enough that I could slip my finger out.

The pain then got worse, and I thought I was going to have to visit the porcelain goddess. My finger was no more than a 1/4" thick. Didn't know exactly how much bone was in my finger, and now I do, about 1/4 inch. It took a half hour for it to regain is somewhat normal shape, and as it did the pain subsided with it.

Its ok to laugh, I do now......

Oh yeah, I screwed the two halves back on the wall and that is where those little buggers are going to stay.....

Van Huskey
03-31-2017, 11:37 AM
Crazy, glad you are OK! Magnets are no joke and they look so innocuous.

Be glad you got it off quickly, compartment syndrome is no joke. Plus a life long pro wood worker that lost a finger to a magnet just seems all kinds of wrong, Mag-Stop maybe?

Matt Day
03-31-2017, 11:40 AM
Wow! Quite a story! Hope that the finger recovers. Adding to the pain must have been the pulsing thought of "WT# do I do now!" Thanks for sharing.

Barry McFadden
03-31-2017, 11:44 AM
OUCH!!!!....I've pinched the skin of a finger between 2 quarter size rare earth magnets and that hurts enough.... can't imagine what you went through!!

Ben Rivel
03-31-2017, 11:45 AM
Wow. Truthfully, I did not laugh. Thats just scary. I have played with some stronger than normal magnets, but nothing anywhere near that strength. To be honest the power of strong magnets like that has always scared me as I could imagine them flying across the room going for the nearest large metal object with me in the path! That was one reason I really liked the MagSwitch products since you can turn off their magnetic power!

John K Jordan
03-31-2017, 12:06 PM
Oh my, I might seek medical attention if it swells and reddens significantly in the next day. I have some huge rare earth magnets that are supposed to be capable of breaking fingers. I haven't tested that.

If they are thin, the magnet segments you describe sound close to those used in computer disk drives for head positioning and I know even one of those is strong. I'm having trouble visualizing the total force from an array 3' long.

What in the world are you going to use these for? A piece of that might be good for dragging a pond or river for salvage! BTW, another possible use for a strong magnet in the shop that I hope I never have to try: I've been told it may be possible to pull a steel shaving from an eye.

JKJ

Ken Fitzgerald
03-31-2017, 12:11 PM
Now you understand how accidents happen with regards to the magnetic fields on MRI scanners.......buffers pulled into the bore.........hospital beds stuck to the front of the magnet...........oxygen bottles pulled into the bore........anesthesia carts stuck to the front......

Larry Edgerton
03-31-2017, 12:18 PM
Its a funny story, LAUGH!

I was hoping to make some of you get a chuckle for the day with the tale of my misadventure, but you guys take life way too seriously. It was a coupe of moths ago, I'm just dandy.

Steve Demuth
03-31-2017, 12:36 PM
Magnets can exert scary force. Where I work, we teach magnet safety as a matter of necessity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BBx8BwLhqg. Our experimental imaging group uses magnets 2-3X as big as the one in the safety video, so we really could pin a car to the machine.

Ryan Mooney
03-31-2017, 12:51 PM
Well I'm glad you got your finger out and that was all that got caught hehe. I do not envy you the experience, I've gotten plenty of blood blisters from little magnets and that's plenty of excitement.

It would be interesting to know how they cleaned the magnet from metallic junk in the paper plant, they must have had some sort of cover over it that you could pull off to drop the dross..

Now you understand how accidents happen with regards to the magnetic fields on MRI scanners.......

Hah, so the one place I worked had (what was at the time..) one of the worlds two largest NMRs (which are just really large MRI machines with a really small bore). Think an MRI many times more powerful than the hospital ones with a bore about 1" across where all the force is concentrated (they had a large tank of liquid nitrogen to cool the liquid helium that cooled the magnet). You can literally image protein structures or individual cells in a mouses heart with this machine.

Anyway.. this rig had a 20+' circle taped off around it that went well out into the adjacent hallway where you weren't allowed to go if you had a pacemaker and a somewhat smaller circle also into the hallway) that was the no-metal zone. So you'd see folks going down the hall kind of adjust location and sidle away from the big scary magnet on the other side of the wall. There were a few stories of rogue screwdrivers and the like but in general the risk was high enough that folks were pretty careful around it.

Big magnets are no joke... The huge electromagnets used for lifting cars in junk yards have always held a certain amount of fascination as well.. a magnet that can pick up a truck.

Ole Anderson
03-31-2017, 1:25 PM
Next time, be sure to pull out your cell phone with your good hand and take some pics so we know it really happened!:eek:

Craig Shewmake
03-31-2017, 1:49 PM
I'll admit it. I laughed. Not at the severity of the situation or the obvious pain you endured but in the way you told the story. Well done and I am glad you are ok.

Van Huskey
03-31-2017, 3:12 PM
Next time, be sure to pull out your cell phone with your good hand and take some pics so we know it really happened!:eek:

HMMM, pictures or it didn't happen.... :D I'm laughing, Larry, I'm laughing!

Malcolm McLeod
03-31-2017, 4:08 PM
HMMM, pictures or it didn't happen.... :D I'm laughing, Larry, I'm laughing!

Sorry Larry, you're going to have to do a repeat for the videographer. (Maybe it won't hurt so bad this time?)

...that which does not kill us, goes viral.

peter gagliardi
03-31-2017, 4:30 PM
Larry, I was definitely laughing! There must be something wrong with the way my brain works, because I find a LOT of humor in someone getting hurt. I always have. Not cut your hand off kind of hurt, but whack your finger kind of hurt, most definitely.
Glad you escaped and told the story.

Martin Wasner
03-31-2017, 4:41 PM
Larry, I was definitely laughing! There must be something wrong with the way my brain works, because I find a LOT of humor in someone getting hurt. I always have. Not cut your hand off kind of hurt, but whack your finger kind of hurt, most definitely.
Glad you escaped and told the story.

Peter says it better than I could have.

John K Jordan
03-31-2017, 4:42 PM
Its a funny story, LAUGH!
...It was a coupe of moths ago, I'm just dandy.

Ok, a chuckle now - it was indeed a great story. But I must have too much empathy. I can't watch those Funny Video shows without wondering if the guy who got kicked by the horse needed surgery and 4 months in the hospital.

JKJ

rudy de haas
03-31-2017, 5:42 PM
umm, funny and sad - but.. as far as I know the strongest permanent magnets run around 20K gause at the surface/edge and that force, of course, falls off with the square of the distance so I'm having no trouble imagining what happened to you, but lots of trouble imagining magnets that small doing it. Still, even half the force you describe would hurt like h* so - my deepest sympathy.

Sam Blasco
03-31-2017, 6:02 PM
You must have had fun typing this story for the thread...

Sam Murdoch
03-31-2017, 6:59 PM
I'll admit it. I laughed. Not at the severity of the situation or the obvious pain you endured but in the way you told the story. Well done and I am glad you are ok.

Me too - I laughed out loud as I cringed :eek: but then read your story aloud to my wife for the entertainment. I read it with great enthusiasm and with lilting voice or agonized gasps as needed. You are a natural story teller. :D.

I too am glad you are OK today and didn't suffer much past the incident.

Thank you for sharing.

Joe Calhoon
04-01-2017, 10:13 AM
Larry
I am still laughing, you are a great storyteller! I think this was brought on by your "magnetic" personality that attracted all those fast women to you.

Eric Keller
04-01-2017, 11:54 AM
I usually don't remember how much it hurts to hit myself with a hammer until I do it again. I laughed a couple of times during the story, tempered with horror at the thought of the magnets squashing your finger. I had a finger squashed by a timing belt once, not my favorite experience. Had to get a couple of stitches after it popped.

A couple of my student groups used high-strength magnets for their projects. They are just amazing. And also a real pain (sometimes literally) to work with. Magnet vendors send you a stack of magnets put together. So your first job is to separate them somehow. Then they want to jump back together, and probably crack.

Larry Edgerton
04-01-2017, 12:04 PM
It would be interesting to know how they cleaned the magnet from metallic junk in the paper plant, they must have had some sort of cover over it that you could pull off to drop the dross..

I was kind of wondering that myself. I can't really say where they came from but you have the end product in your wallet, so I would say that money was no object. We have a place up here, Industrial Magnetics, that makes all kinds of stuff and I have one of their roll around nail picker uppers, but it is simple, You pull a lever and it picks the magnet away from the metal plate on the bottom. Maybe something along those lines.

Glad some of you guys are getting a chuckle as was intended. I was worried that I had stumbled into a SawStop convention.:p

John K Jordan
04-01-2017, 1:46 PM
Glad some of you guys are getting a chuckle as was intended. I was worried that I had stumbled into a SawStop convention.:p

You story did remind me a bit about my incident with the super glue at the lathe. I glued my fingers to something on the lathe, I couldn't reach the debonder and no else one was home. The only think useful I could reach was a sharp scalpel. I didn't lose much skin.

JKJ

Steve Peterson
04-01-2017, 3:35 PM
I can't believe that you typed that entire story with one hand. See if you can also take picture with one hand and post it to help me understand the situation better. :)

Steve

John K Jordan
04-01-2017, 4:55 PM
...I'm having no trouble imagining what happened to you, but lots of trouble imagining magnets that small doing it...

I'm imagining the forces from a row of magnets on an 18" rigid bar being attracted to another 18" row with the force from a long lever on the finger. The way the poles were orientated could make a big difference, but there are too many unknowns to estimate.

JKJ

Paul K. Johnson
04-02-2017, 8:20 AM
Well....

I make a magnetic fixture system that I sell and I play with all kinds of magnets. A few years ago just for kicks I bought some pretty large rare-earth magnets and the place I bought them from explicitly warned that if you get a part of your body (like your hand, for example) between two of these magnets they can crush your bones to powder.

I can't pull several of them from a piece of metal. I have to put a lot of force into sliding them off the edge of the board.

I actually have no use for these magnets but the price was right and I figured they'd amuse me for a while before they collect dust the rest of their lives and one day I might accidentally drop an out-board motor in a lake accidentally and need to pull it out.