PDA

View Full Version : Another flooring question

Ellen Benkin
03-30-2017, 10:12 AM
I live in an old house with old oak floors which are shot. I am getting bids for new floors throughout the house. One guy suggested putting the new flooring over the existing floors and using them as the subfloors. This seemed wrong to me. Any comments from you? Other flooring guys say to remove the old flooring and either put down plywood or just use the existing subfloor which is 2 x 6 planks run on a diagonal over the joists. I'm confused by all the suggestions and would appreciate any advice.

Lee Schierer
03-30-2017, 1:01 PM
There are advantages of doing all of those methods. If the flooring is in good shape it is permissible to lay the new floor over it. However, problems may arise where the height of new floor doesn't match where it meets other rooms where the floor is not being replaced. If this is a kitchen, the new floor height may make replacing any cabinets and the dishwasher more difficult. The added floor thickness may result in doors not clearing the new floor. All trim and door casings will need adjusted.

Removing existing flooring adds labor which costs more. It also reveals the existing sub flooring which may have additional problems that need repaired.

Bill Space
03-30-2017, 1:05 PM
Hi,

First thought that came to my mind was, do the floors squeak now? If so you need to deal with that, and removing the existing hardwood and putting the new floor on the existing sub floor may be the only cost effective option.

If the floors are sound, what is the difference if what is there is treated as a sub floor? Not sure but I would probably take that option. The guy that wants to rip out the existing hardwood will likely cost you more. If there is no advantage, why do it?

I am not an expert so take my ideas with a grain of salt. One question: will the existing hard wood take and hold the nails used to secure the new flooring. I suppose so, but it seems like most hardwood is nailed into something like plywood or softwood, which will take the nails easier than hardwood.

A thicker floor will offer better sound insulation. Not sure if this is a concern.

It will be interesting to hear the responses of those with more experience.

Edit: Lee's point about considering the differences in resulting floor height is a very good one.

Bill