PDA

View Full Version : Oneway stronghold

Bill Jobe
03-29-2017, 4:03 PM
Where's a good place to buy a chuck? I want to add a Oneway Stronghold for the 0766 that's on its way to me.
Who's good to do business with, Rockler? Is their price of $274 competative?
Thanks

Steve Schlumpf
03-29-2017, 4:28 PM
Bill, you can Google to find a good price but remember that the chuck also requires the taper-lock adapter and that will add to the overall price.

Greg Parrish
03-29-2017, 4:28 PM
Couple here without the thread adapter that might save some money if you buy the adapter separate for a good price

http://www. ebay .com/itm/ Oneway-Stronghold-Chuck-Heavy-Duty-4-Jaw-Scroll-Chuck-2137-/182499288209?hash=item2a7dce2491:g:DnYAAOSwCU1Y0ss 2

https://www.amazon.com/Oneway-2137-StrongHold-No-Adapter/dp/B002K9ZEI2/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1490819010&sr=8-12&keywords=oneway+stronghold+chuck

Olaf Vogel
03-29-2017, 5:35 PM
I find pricing is pretty consistent with these. So shipping cost and availability is the major factor

In Canada, this is one of the best places: http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=45612&cat=1,330,69091
Not sure how good they are shipping across the border

Oneway also sells direct: https://oneway.ca/products-category/chucks/Stronghold-Chucks-Category/Stronghold-Chuck-(Complete)

Reminder, these are Canuck Bucks...

Leo Van Der Loo
03-29-2017, 5:44 PM
Right from Oneway

$286.95 for a complete package, that is taper lock, key and jumbo woodworm screw included

$214.95 for body package only, has the taper lock included and key included.

Robert Henrickson
03-29-2017, 6:12 PM
In Canada, this is one of the best places: http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=45612&cat=1,330,69091
Not sure how good they are shipping across the border
Reminder, these are Canuck Bucks...

Lee Valley has no trouble selling in the US, and their website offers US $ pricing. I know from extensive experience.

Michael Schneider
03-29-2017, 9:56 PM
hartville hardware is having a 10%off sale on pretty much everything through march 31st. They have oneway and sorby chucks if you are looking. https://www.hartvilletool.com/category/turning-tools-and-accessories

Michael

Vince Welch
03-30-2017, 12:32 AM
FYI,
The insert is suppose to be included with the chuck per Oneway. Some dealers pull the insert and sell it separately getting an extra $25-35. Verify what comes with the package. If it were me... I would order from Oneway if I was not in a big hurry.

Peter Blair
03-30-2017, 9:42 AM
Buy direct!!!!! Don't forget the value or lack of for the Canadian $$. I have bought from Lee Valley but get better service directly from Oneway. Just my 2 cents worth! By the way I do believe it is one of the better chucks available. When you make the purchase think carefully about what you wish to hold with it and buy the chuck body and the jaws that best suite your plans.

Bill Jobe
03-31-2017, 7:07 AM
Since it comes with the no.2 jaws, I think I'll order the jaws that have the rubber inserts right away, then figure from there. That setup looks interesting...chucking on the rim of the bowl to finish the bottom .

Thomas Canfield
03-31-2017, 4:25 PM
Since it comes with the no.2 jaws, I think I'll order the jaws that have the rubber inserts right away, then figure from there. That setup looks interesting...chucking on the rim of the bowl to finish the bottom .

I have found the #3 or even #4 jaws to be very useful for larger turnings and almost never use my Cole jaws to grab the rim to return the bottom but would use a friction jam chuck and live center to turn down to a nub before getting a vacuum system. The friction jam chuck is still the only way to do the bottom on some of the natural edge pieces with worm holes as example.

Leo Van Der Loo
03-31-2017, 5:13 PM
Not every one turns in the same manner, here is where I use the Mega Jumbo jaws a lot and hardly ever a jamb chuck.

Having options on how you can hold pieces is very important, like some use vacuum a lot bot that doesn’t work always either, also the use of a faceplate is often the best and safest manner of holding a blank, rather than a chuck.

When ordering a chuck at Oneway you can ask for a different set of jaws, rather than the standard #2, the same as asking for the insert you need for your lathe.

Peter Blair
03-31-2017, 6:52 PM
I'm with Thomas. I have a lot of jaw sets and a set of Cole Jaws. Depending on what you are turning it is very possible that the money spent on Cole jaws would be better put to buy or build a vacuum chuck. I use mine all the time except when there are voids or texture or I turn real thin.

Bill Jobe
03-31-2017, 11:05 PM
Not every one turns in the same manner, here is where I use the Mega Jumbo jaws a lot and hardly ever a jamb chuck.

Having options on how you can hold pieces is very important, like some use vacuum a lot bot that doesn’t work always either, also the use of a faceplate is often the best and safest manner of holding a blank, rather than a chuck.

When ordering a chuck at Oneway you can ask for a different set of jaws, rather than the standard #2, the same as asking for the insert you need for your lathe.

Thanks for the tip, Leo. Which would you recommend for large bowls and vases?

Leo Van Der Loo
03-31-2017, 11:38 PM
Thanks for the tip, Leo. Which would you recommend for large bowls and vases?

I’d go for the #3, that will increase the size quite a bit, and don’t forget the Oneway jaws are good to hold over the full range of their chuck opening capacity, and not just at a very narrow range as is the case with the jaws of other makes using the dovetail jaws, as they do not have the patented jaws that Oneway uses, so they go up 5 ¼” inches compression and up to 6” into a recess.

Bill Jobe
04-04-2017, 10:39 AM
For some reason every time I click on any link to Oneway I get a warning from my security program that the site is unsafe. Anyone else experience this problem?

Bill Jobe
04-04-2017, 10:45 AM
Question about using chuck.
I have made 2 bowls, or rather small canisters for my daughter made from her walnut tree they cut down. They only need a small amount of machining, sanding and finish. How can I chuck them without messing up the finished piece before putting a finish on them? What do members do, place duct tape on the jaws?
I've never used a chuck for wood.

Roger Chandler
04-04-2017, 10:49 AM
That has happened before. I belive that Oneway had to make some security changes to their website a couple years back....perhaps they got hacked again? :confused:

Just FYI, Bill.......I think there are other chucks every bit good as the Oneway out there, and less expensive. Some brands that have come along in the last 4 or 5 years are as good IMO, and I think have a better key design, and keep out dust from the scroll gears because the back is enclosed. Perhaps you have your heart set upon the Oneway, but if you do, I wonder why? Don't misunderstand me, they are good chucks, but as I said, IMO there are better designs out there now for less money.

Bill Jobe
04-04-2017, 10:55 AM
One more dumb question, if you don't mind.
I plan to build my own dust removal system with a 3 hp 220 motor, some sort od separation, then outside for the rest.
I'm extremely anxious to make some pieces on my my new,Grizzly, but the dust removal won't happen overnight. I'm considering buying a HF system to use in the meantime, then sell the HF unit when I finish my more effecient 3 horse DIY unit.
The HF will be dedicated to the lathe only. Since I do most of my sanding by hand and the weather warming up, Ill do as much of it outside.
Make any sense?
If not what would you do instead?

Bill Jobe
04-04-2017, 11:03 AM
That has happened before. I belive that Oneway had to make some security changes to their website a couple years back....perhaps they got hacked again? :confused:

Just FYI, Bill.......I think there are other chucks every bit good as the Oneway out there, and less expensive. Some brands that have come along in the last 4 or 5 years are as good IMO, and I think have a better key design, and keep out dust from the scroll gears because the back is enclosed. Perhaps you have your heart set upon the Oneway, but if you do, I wonder why? Don't misunderstand me, they are good chucks, but as I said, IMO there are better designs out there now for less money.

Well, Roger, I simply based my decision on the opinions of members and it seems most are quite fond of the One Way, and I have no experience with wood chucks...only metal.
What would you suggest since I have not ordered a chuck yet?

Brice Rogers
04-04-2017, 1:59 PM
The 2 HP HF dust collector works pretty good and with a coupon you can get it for around $170 +/-.
But until you add the separator and vent outside, small dust will go through the 5 micron bag. Actually the amount of dust that escapes will decrease pretty rapidly with a stock unit - - the shavings, ribbons and chips will probably jam up the inlet in a few minutes. A DC for wood turning really needs some sort of separator (even a garbage can with a pair of fittings in/out will help).

The DC won't do much for the chips and ribbons of wood unless you are aiming the chips at the inlet. For a lot of cuts that doesn't work. If you buy or make a floor sweep for the DC, it really speeds up shop cleanup. But it works fairly good for lathe sanding. I find sanding it reverse makes it easier to comfortably position the sand paper for both sanding and maximizing the percent of dust that gets sucked up. I like to do the hand sanding outside also.

One more dumb question, if you don't mind.
I plan to build my own dust removal system with a 3 hp 220 motor, some sort od separation, then outside for the rest.
I'm extremely anxious to make some pieces on my my new,Grizzly, but the dust removal won't happen overnight. I'm considering buying a HF system to use in the meantime, then sell the HF unit when I finish my more effecient 3 horse DIY unit.
The HF will be dedicated to the lathe only. Since I do most of my sanding by hand and the weather warming up, Ill do as much of it outside.
Make any sense?
If not what would you do instead?

Roger Chandler
04-04-2017, 2:16 PM
Well, Roger, I simply based my decision on the opinions of members and it seems most are quite fond of the One Way, and I have no experience with wood chucks...only metal.
What would you suggest since I have not ordered a chuck yet?

I can only tell you what I use, and have been pleased with. I have 5 SuperNova 2's from Teknatool....only thing is they tighten left and loosen right turn, but that is not an issue at all to me. I also have 2 Hurricane HTC 100 chucks [ 4"] which is about the same size as the Oneway Stronghold, and one Hurricane HTC 125 chuck which is a 5" chuck and the Hurricane chucks are pretty much clones of the Vicmarcs. I have actually been impressed with the quality of the Hurricanes, and of course the SuperNova2's are pretty much a staple in the turning world. Some just don't like the left turn to tighten and right turn to loosen, but that is their design.

I am a member of two clubs and have used Oneway's, Vicmarcs [the Cadillac of chucks in my opinion] and SuperNova2's, Barracuda's from PSI, and a couple other brands..........IMO, the quality and value are both very solid in the Hurricane HTC's..........not a commercial from me, but a happy customer for sure, and I have been around a while! ;)

The Wood Turning Store is the place to get them, and if you will look them up, I think you will be impressed as well. Just be aware that most of the chuck brands have their own proprietary hole spacing for the jaws, so you need to find the brand you want and use that brand so that the jaws interchange with others you will acquire in the future.

http://www.thewoodturningstore.com/hurricane-htc100-4-woodturning-chuck-dovetail-jaws-with-insert/

Leo Van Der Loo
04-04-2017, 4:33 PM
For some reason every time I click on any link to Oneway I get a warning from my security program that the site is unsafe. Anyone else experience this problem?

No problem going there for me. as I just now went there, as I was looking for the jumbo jaw buttons that can be used on the chuck, to soft hold a small piece,

I also have used soft copper band to keep between the jaws and and the wood,

You could also use a recess to hold the piece and there would be no damage to the outside of the piece.

Here are some jaws, the #1 jaws would do the job for something small, The Oneway chucks are the only high quality chucks etc that are made in North America, and it shows, they don;t rust like many other far east products.

https://oneway.ca/index.php?route=product/category&path=59_69_97_161

Leo Van Der Loo
04-05-2017, 3:32 PM
Bill, you can Google to find a good price but remember that the chuck also requires the taper-lock adapter and that will add to the overall price.

Steve it should not cost extra, all the chucks even the body only set do come with a taper-lock adaptor, it is packed separately because of the need to have the right one for the lathe it goes on (size and TPI) but of course we will have resellers that try to ding you for that piece or make it look like they have a much better price by taking the adaptor away, which is nonsense, as you can not use the chuck without one.