PDA

View Full Version : A few turnings

Carole Valentine
10-18-2005, 2:14 PM
I have been working on technique lately, trying to achieve fair curves and no tool or sanding marks. These are the latest three pieces. The first is a piece of Black Willow that had gone soft and almost punky. It is very light weight. The second is a piece of Maple and I think I finally got the curve right...at least it looks like it to me. Both of those have Tried and True Original finish on them since they are utility bowls. The third is a small piece of Ornamental Pear that Jim Pugh sent me. It has Watco but has not been buffed. That stuff is incredibly wonderful to turn. It is so smooth I didn't want to buff it before taking a pic because I figured the glare would be too bad! Comments and critiques welcome!

Ed Scolforo
10-18-2005, 2:44 PM
Beutiful work on all three, Carole. I especially like the form on the Willow. Keep up the good work!
Ed

Cecil Arnold
10-18-2005, 3:06 PM
It's good to see you are working out that new lathe. Have you got the new worn off yet?

Keith Burns
10-18-2005, 5:01 PM
Carole, in my opinion all three have great form. You can be proud of all of them.

Jim Ketron
10-18-2005, 5:12 PM
Great job Carole!
They all look nice!

Jack Hogoboom
10-18-2005, 5:45 PM
Carole,

I love them all. Your turnings have really improved. I love the thin edge willow. I'm so ham-handed that I can't risk getting that thin, but I really appreciate the skill it takes to do it. I think all three forms look terrific. Nice and light, like they want to be held.

Thanks for sharing...and inspiring.

Jack

John Hart
10-18-2005, 6:08 PM
Very nice Carole! I especially love the direction of the grain in the maple piece. It almost has movement. Very pretty. Oh...and I also like the fact that you labeled your pictures. I think I'll steal your idea and start doing that myself.(Do I owe you any money for copyright infringement?:D )

Carole Valentine
10-18-2005, 6:27 PM
LOL Not my idea...a number of folks do that. I figure if I ever get my web site done, they will be ready to put up.

I think I'll steal your idea and start doing that myself.(Do I owe you any money for copyright infringement?:D )

Dick Parr
10-18-2005, 6:36 PM
They look great Carole. It didn't take you long to get the hang of that new DVR.;) Nice job on all 3 of them.:)

Loy Hawes
10-18-2005, 7:19 PM
Nice job on all of the bowls. I like the heavy rim on the pear. Your pictures look nice too. Are you shooting in a photo tent?

Carole Valentine
10-18-2005, 7:25 PM
Nice job on all of the bowls. I like the heavy rim on the pear. Your pictures look nice too. Are you shooting in a photo tent? Thanks, Loy. No I do not have a tent. I use poster board on a chair on my screened porch, which simulates a cloudy day.:)

Michael Stafford
10-18-2005, 7:43 PM
I really like the form of the Black Willow, punky or not. That is a shape I am partial to... The curl in the ornamental pear is quite lovely. A very nice piece. The maple is nice as well but comes in third on my list.:D

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-18-2005, 8:11 PM
They look very nice. Glad you're givin' the new TOY some food.

Bruce

Travis Stinson
10-18-2005, 9:58 PM
I like all of them Carole. The Maple does have a very nice, flowing shape. I keep going back to the Pear though, that curl is TOO lovely!:cool:

Jeff Sudmeier
10-19-2005, 7:46 AM
Carole, I love all three! Also, the naming of the pictures adds a bit of class! :)

Mark Cothren
10-19-2005, 8:52 AM
I like all three of them - what's not to like? :confused: But just to chime in with my opinion, I like 'em best in just the order you posted 'em.

Great work and thanks for the pictures!

Jerry Clark
10-19-2005, 8:55 AM
Very nice Carole--Love all of them!:D

Jason Roehl
10-19-2005, 8:57 AM
Carol, those all look great! I like the shape of the first two just fine, but I really like the pear--I like a bowl with a little heft to it, and the figure in the grain is just wonderful!

Glenn Hodges
10-19-2005, 9:16 AM
Carole, I enjoy looking at the shapes of bowls and these are examples of perfection. You have made 3 examples of thickness to appeal to the different types of customers, kind of like the 3 bears and Goldilocks. I always enjoy looking at your work, and appreciate your postings.

Michael Stafford
10-19-2005, 12:07 PM
Carole, I keep coming back to look at the black willow bowl and I sure do like it and the form. Really nice looking bowl to me!!!:D

Ernie Nyvall
10-19-2005, 5:38 PM
Really nice bowls Carole. I really like that ornamental Pear. How do you like that new lathe?

Ernie

Carole Valentine
10-19-2005, 11:02 PM
Really nice bowls Carole. I really like that ornamental Pear. How do you like that new lathe?

Ernie
Thanks, Ernie. I like the DVR but I can't get used to those stupid tunes it plays! :D

Harry Pye
10-19-2005, 11:30 PM
Thanks, Ernie. I like the DVR but I can't get used to those stupid tunes it plays! :D
Carole,

I have the same problem. I keep thinking the Good Humor Man is outside! :) :) :)

Robert Watsek
10-20-2005, 12:28 AM
All three are very nice Carole, I like them all but if you make me choose a favorite I have to go with the willow because of the shape.:) :cool:

Bob