PDA

View Full Version : New iPad or 2-in-1 Laptop?

Mike Goetzke
03-30-2017, 5:22 PM
I'm on my second iPad that failed right out of warranty. I did use a Logitec keyboard that attached using the built-in iPad magnets. I have read some have had similar erratic display failures due to use of Apple magnetic covers. I'm not totally convinced this is my issue.

My second iPad had extended warranty and should be returned this week. I'm pretty convinced that I'm going to sell it and either buy the new 5th generation iPad or go a new rout. I see many 2-in-1 machines on the market and wondering if anyone has been in the same boat as I and switched to one and can add some experience they have had.

I mostly use a desktop today for 2-d drawings, office tools, Printmaster, photoshop and a few others and my iPad I use while watching TV to read mail, look at forums, watch movies on long plane rides, and surf the net a little. Just wondering if a 2-in-1 could do 80-90% of the work of both of these machines.

Thanks

Mike

Matt Day
03-30-2017, 7:57 PM
I have a 13" Dell 2 in 1. I like it but it's too big to take the place of an iPad. I mainly use it for laptop use but the touchscreen is nice to have. I dock it and attach an external monitor and mouse/keyboard for Sketchup.

For simple web browsing, I use my phone. I don't really have a use for our iPad anymore - my 4 year old is the primary user.

Shawn Pixley
03-30-2017, 8:49 PM
I would get a new iPad myself. I have a first generation iPad (WiFi not Cellular) still for personal use. It is essential for travel. I have books and movies on it that don't require streaming. I use the iPad daily for browsing and email. I have apps for Word, Excel and Powerpoint where I can write, read and edit. I also have an app for VOIP. I don't find the need for a keyboard.

That said, I wouldn't want to use an iPad for database query, complicated spreadsheets, or Powerpoint creation (I write complicated, data rich PowerPoints).

I have a work iPad for travel so I don't need the laptop.

Brian Elfert
03-30-2017, 8:54 PM
An iPad and a laptop really serve two different purposes. If I had to live with just one my choice would be a laptop. A tablet is more of a media consumption device while a laptop can be used for real work.

Apple stores have been known to sometimes be generous with hardware replacements outside of warranty. I know someone who was just given a brand new Macbook at an Apple store because his had been repaired so many times. I believe it was out of warranty and he paid for the initial repair.

Lee DeRaud
03-30-2017, 9:05 PM
Here's one vote for the Microsoft Surface Book... I've had this one almost a year and haven't seen any 2-in-1 that matches it. It's a bit pricey, but if you're already used to Apple prices, that may not bother you.

Matt Meiser
03-30-2017, 10:14 PM
I'm surprised you've had multiple problems. My daughter goes to a private high school that has a 1:1 iPad program and they've had surprisingly few issues that aren't a direct result of giving a 14-18 year old a $500 device. P\My daughter has a keyboard case but the keyboard is attached to the case, not directly to the iPad but its darn near as big as a laptop with that combo. My daughter has had some unexplainable software glitches and after the school year I may push the local Apple Store to replace it under Applecare. Stuff like loosing her wifi connection about once a week which takes going to the technology coordinator to fix and odd behavior with app updates that never complete.

I have a 2-in-1 HP x360. I have probably used it as a tablet twice. Next time I'll just do an ultrabook. I tried going to an iPad for my casual-use personal device but found it to limiting. I now have a mini for really casual use and for an eReader but I use the laptop on the couch at night.

Matt Day
03-30-2017, 10:16 PM
Or maybe the iPad Pro is something you should consider?

Jim Becker
03-31-2017, 9:14 AM
For the things you list as your use case, a tablet probably remains the best bet since it's limited typing and mostly "portable reading". If you had to add "doing real work" to the mix, than something like the Surface or other "convertible" might be a good choice.

That said, for actual reading...of books...I much prefer a dedicated device. My Kindle Paperwhite has a non-glare screen and is a lot more comfortable to read from than when I use my iPad or iPhone (plus version with a screen nearly the same size as the Kindle)

Mike Goetzke
03-31-2017, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the comments. Here is a video that has the same screen/lcd failure I had on both of my iPads:

Video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_hQNrX463U)

Like I said I have used a Logitech keyboard/cover that uses the magnets inside the iPad to hold it on. I'm beginning to believe the magnet theory is true. I bought a replacement screen for my older iPad off ebay for $29 (they were $150 at the time this iPad failed). I just installed it today and it's working again!

Even though my first iPad was only two months out of warranty my Apple store would only offer $50 off a new one. I could buy the same model cheaper at Target.

Oh well - I'll be watching the prices on my other options but will stick with my current iPads for now.

Mike