PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Router/Table

John Hagelberger
10-18-2005, 1:39 PM
<!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
Hello to everyone...I am a novice woodworker, who'd like to build some cabinets. I am in the need to buy a router and/or table and would love some advice. Again I am totally new...do I need a plunge router, do I need an expensive table...etc. any input would be much appreciated.

Thank You!!!

Scott Brihn
10-18-2005, 1:54 PM
John,

The kits offered by DeWalt, Porter Cable, Bosch, Makita and others typically provide you with both a fixed and plunge base and are generally considered to be a good value. Variable speed and the ability to accept multiple collet sizes are a couple of good features to look for. When not in a table, ergonomics should play a role in deciding which model is right for you. I personally prefer to be able to turn the unit on/off without repositioning my hands. Google "Pat Warner" and check out his site dedicated to all things associated with routers.

Many woodworkers build beautiful router tables with good dust collection. When I was acquiring tools for my shop I chose to purchase a router table from Woodpeckers. Time available (or lack of) to build a nice table was a key factor in my decision. If you are considering buying a table there are a number of quality offerings available through firms like Jessem and CMT. Regardless of whether you build or buy an accurate/reliable fence positioning mechanism and dust collection should be key features.