PDA

View Full Version : Laguna 12" Jointer/Planer Combo vs Delta DJ-20 8" Jointer/DC-380 15" Planer

Karl Laubengayer
03-30-2017, 3:51 PM
I have an opportunity to pick up a Laguna 12" Jointer/Planer for $1,500 locally. I've had a Delta DJ-20 8" Jointer/DC-380 15" Planer for about 13 years that I've been considering upgrade to Byrd heads. Given the Byrd heads will set me back at least $1,150 and space in my shop has become a premium, I'm giving consideration to the Laguna JP Combo. I've read the debates regarding the value of a combo machine vs separates and have accepted a combo would be acceptable. Btw, my Delta tools are in great shape.

Here's my dilma. While I'm reasonably sure I can recoup most of my cost by selling my Delta equipment, I'm concerned that Laguna is no long selling combo machines and that I'll find myself in the same position regarding parts and support that I'm in with Delta. Ideally I'd like a Hammer A3-31 but now we're talking a much larger bill. If the Hammer is absolutely the right answer, then I can wait to save up my pennies to get one then.

I'd like to hear thought on pros and cons of each option and the direction SawMillCreek readers would go. Oh, and I only have a couple of days to decide.

Thanks in advance.

Karl

John TenEyck
03-30-2017, 7:09 PM
If the Laguna is a good machine, and I have no clue if it is, it would be an easy choice for me. I value a wide jointer a lot more than a wide planer. I can't plane what I can't surface joint. I had a 10" J/P and now have a 14" one. I'd never want to go back to the 10" one, much less to an 8" one. If you don't need to surface lumber wider than 8" then stick with what you have, but if you already or intend to use wider stock get the J/P. Again, this is all predicated on the Laguna being a good machine. Personally, I never worry about spare parts. There's not much to go wrong on jointers and planers other than bearings and they are universally available in almost all cases. If the Laguna is not well respected then I'd keep looking for another combo machine, even bigger.

John

Bill Space
03-30-2017, 9:12 PM
Hi,

I'm not a big fan of combination tools, with the exception of a couple Shopsmiths I have, but I think a combination jointer/planer is a reasonable thing to buy. I do not have any experience with this unit, but my guess is that the jointer is set up and forgotten, and the planer side is adjustable as required. So essentially you have two tools in one location that are independent of one another to some degree. And they match each other in size.

Since you you are not concerned about spare parts, I guess it boils down to whether you like the Laguna name or not.

I don't know much about Laguna so I suppose my post here has little value… Sorry…

edit: I See it was John and not the OP that is not worried about spare parts...��

Jim Becker
03-31-2017, 10:53 AM
I also have no experience/knowledge of the specific J/P you have the opportunity to buy, but as a long-time J/P user, I'm all for it. You'll gain face jointing capacity that equals thicknessing capacity and in a reduced footprint.

Keith Hankins
03-31-2017, 11:22 AM
Ino my opinion unless space is overriding factor go Sep machines the short length in feed out feed tables kills it 4 me

Van Huskey
03-31-2017, 11:42 AM
Ino my opinion unless space is overriding factor go Sep machines the short length in feed out feed tables kills it 4 me

The narrow 8" jointer kills that set of separates for me. I think it really depends on the capacity you need. I prefer separates but the jump from a 8" to 12" jointer overrides the shorter tables and changeover time in my book.

That said I honestly don't know about the combo in question, I have walked past them at shows before but never really inspected one and they never got much traction on the forums, most seemed to choice either the budget choices of Jet or Grizzly or move up to Hammer/Minimax or above.

Joseph Fenske
03-31-2017, 3:59 PM
I started wood working a couple of years ago. I started with a dewalt 735 and a 6" Ridgid. Both are good tools. I ended up selling both and getting a 12" Jet J/P with a helical head. The Jet is just OK. The beds are hard to keep coplanar. Also the aluminum fence is slightly warped. I decided to just stick with single purpose machines. I bought a 1923 12" American jointer and I take delivery of a 1958 Northfield #2 planer on the 8th. I do woodworking for fun and I was spending too much time keeping the Jet calibrated.

Keith Hankins
03-31-2017, 4:07 PM
The narrow 8" jointer kills that set of separates for me. I think it really depends on the capacity you need. I prefer separates but the jump from a 8" to 12" jointer overrides the shorter tables and changeover time in my book.

That said I honestly don't know about the combo in question, I have walked past them at shows before but never really inspected one and they never got much traction on the forums, most seemed to choice either the budget choices of Jet or Grizzly or move up to Hammer/Minimax or above.

I hear ya, I've got a 12" griz now with HSS knives and its been a dream. Can't imagine anything narrower. (now) :) cheers.

Jim Becker
04-02-2017, 9:33 AM
I thought that might be the case at first, but in reality...it's rare that I finish process any material longer than 6' so the shorter jointer tables are a non-factor. And for that rare moment when something longer does need to be dressed? Auxiliary support takes care of it.

John TenEyck
04-02-2017, 10:39 AM
Short tables being a problem is a non-issue. I used to have an Inca J/P. Those tables were something like 34" total yet I regularly processed boards over 7' long w/o issue. Of course it's harder than on a long bed jointer, but it's still not hard. My "new to me" FS 35 MiniMax has tables about 60 or 62" long. Yes it's easier to joint boards flat now, and it would be even easier on my friend's 98" long Zefam, but it's not a requirement to success.

John