PDA

View Full Version : Lion Trimmer gear skip?

Larry Edgerton
03-31-2017, 10:35 AM
A few years ago I bought a NOS Lion trimmer, the original, and used it for one job, but it had an issue. It would skip teeth on the gear between the rack and get out of time. Annoying, but I made it through that job and put it back on the shelf in the box and have not touched it since. Until this morning.

Ok, the problem was that the gear was just not big enough so I took it all apart and looked at the post height. It was maybe a little tall so I shaved off 1/32" off of each post. About all I wanted to take off and it still skipped.

So flattened out the table as it had a slight bow in it, not much, but a little. Still skipped.

Grabbed a cup of coffee and sat down and starred at it for a while and came up with what ended up being the solution. I took it all back apart and cleaned the rack on the bottom super clean , warmed it up and slathered on some soldering paste. I then cut three strips of 95/5 solder that would just fall in the notches, and then took a torch and heated it until it melted and stuck to the cast iron. What it did was fill the bottom half of the rack so that the gear was riding up higher in the top rack but still had good bite in the lower rack. I thought about epoxy which may work, but I tried the solder as it was reversible easily.

Odd problem, but thought there may be some of you that have had the same issue. It works like a charm now.

Larry

Stan Calow
03-31-2017, 11:23 AM
Larry this was good information. I have a trimmer and just assumed the sloppiness was not fixable.

Larry Edgerton
04-01-2017, 7:28 AM
Stan, I think the epoxy would do the job just fine and be easier. You would have to use a syringe to get it right in each little valley so no mess and all the same.